Odysseus remake!??

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Re: Odysseus remake!??

Post by Tamina » Thu, 25. Nov 21, 20:47

Alm888 wrote:
Thu, 25. Nov 21, 20:36
Tamina wrote:
Thu, 25. Nov 21, 20:25
Isn't Zeus the one in the very first post? (no idea)
No, that would be "Atlas"

And here is the remodeled hairdryer. Yes, a Behemoth still can not shoot at the target and hit. :(
That is the ship in the first post :P

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Alm888
x4

Post by Alm888 » Thu, 25. Nov 21, 20:52

Tamina wrote:
Thu, 25. Nov 21, 20:47
That is the ship in the first post :P
It seems you are right. Somehow, I've missed the entire first page of this thread. *facepalm*

But I don't think we were shown a Zeus yet.

Alith-Ahnar
Xtreme
Xtreme
x4

Post by Alith-Ahnar » Thu, 25. Nov 21, 22:03

Wonder how the Zeus turns out.
As none of the pictures include it.
X2: You better go play with asteroids!/You losssssee profitsssss!
X4: Chelt are better pilot then you!/Machine behave badly Split switch off.

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Thu, 25. Nov 21, 22:26

Alm888 wrote:
Thu, 25. Nov 21, 20:36
Yes, a Behemoth still can not shoot at the target and hit. :(
I noticed that. I posted a beta thread about this issue a long time ago *pulls hair out*.
But lovely ships eh? :)

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Thu, 25. Nov 21, 22:32

My personal preference would be to keep the old models, and just add new ships for more variety. But if the old ones are replaced in vanilla, I'm sure they'll find a place in mods.

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Thu, 25. Nov 21, 22:46

linolafett wrote:
Thu, 25. Nov 21, 19:42
We did redo all paranid capital ships to make them match the quality of the ships released in the dlcs.
There is no new paranid battleship.

As far as i know:
The new ships will replace the old ones in new gamestarts.
In existing games the old ones will stay (for the player). The NPC factions will build/buy the new ones and slowly fade out the old designs that way.
That's actually pretty nice, seeing the new model introduced over time in a game-in-progress. It would be sorta nice to still see the odd ship of the old design in a fresh game though, perhaps in the hands of Pirates. I recall loving modded X3 where old X2 ships were re-introduced and seen around the universe.

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Thu, 25. Nov 21, 22:53

Awesome. It's funny, I was describing not long ago what I'd like the Odysseus to look like and that's pretty much exactly it. I'll have to start actually capping some.
***modified***

Ormac
x4

Post by Ormac » Thu, 25. Nov 21, 22:58

mr.WHO wrote:
Thu, 25. Nov 21, 19:56
linolafett wrote:
Thu, 25. Nov 21, 19:52
I personally think, that the old ships should not be used anymore, they are really out of date and players do spot that. It makes the game look worse, if we keep em.
IMO I don't like good models going to waste.
The "old ships" could be retconned to be previous-generation ships that have been phased out and sold to the minor factions - HAT, SCA and ALI fits perfectly with those sub-par models - here, their "ugliness" would be actually an asset.
I actually like the idea that Alliance of Word could inherit the blueprints of the exisiting (pre 5.0) Paranid Capships. Fits I think with Alliance lore to preserve the history of the Commomwealth of Planets.

Don't think it will work that way though. The new blueprint which the factions will prefer will just produce the new ships to replace losses of the old ones.

So will both sets of ship blueprints be available for purchase.

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Thu, 25. Nov 21, 23:20

linolafett wrote:
And the new ships are free for everyone! *party* They are included in the 5.0 update.
These new designs are looking RAD! Kudos to you and the other asset creators!
:D
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

Alith-Ahnar
Xtreme
Xtreme
x4

Post by Alith-Ahnar » Fri, 26. Nov 21, 01:44

Ormac wrote:
Thu, 25. Nov 21, 22:58
mr.WHO wrote:
linolafett wrote:
Thu, 25. Nov 21, 19:52
I personally think, that the old ships should not be used anymore, they are really out of date and players do spot that. It makes the game look worse, if we keep em.
IMO I don't like good models going to waste.
The "old ships" could be retconned to be previous-generation ships that have been phased out and sold to the minor factions - HAT, SCA and ALI fits perfectly with those sub-par models - here, their "ugliness" would be actually an asset.
I actually like the idea that Alliance of Word could inherit the blueprints of the exisiting (pre 5.0) Paranid Capships. Fits I think with Alliance lore to preserve the history of the Commomwealth of Planets.

Don't think it will work that way though. The new blueprint which the factions will prefer will just produce the new ships to replace losses of the old ones.

So will both sets of ship blueprints be available for purchase.
Looking at the placement of Turrets and pictures the Scale of the New Paranid Capitals are substantially bigger than what they are now, this is going to have a substantial impact on combat effectiveness compared to the old hulls.
Having Two ships with the same name but different levels of effectiveness just by nature of the Ship geometry alone is reason enough to have only one type of Shiphull in-game.
X2: You better go play with asteroids!/You losssssee profitsssss!
X4: Chelt are better pilot then you!/Machine behave badly Split switch off.

