Is the Discoverer better than the Elite in combat?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

What ship is better in combat:

Elite-Fighter
No votes
Discoverer-Scout
100%

Total votes: 16

Omni-Orb
x4

Is the Discoverer better than the Elite in combat?

Post by Omni-Orb » Wed, 1. Dec 21, 10:36

Am i correct in thinking that the discoverer is better than the elite in combat?
The elite is called a fighter while the discoverer is called a scout, however it seems the discoverer is better for fighting
Credence follow stars.

LameFox
x4

Re: Is the Discoverer better than the Elite in combat?

Post by LameFox » Wed, 1. Dec 21, 10:40

I think the Elite is more manoeuvrable while the Disco has speed and (hilariously) firepower on its side. I don't know which one would win a fight in AI hands but I prefer the Discoverer as a starting ship.

Also I'm just not a fan of the Elite's design in this game. Leans a bit too hard into the 'space has drag' look...
***modified***

Flippi
x3tc

Post by Flippi » Wed, 1. Dec 21, 11:23

Am i correct in thinking that the discoverer is better than the elite in combat?
The elite is called a fighter while the discoverer is called a scout, however it seems the discoverer is better for fighting
The Elite is really underwhelming in terms of performance. Not just because it only has one gun. Either make it faster, with higher afterburner speed, or give it two wing tipped missile launchers or something like that. It really needs a buff of some kind in my opinion.
Also I'm just not a fan of the Elite's design in this game. Leans a bit too hard into the 'space has drag' look...
I somewhat like that design though. Why shouldn't space fighter look like they could fly in atmosphere? In older games, there were cutscenes with fighters flying in atmosphere (or underwater, cue X2 Boron planets). So having a flying brick probably wouldn't be a good idea. It simply doesn't cost anything to make your fighters have some kind of aerodynamics.
KI Schiffsnamen/AI Shipnames
ETNO Mod Techdemo/Ressources Release: English / Deutsch

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 1. Dec 21, 11:44

When first starting out in the starter Elite, my usual ship progression is to use the Elite to capture a Disco, the Disco to capture a Falcon, and then the Falcon becomes my first serious (if slow) fighter that will allow me to take on and capture a Minotaur Raider from which I can start boarding capitals.

This is not a hard and fast sequence, but more the typical case. (I try to avoid getting the known abandoned ships too soon, as they can be early gameplay spoilers.)
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Lord Crc
x4

Post by Lord Crc » Wed, 1. Dec 21, 14:31

Showing my ignorance, how do you capture fighters? I know you can claim abandoned ones, but that happens very seldom for me, I usually have bought several medium+ ships by then.

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Wed, 1. Dec 21, 14:39

Lord Crc wrote:
Wed, 1. Dec 21, 14:31
Showing my ignorance, how do you capture fighters? I know you can claim abandoned ones, but that happens very seldom for me, I usually have bought several medium+ ships by then.
Get them to low health and follow them around gently tapping their shields until they give up and eject.
***modified***

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Wed, 1. Dec 21, 14:40

Lord Crc wrote:
Given enough time every fighter/corvette/M-freighter pilot bails - this is tied to the moral value.
(I usually don't bother trying to force a pilot with moral value higher then 2)

One simply has to fly fast (boosting helps) while shooting down the shields in a very short time. If the hull value is low enough (~20%) there is a chance that the pilot panics and abandons the ship. This works for S and M ships.

Starting a new playthrough, I tend to cap a few M vessels and some S ships to earn some easy money while also having fun. As opponents, I mostly pick pirate factions.

---

@OP
Discoverer is more helpful in combat as it has 2 weapons. The Elite is my favorite small argon ship which I usually use as shuttle.
Last edited by chew-ie on Wed, 1. Dec 21, 14:42, edited 1 time in total.

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]

SirBerrial
x4

Post by SirBerrial » Wed, 1. Dec 21, 14:41

Lord Crc wrote:
Keep the shield down, get hp to a half and plink at the ship till crew bails.

Omni-Orb
x4

Post by Omni-Orb » Wed, 1. Dec 21, 20:08

If the discoverer truly is better than the elite in combat then maybe the elite should be named scout and the discoverer should be a fighter?
Credence follow stars.

Lord Crc
x4

Post by Lord Crc » Wed, 1. Dec 21, 22:12

Thanks guys for the info, gonna try that on the next pirate ship.

jasonbarron
x4

Post by jasonbarron » Wed, 1. Dec 21, 22:18

After the pilot ejects don't forget to shoot his little EV before he makes his escape.
Ayn Rand was correct.

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Wed, 1. Dec 21, 22:26

Im not sure about the poll. I expect that the Elite will be better in OOS combat (more survivable), IS I doubt it will benefit enough from its maneuverability to make a difference. It is tougher though. Also only having one weapon it potentially could have similar dps to the disco if you use higher heat weapons.

Bastelfred
x4

Post by Bastelfred » Wed, 1. Dec 21, 22:49

More firepower = better.
I don't artfully fly after the enemies for an hour, I just beat them to death in seconds.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 1. Dec 21, 22:52

A scout goes alone into wilderness. It has to cope on its own.
Fighters are members of a unit, they have comrades.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Fulgrymm
x4

Post by Fulgrymm » Wed, 1. Dec 21, 23:16

Scouts coping on their own used to be accomplished with very fast speed compared to everything else. I kind of wish they'd go back to that.

Lord Crc
x4

Post by Lord Crc » Wed, 1. Dec 21, 23:22

jasonbarron wrote:
Wed, 1. Dec 21, 22:18
After the pilot ejects don't forget to shoot his little EV before he makes his escape.
Always, I take no prisoners! :twisted:

Return to “X4: Foundations”