Egosofts rumored new standalone game: X-22

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Omni-Orb
x4

Egosofts rumored new standalone game: X-22

Post by Omni-Orb » Sun, 5. Dec 21, 05:39

I was made aware by 'mr.WHO' here on the forum that quote:
"There is nothing confirmed so far, but Egosoft received a goverment grant to make project codename X-22.
Before that, they received grants for both Pirate DLC and Terran DLC.

X-22 grant is triple the size of Pirate DLC."

Exciting news for sure. Hopefully a fresh standalone 'expansion' is exactly what this game needs now to remake the rules of old.
Im guessing that 'X-22' means end of 2022 as in when its finished.

Here is a translated page from the government grant page:
Content: "X-22" (working title) is a standalone, new game based on the successful space simulation / sandboxgame series "X" from EGOSOFT GmbH. Target platforms are Windows PC and Linux. It is a space simulation / sandboxgame with a living and fully simulated universe. It is based on a complete and real simulated economy that lives through supply and demand. The core idea of the game is to leave the possibility to the player to decide for himself by having the game universe open and different storylines and missions available at all times. The player can build an empire, build space stations, become the most feared pirate of the universe or simply follow the main plot of the game.
Funding amount: €941,587.00
Runtime: 15.09.2021-14.11.2022
Last edited by Omni-Orb on Sun, 5. Dec 21, 08:04, edited 1 time in total.
Credence follow stars.

LameFox
x4

Re: Egosofts new standalone game: X-22

Post by LameFox » Sun, 5. Dec 21, 07:07

I certainly cannot imagine that they could start and release a whole game within that time frame if it wasn't a new version of this one. That's just too much work for a year. That said, I don't know what 'runtime' means. Maybe 22 is just referring to starting development rather than projected release.

Or maybe it's X2, The Second. :mrgreen:
***modified***

DavidGW
x4

Post by DavidGW » Sun, 5. Dec 21, 08:02

Hmmm, X4-VR?

Omni-Orb
x4

Post by Omni-Orb » Sun, 5. Dec 21, 08:05

DavidGW wrote:
Sun, 5. Dec 21, 08:02
Hmmm, X4-VR?
My guess its a standalone expansion similar to how terran conflict and albion prelude where standalone expansions for x3
Credence follow stars.

LameFox
x4

Re: Egosofts rumored new standalone game: X-22

Post by LameFox » Sun, 5. Dec 21, 08:30

Didn't they try VR with Rebirth and end up having to make some kind of sacrifices to get it to perform properly? Like fewer ships or something? I have some vague memories of reading something about that.
***modified***

DavidGW
x4

Post by DavidGW » Sun, 5. Dec 21, 08:55

PhotonPulse wrote:
Sun, 5. Dec 21, 08:05
DavidGW wrote:
Hmmm, X4-VR?
My guess its a standalone expansion similar to how terran conflict and albion prelude where standalone expansions for x3
Maybe, but it is odd that we are talking about a stand alone expansion to a game that already has expansions. Maybe funding to release an X4 remaster, or some such thing? Whatever it is I’m intrigued!

DavidGW
x4

Post by DavidGW » Sun, 5. Dec 21, 09:01

LameFox wrote:
Sun, 5. Dec 21, 08:30
Didn't they try VR with Rebirth and end up having to make some kind of sacrifices to get it to perform properly? Like fewer ships or something? I have some vague memories of reading something about that.
I remember that. I’m pretty sure it was mentioned in one of the extended videos of a developer playing the game, but I don’t remember which video. However it’s all down to processing power, especially CPU, to keep the universe sim ticking along fast enough to push >90fps. Graphics quality can be lowered much more easily.

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Sun, 5. Dec 21, 09:41

Standalone expansions do have a precedent in X games though. I assume that the desire to maintain save compatibility for the duration of the game eventually leaves them with a bunch of changes they'd like to make, but cannot. Even if the saves won't technically break, they could easily thrash people's game universes while attempting to balance something. I have wondered sometimes if that is why the ship and weapon balance in this game has had so little variety to it.
***modified***

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sun, 5. Dec 21, 10:52

DavidGW wrote:
Hmmm, X4-VR?
This, or analog of X3TC or X3AP.

Notice that word "player" is always mentioned in singular form, so I think we can exclude the Multi-Player as a main feature (venture <yuck>, are still possible).

My Bet is that this will be stand alone like Albion Prelude or Terran conflict, and will finally add Borons.
Note that Egosoft mentioned several times that they do work on Boron, but they are hard to implement with current X4.
New stand alone game will be perfect for Boron implementation.

This would be also safest bet from Egosoft business side:
- Still single player (not much of a competition, while MP is getting crowded)
- long term fans are missing Borons
- new stand alone game, that doesn't require previous DLCs will encourage new players, plus it will allow to finally polish several (dozen) missing things of X4.

All above would also apply for VR, but VR is still much smaller market and X4 is not nice to sit several hours in VR.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sun, 5. Dec 21, 10:57

Important!