Biggtex
x4

Post by Biggtex » Fri, 26. Nov 21, 02:50

linolafett wrote:
Thu, 25. Nov 21, 19:42
We did redo all paranid capital ships to make them match the quality of the ships released in the dlcs.
There is no new paranid battleship.

As far as i know:
The new ships will replace the old ones in new gamestarts.
In existing games the old ones will stay (for the player). The NPC factions will build/buy the new ones and slowly fade out the old designs that way.
Amazing work. Truly shows your commitment to improving and expanding the game. Unheard of support and it is greatly appreciated.

Looks beautiful and can’t wait for 5.0.

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Fri, 26. Nov 21, 03:02

Alith-Ahnar wrote:
Fri, 26. Nov 21, 01:44
Looking at the placement of Turrets and pictures the Scale of the New Paranid Capitals are substantially bigger than what they are now, this is going to have a substantial impact on combat effectiveness compared to the old hulls.
Having Two ships with the same name but different levels of effectiveness just by nature of the Ship geometry alone is reason enough to have only one type of Shiphull in-game.
Would have to screencap some at the same angles to be sure, but at least with the Odysseus it looks like it's longer and narrower, judging by the pad. So I guess it depends what angle you are firing from.

Having said that, I've never noticed a massive difference when it comes to size. Few weapon types seem to have much spread in this game and large ships don't do a lot of dodging or strafing outside of player hands (and even then, only at long ranges with slow projectiles). It seems like if something misses them it's usually because it aimed for a peculiar point on the ship that lead to firing at open space, and this part happens due to angle even if the target is stationary.
***modified***

Omni-Orb
x4

Post by Omni-Orb » Fri, 26. Nov 21, 03:39

Looks more like a sci fi space gun now instead of a hairdryer. I like it :) Good job Egosoft!
Credence follow stars.

Ormac
x4

Post by Ormac » Fri, 26. Nov 21, 04:13

LameFox wrote:
Fri, 26. Nov 21, 03:02
Alith-Ahnar wrote:
Would have to screencap some at the same angles to be sure, but at least with the Odysseus it looks like it's longer and narrower, judging by the pad. So I guess it depends what angle you are firing from.

Having said that, I've never noticed a massive difference when it comes to size. Few weapon types seem to have much spread in this game and large ships don't do a lot of dodging or strafing outside of player hands (and even then, only at long ranges with slow projectiles). It seems like if something misses them it's usually because it aimed for a peculiar point on the ship that lead to firing at open space, and this part happens due to angle even if the target is stationary.
Yeah It's longer but I think the beam (width) of the ship is about the same. The Gorgon streamlined plating may make it seem broader than it is. The M turrets may have been repositioned somewhat but aside from the forward L turret maybe beeing pushed forward it looks like the loadouts and firing arcs are equivelent.

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Fri, 26. Nov 21, 04:24

Ormac wrote:
Fri, 26. Nov 21, 04:13
LameFox wrote:
Fri, 26. Nov 21, 03:02
Alith-Ahnar wrote:

Yeah It's longer but I think the beam (width) of the ship is about the same. The Gorgon streamlined plating may make it seem broader than it is. The M turrets may have been repositioned somewhat but aside from the forward L turret maybe beeing pushed forward it looks like the loadouts and firing arcs are equivelent.
I dont think its much bigger than the vanilla oddy at all, its just better made and portrays a sense of scale much better. Its just better. Very happy with this fleet remake. Looking forward to the fixes to teladi!! (Keep the mushrooms please).

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Fri, 26. Nov 21, 04:30

Do the Teladi need fixing? I don't like the jellyfish personally but I don't think the models are bad, it's just not my taste. That said the stubby ones do look a bit sillier than the longer ones. I think the Stork really pulled it off best.
***modified***

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Fri, 26. Nov 21, 04:45

LameFox wrote:
Fri, 26. Nov 21, 04:30
Do the Teladi need fixing? I don't like the jellyfish personally but I don't think the models are bad, it's just not my taste. That said the stubby ones do look a bit sillier than the longer ones. I think the Stork really pulled it off best.
I think they need fixing, they havent had the attention they require. The 'idea' of the mushrooms, the overall intention is fine, they are just rushed and uninspired.
I think egosoft are gonna nail it with them... the changes to paranid are the proof of what can happen when they have time.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 26. Nov 21, 07:55

LameFox wrote:
Fri, 26. Nov 21, 04:30
I'd say keep the frontal mushroom, but remake the rear part to looks more like Teladi ships from X3 (aka more industrial and unrefined and crude).

For Argons, I'd say they need a bit of re-skin and surface remodel to looks less X3 Terran-ish and slightly get back to X3 Argon roots.

x4

Post by 13913408324 » Fri, 26. Nov 21, 08:03

AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

budforceuk
x4

Post by budforceuk » Fri, 26. Nov 21, 08:57

Egosoft stand out from other developers on how much work they are continuing to put into this game.

It's worth every penny.

Return to “X4: Foundations”