Not another DLC without any highways

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Matthew94
xr

Re: Not another DLC without any highways

Post by Matthew94 » Sat, 27. Nov 21, 23:09

Nanook wrote:
Sat, 27. Nov 21, 21:25
Gween wrote:
Sat, 27. Nov 21, 18:36
2 - A game that constantly "forces" you to fly from one end of the universe to another (for example from sol sectors to Trinity Sanctum) to buy a single blueprint or a police license or something similar, shouldn't force you through unneccessarily long travel times too...
You seem to be forgetting the game-changing mechanic of Teleportation. :P Once you have that, as long as you position ships wherever you need to go, travel of any sort becomes trivial. So again, no need for both travel drive and highways.
Awful; 100% no. What a terrible idea for gameplay. Just make it an RTS at that point and abandon any pretence that the player is part of the universe.

That's like bringing the jump drive back but in the most awkward form possible.
Last edited by Matthew94 on Sat, 27. Nov 21, 23:12, edited 3 times in total.

Gween
x4

Post by Gween » Sat, 27. Nov 21, 23:11

Nanook wrote:
Sat, 27. Nov 21, 21:25
Gween wrote:
Sat, 27. Nov 21, 18:36
2 - A game that constantly "forces" you to fly from one end of the universe to another (for example from sol sectors to Trinity Sanctum) to buy a single blueprint or a police license or something similar, shouldn't force you through unneccessarily long travel times too...
You seem to be forgetting the game-changing mechanic of Teleportation. :P Once you have that, as long as you position ships wherever you need to go, travel of any sort becomes trivial. So again, no need for both travel drive and highways. So, ditch the highways. I did in my games and I've never had a problem getting anywhere, and neither have my AI-piloted ships.

That said, I'm quite happy with the current travel drive speeds. I certainly wouldn't want them slowed down to 1000 max. That would mean most ships would go much slower, or all ships would be able to max out at that speed. How would a 'fast' fighter ever catch a 'slow' freighter if everybody went the same speed? Imagine a police car chasing a bad guy on the highway who couldn't exceed the posted speed limit. Riiiigghtt. :P
Oh, ditching highways isn't a problem (though they'd have to be removed completely, not just not adding new ones), My point went more against a ~1000m/s travelspeed restriction. And yeeeees, I know that teleporting is a thing (if you wanna be bothered to send a ship to every location that might be somewhat important for you)

jasonbarron
x4

Post by jasonbarron » Sun, 28. Nov 21, 00:37

Welp, looks like a bunch of disagreement and that's fine, everyone has their own taste. I don't like COD paced gameplay but perhaps I'm in a minority.

I'm just happy to see that Ego isn't adding the highways to the DLC :D
Ayn Rand was correct.

snwboardn21
x4

Post by snwboardn21 » Sun, 28. Nov 21, 01:00

What would be cool is having the ability to build your own highways.
"It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt"

Return to “X4: Foundations”