"Runtime: 15.09.2021-14.11.2022"

Notice that previous grants for Split, Terran and Pirate had similiar runtime, so we can expect this game either:
- Christmas 2022 - unlikely, all 3 previous DLC had this release date postponed :D
- Q1 2023 - all previous DLCs had postponed release here

This also indicate there will be no more DLC for X4 for some time, possibly many "free" updates as X4 and new stand-alone share the code-engine, so some things can be use to update X4.
Note that updated Paranid ships, might be the byproduct of X-22, which started in September :D

Omni-Orb
x4

Post by Omni-Orb » Sun, 5. Dec 21, 11:00

mr.WHO wrote:
Sun, 5. Dec 21, 10:52
All above would also apply for VR, but VR is still much smaller market and X4 is not nice to sit several hours in VR.
VR in a game where menu systems are a big gameplay feature, i dont think that would work either.
Credence follow stars.

Flippi
x3tc

Post by Flippi » Sun, 5. Dec 21, 11:10

I doubt that this runtime is indicating any possible release date. It's more likely that this is the timeframe, the funds are paid out. I don't think Egosoft just received a million € at once. It's more likely that they get a fraction of that money every month to pay for the development cost in parts.

I also think that this new game will be a standalone X4 game, to make sure everyone starts at the same point. Not every current X4 player has the DLC's after all. And also to get rid of things, Egosoft can't change due to 'savegame-compatibility'.
KI Schiffsnamen/AI Shipnames
ETNO Mod Techdemo/Ressources Release: English / Deutsch

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sun, 5. Dec 21, 11:16

Flippi wrote:
Sun, 5. Dec 21, 11:10
I doubt that this runtime is indicating any possible release date. It's more likely that this is the timeframe, the funds are paid out. I don't think Egosoft just received a million € at once. It's more likely that they get a fraction of that money every month to pay for the development cost in parts.
Except that you literally have 3 examples of those timelines working as I described.
THey are good approximation of release date.

Flippi
x3tc

Post by Flippi » Sun, 5. Dec 21, 11:21

Except that you literally have 3 examples of those timelines working as I described.
Sorry, but they are not. DLC's are a different thing than a new game. New games have other issues and need a lot more testing. And depending on the current development state of X-22, it's simply not enough time to get the game ready in 2022.

Egosoft made the mistake of releasing games early several times. X3R and XR come to mind. XR was even delayed for a few years, but that development time wasn't enough for the game to be good at launch.
KI Schiffsnamen/AI Shipnames
ETNO Mod Techdemo/Ressources Release: English / Deutsch

The Q
Pancake Award Winner 2017

Post by The Q » Sun, 5. Dec 21, 11:35

mr.WHO wrote:
Sun, 5. Dec 21, 11:16
Flippi wrote:
Sun, 5. Dec 21, 11:10
Tides of Avarice (development name "AHOY") also got funding from the BMVI. As you can see here, the funding duration was from 15.02.2021 to 14.09.2021. Nevertheless, ToA is announced to be released in Q1 2022. Therefore, Flippi is right: The release date does not have to be at the end of the funding duration, but can be much later.
Morkonan, Emperor of the Unaffiliated Territories of the Principality of OFF-TOPIC, wrote:I have come to answer your questions! The answers are "Yes" and "Probably" as well as "No" and "Maybe", but I'm not sure in which order they should be given.
xkcd: Duty calls

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sun, 5. Dec 21, 11:47

The Q wrote:
Sun, 5. Dec 21, 11:35
Tides of Avarice (development name "AHOY") also got funding from the BMVI. As you can see here, the funding duration was from 15.02.2021 to 14.09.2021. Nevertheless, ToA is announced to be released in Q1 2022. Therefore, Flippi is right: The release date does not have to be at the end of the funding duration, but can be much later.
Notice that it was first time, where Egosoft started not only free full update and DLC, but also X-22 in the same time, thus some longer delay than previous DLCs is natural.
Still, one quarter of delay is still close approximation of release date.

Matthew94
xr

Post by Matthew94 » Sun, 5. Dec 21, 12:07

It'll be a kart racing game set on the Boron homeworld.

builder680
x4

Post by builder680 » Sun, 5. Dec 21, 16:08

Matthew94 wrote:
Sun, 5. Dec 21, 12:07
It'll be a kart racing game set on the Boron homeworld.
So... aquarium hot-rods?

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sun, 5. Dec 21, 16:23

builder680 wrote:
Sun, 5. Dec 21, 16:08
So... aquarium hot-rods?
Damn, I'd love to see X4 style game in underwater setting (like having full control over all ships, bases, teritory), kinda like Subnautica or SeaQuest.

Bastelfred
x4

Post by Bastelfred » Sun, 5. Dec 21, 20:13

Runtime: 15.09.2021-14.11.2022
This is only a time window for funding. The project does not have to appear in 2022, it can appear 5 years later. The only commitment is that a finished product will appear at some point. When that happens doesn't matter.

It can also simply be a follow-up financing for X4. Then nothing new comes at all.

Or it's the DLC4 as a stand alone so that basic things can be changed in the X4 universe, like sunlight everywhere variable etc. Things that Ego doesn't want to change in the current game to not annoy the long term players.

Return to “X4: Foundations”