Hilarious lesson learned

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

builder680
x4

Hilarious lesson learned

Post by builder680 » Tue, 30. Nov 21, 10:33

I was building a trade depot and decided to have a look around during the construction. I kept hanging out there while I went about managing my military and trade assets for a couple hours using the map screen. After a while I decided I'd rather have my trade depot somewhere else, so I deconstructed the first one and set up a new one in a different sector. Once the first one was done deconstructing, I went to delete its plot and was greeted with...

GAME OVER

:lol:

Luckily, I had just saved the game for other reasons. :)

Ragnos28
x4

Re: Hilarious lesson learned

Post by Ragnos28 » Tue, 30. Nov 21, 10:39

builder680 wrote:
Tue, 30. Nov 21, 10:33
I was building a trade depot and decided to have a look around during the construction. I kept hanging out there while I went about managing my military and trade assets for a couple hours using the map screen. After a while I decided I'd rather have my trade depot somewhere else, so I deconstructed the first one and set up a new one in a different sector. Once the first one was done deconstructing, I went to delete its plot and was greeted with...

GAME OVER

:lol:

Luckily, I had just saved the game for other reasons. :)
Yeap...once you see that the station you are on begin to deconstruct...is "beam me up, Scotty" time :mrgreen:

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 30. Nov 21, 11:13

So, what did being slowly taken apart by nano-deconstructors actually feel like?
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Tue, 30. Nov 21, 11:27

LOL, so you've been in real life equivalent of buidling with demolition charges that are about to set off :D

builder680
x4

Post by builder680 » Tue, 30. Nov 21, 12:22

Alan Phipps wrote:
Tue, 30. Nov 21, 11:13
So, what did being slowly taken apart by nano-deconstructors actually feel like?
It felt like a 30 second loading screen to the main menu... and another couple minutes loading back in. :P

Although it's odd, I was standing in the manager's office the whole time. When I loaded back in so I could teleport away this time (before deleting the plot), I was in the manager's office, but it had already been deconstructed on the "Configure station" screen. So apparently the room stays if you're still in it, even though it's been deleted already - because, as demonstrated, you can delete the plot at that point. Mildly interesting.

Edit to add:

NOW I wonder what I would have done without teleportation. Maybe there's still a way out via your spacesuit at the elevator. Gonna have to check...

Edit again:

Well I just checked. You can go to the elevator but the only destinations are engineering and security. There is no space suit option. So if building back the station doesn't work (not gonna bother checking that), you'd be stuck until you research teleportation. Nasty potential trap there.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 30. Nov 21, 14:14

I think that after that unfortunate self-inflicted rebuilding experience we should demote your forum username to builder340. :D

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Tue, 30. Nov 21, 14:43

builder680 wrote:
Tue, 30. Nov 21, 12:22
Well I just checked. You can go to the elevator but the only destinations are engineering and security. There is no space suit option. So if building back the station doesn't work (not gonna bother checking that), you'd be stuck until you research teleportation. Nasty potential trap there.
The airlock is located in the landing area in every station. For this reason if there is no landing area (S/M dock) the option to get to an EVA suit is not there....

Edit: Builder 170 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Tue, 30. Nov 21, 15:27

dtpsprt wrote:
Tue, 30. Nov 21, 14:43
The airlock is located in the landing area in every station. For this reason if there is no landing area (S/M dock) the option to get to an EVA suit is not there....
I once had generic mission, which did require a visit to NPC station. They did not have S/M dock at the time. There seemed to be a pier, but that did not seem to work either. Mission Guidance or (flight tower) did suggest this or that, but fact was that there were no way in. Luckily, they were (re)building, so after a while I got green light.

@builder680: It took me a while to grasp what you told. Never have I had even a whim of idea of walking on station that is under construction. X2: I was in ship and skipped cutscenes. X3: I was in ship and cursed cutscenes. X4: being in same sector is unnecessary, accidental, and brief -- a great relief after X3. :oops:

That said, running the deck to my ship while Xenon bombard the station is fun. :roll:
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Tue, 30. Nov 21, 15:35

Station construction does not kill, it is station deconstruction that does as the final step is to delete/remove the module, killing anything attached to it.

Eyeklops
x4

Post by Eyeklops » Tue, 30. Nov 21, 17:49

I've done that before. I've also died when the Terran dock I was hanging out on in Saturn decided to get blowed up. I heard the fighting going on and never thought it would happen. Now when I hear fighting from the dock area I teleport to another station.

For performance reasons my typical hangout is usually a Terran solar power plant in Mercury. Chilling out there not too long ago when sirens and flashing lights that I've never heard before started up. When I checked the map the only thing left was the dock I was standing on. Apparently my massive Getsu solar power plant and distribution network made the Terrans decide that this particular station was no longer needed and they were deconstructing it.

builder680
x4

Post by builder680 » Tue, 30. Nov 21, 18:52

Alan Phipps wrote:
Tue, 30. Nov 21, 14:14
I think that after that unfortunate self-inflicted rebuilding experience we should demote your forum username to builder340. :D
LOL

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 30. Nov 21, 23:11

Imperial Good wrote:
Tue, 30. Nov 21, 15:35
Station construction does not kill, it is station deconstruction that does as the final step is to delete/remove the module, killing anything attached to it.
Ah, but it can! Early one game I was sitting near an NPC build storage waiting for one of my transports to get there so I could steal their supplies. The NPC builder started building a new L/XL docking pier in my location with me inside it! I didn't notice it until those bits and pieces started to show up around me. So I tried flying out of it, with no success. I didn't yet have teleportation researched, so I couldn't jump to another ship. And I didn't have a large enough ship to blast my way clear (which the NPC's would've taken exception to, anyway). So I was stuck. The only way out was to reload, which is effectively 'dying' in this case since my last save was several hours old. Moral of the story: watch where you park. :doh:

tl;dr Station construction can kill you. :lol:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Wed, 1. Dec 21, 11:33

Nanook wrote:
Tue, 30. Nov 21, 23:11
Ah, but it can! Early one game I was sitting near an NPC build storage waiting for one of my transports to get there so I could steal their supplies. The NPC builder started building a new L/XL docking pier in my location with me inside it! I didn't notice it until those bits and pieces started to show up around me. So I tried flying out of it, with no success. I didn't yet have teleportation researched, so I couldn't jump to another ship. And I didn't have a large enough ship to blast my way clear (which the NPC's would've taken exception to, anyway). So I was stuck. The only way out was to reload, which is effectively 'dying' in this case since my last save was several hours old. Moral of the story: watch where you park.
In that situation it is usually sufficient to order your copilot to fly you out. Although it might take a few minutes, they usually end up phasing their way out.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 1. Dec 21, 11:50

Similarly, if you wait until a suitable flat external panel of the station module has constructed, you can usually (in a small fighter and with patience and a lot of ship rolling) push and clip your way out through it all by yourself. That's a trick I first found about back when important data leaks used to be spawned inside station structures. (OK, OK, it's an exploit - I know. :D )

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 2. Dec 21, 03:14

@Imperial Good: I had no copilot. I'd just sent them out to claim a ship. I was on my own.

@Alan Phipps: Not an option. I was in Pontifex Claim. The building had stopped due to a Godrealm attack and a lack of building supplies. I didn't want to sit and spectate for the next however many hours it would've taken. And there was no guarantee that I could escape a Paranid 3-dock E pier in that fashion (not many flat surface, you know).
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Return to “X4: Foundations”