Player made defence platform are worthwhile?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Szynszyl
x4

Player made defence platform are worthwhile?

Post by Szynszyl » Mon, 29. Nov 21, 15:17

Hello,

I want protect Argon Shipyard on Argon Prime, and i think about building defence platform, this is good idea? I play on beta so Xenons are stronger than in legacy version.

LameFox
x4

Re: Player made defence platform are worthwhile?

Post by LameFox » Mon, 29. Nov 21, 15:31

If you can put it in such a place that it catches them on the way there, it can work. Weapons in this game have very short ranges relative to the size of objects, though, so you need to be precise. I am not sure if it matters OOS (this seems to change a lot) but IS you'd probably want it to have some fast tracking argon lasers to tap things and get their attention, and some bigger guns and flak to finish them off and reach further out. Maybe missiles if you can procure them.

Thankfully now that you can see the system while designing your station, you can at least be sure it's getting as close to where you need it as possible.
***modified***

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Mon, 29. Nov 21, 16:20

Often build defence platforms myself, particularly guarding important trade routes. How effective they are depends on how many turrets they have & as far as I can tell that's as many as you want to fit (can be 1000's of turrets if you think it's really necessary). This is typical of the sort of defence platform I've been building in recent games:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0nkcy56wt77si ... 1.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oqpn0vbjegn4a ... 1.jpg?dl=0

Generally though prefer not to own the defence platforms myself - don't want to end up accidentally owning a sector if all the NPC defence platforms get destroyed (they're often much less well armed than the ones I build). Instead I take a lot of build missions to provide my NPC allies with adequate defences. Argon v Xenon missions can be handy for this, they'll even pay for construction of defence platforms in sectors they don't own, as long as they do have one nearby. However in a pinch any build mission can effectively end up as a functional defence platform. Mostly it's just a matter of adding appropriate production, storage modules & docks onto a standard defence platform design:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/y92iipt07y7lq ... 1.jpg?dl=0

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Mon, 29. Nov 21, 17:05

GCU Grey Area wrote:
Mon, 29. Nov 21, 16:20
... any build mission can effectively end up as a functional defence platform. Mostly it's just a matter of adding appropriate production, storage modules & docks onto a standard defence platform design
And ... if the modules required by the mission are first in the plan and the "sugar on the top" defenses after, then the mission completes ASAP, and the NPC continues to build (i.e. pays for build materials) the plan to completion.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Szynszyl
x4

Post by Szynszyl » Mon, 29. Nov 21, 17:48

ok thx for all answers :)

Return to “X4: Foundations”