RL Asgard vs Raptor

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

GCU Grey Area
x4

Re: RL Asgard vs Raptor

Post by GCU Grey Area » Mon, 10. Jan 22, 01:18

Ragnos28 wrote:
Mon, 10. Jan 22, 00:18
I see :) About destroyers being able to carry just as many fighters as a carrier, a big meh for me. And always, when I look at a Behemoth that store 40 fighters, my reaction is...where? how? how the f...what kind of sorcery is this? :o :lol:
In the case of Osaka is even more..how the f***. 40? where? :lol:
Cargo compression, I guess? Always been a thing in X games. That said, suspect it tends to be a self correcting issue for most. I mean does anyone actually use all that capacity? In my experience launch & retrieval gets rather tedious if you try to pack too many fighters into a non-carrier (particularly for Osaka etc with only 1 dock). Behemoth's better than most & keeping a few fighters around has certainly proved to be damn handy at times, but it's still no carrier. Really need a proper carrier with fast launch tubes in order to use that many fighters efficiently.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Wed, 12. Jan 22, 16:03

A fair comparison that needs to be made, is the cost of an Asgard vs the equivalent cost of a Raptor + fighters.

Although the equivalent cost of just fighters (no Raptor) vs an Asgard I suspect would win every time.

Ragnos28
x4

Post by Ragnos28 » Wed, 12. Jan 22, 20:21

Falcrack wrote:
Wed, 12. Jan 22, 16:03
A fair comparison that needs to be made, is the cost of an Asgard vs the equivalent cost of a Raptor + fighters.

Although the equivalent cost of just fighters (no Raptor) vs an Asgard I suspect would win every time.
I did some price checking in my game. If I were to sell my Raptor to a split shipyard I would get 56 kk. Funny enough, the ship price does not take in consideration the value of the ships that are docked on it, so 60 torpedo Chimera and 40 missile Chimera, did not factor in to the price at all. So, selling the fighters on their own, fech another 52-53 kk. If I order the Raptor with my configuration, flak on all m turetts, it would cost me 74kk.

Now on the Asgard, if I sell it I would get 90kk. Now, the terran shipyard will not build you and Asgard, but I imagine that the price will go up a bit.

The thing is, we either build or capture the Asgard, so is not really a matter of cost. Also, I only bought the Raptor, the Chimeras I build on my wharf, because I have cash but there is no way I would have spent that much money on fighters, plus good luck waiting for split shipyards to gather resources to build 100 ammo carring Chimeras.

And, as a personal opinion, it feels more satisfying when you have your Raptor complete with bombers and fighters, that having an Asgard. In theory, as soon as you have a Katana and 2 Sonra with marines, presto...you have an Asgard. In the case of the Raptor's fighter complement, you would most likely build them in your own wharf and you need some infrastructure in place for that, you can't capture 100 Chimera, I mean you could, but how much time will that take :roll: The same with capturing a Raptor, not so easy.

Imo, the fact that is so easy to board an Asgard, kinda defeat the purpose of the Asgard as an end game goal, as I imagine, was the vision the devs had in mind.

In conclusion, Asgard for busting stations, Raptor + fighter complement for when you must kill everything that flyes in a sector. The carriers are the "queens" of today battlefields and I'm pleased with the fact that X4 follow the same philosophy. :D

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Wed, 12. Jan 22, 20:55

Ragnos28 wrote:
Wed, 12. Jan 22, 20:21
the Chimeras I build on my wharf, because I have cash but there is no way I would have spent that much money on fighters, plus good luck waiting for split shipyards to gather resources to build 100 ammo carring Chimeras.
Can't possibly be as bad as building Boson Chimeras. During my ZYA Split game decided each of my 4 fleets absolutely needed 20 Boson-armed Chimeras, with this spec: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ejo4j5cc2bwxi ... 1.jpg?dl=0. 80 fighters x 1445 weapon components each was something of a logistical challenge to say the least. They were also ferociously expensive, to the point where I had to cut back the spec to mk3 engines only - the idea of spending destroyer money on S fighters (although could have afforded it) seemed faintly absurd. Was also another logistical nightmare I didn't really want to deal with.

Return to “X4: Foundations”