Woes of late game Player Shipyard GUI - Egosoft please read

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mr.WHO
x4

Woes of late game Player Shipyard GUI - Egosoft please read

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 24. Nov 21, 19:07

With incoming DLC I think there is a huge problem with clutter of too many items of player shipyard menu - the main reason is that there are too many blueprints for GUI to handle in eye friendly way.

As I said with incoming DLC the issue will only arise.

1) Please make ship size dropdown more granular, to declutter the ship model menu.

The S/M/L/XL was ok in base/vanilla game, but now, trying to find anything, especially in S or M size category is scroll nightmare.
It would be much better to make granularity, along ship type like:

S - Combat
S - Utility
M - Combat
M - Utility
L - Combat
L - Utility
XL - Combat
XL - Utility

Later on, possibly even more like L - Destroyers, XL - Construction Vechicle if we will have even more ships etc.

2) Weapon and equipment should be sorted by the equipment, not by race - it would be much more usefull to have all Pulse turrets together, rather than all argon turrets together.

The GUI was clearly made when there was only 3 Vanilla races - now it's not so good when we have many races:
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ ... BE8055598/

Even better, it would be to have GUI overhaul, to have 3-stage selection:
Stage 1 - select equipment/weapon
Stage 2 - select race (ARG, TEL, TER etc.)
Stage 3 - select mk.1, mk.2, mk 3

3) Add another sub-tab where we could directly apply Paint mod when building ship, not having to go to "redesign" menu. It would be also nice if at NPC Shipyards, we could buy some common paint mods via this sub-tab.
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ ... A6E953F41/

4) We can select default build method to universal or terran, but we cannot easily define or make SY "Terran only" or "non-Terran only" equipment/products.
It would be great if I could define for example, that this SY use only Terran resources and offer only Terran equipment (non-Terran resoures are removed from storage and production chain, all non-terran blueprints are removed).

5) Ability to store and select trained captains/pilots and personel as well as restricting non-player customers from using them (I'd go mad if NPC customer would snatch my 5-star captain for pennies).
Last edited by mr.WHO on Sat, 27. Nov 21, 16:07, edited 2 times in total.

mr.WHO
x4

Re: Woes of late game Player Shipyard GUI - Egosoft please read

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 26. Nov 21, 13:25

6) Highlighting with different color and arrows/cross/pointer the location of currently selected component on Shipyard GUI.

I'ts absolute eye cancer trying to figure out which tiny box of medium turrets has that slightly ligher green tint than others.

PLEASE it really hurt eyes, especially when trying to equip L and XL ships as the camera is farr off the hull.

builder680
x4

Post by builder680 » Sat, 27. Nov 21, 11:08

mr.WHO wrote:
Fri, 26. Nov 21, 13:25
6) Highlighting with different color and arrows/cross/pointer the location of currently selected component on Shipyard GUI.

I'ts absolute eye cancer trying to figure out which tiny box of medium turrets has that slightly ligher green tint than others.

PLEASE it really hurt eyes, especially when trying to equip L and XL ships as the camera is farr off the hull.
Agreed, make the currently selected group blink or something.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 27. Nov 21, 11:29

7) How about adding pop-up window with equipment/weapon/turret stats, when you hover the mouse over equipment icon/picture?

Current system of summary display of ship stats is not so effective.You can only see (but not compare) weapon/turret stats when you leave and go to the encyclopedia (a lot of clicking).

8 ) How about integrating a ship-comparison menu into shipyard screen?

That way, we could quickly compare avaliable loadouds with 3-4 clicks instead of having to go out of SY screen and get into encyclopedia>comparison tool.

It would be great is someone from Egosoft could leave a comment on this list.

Manawydn
x4

Post by Manawydn » Sat, 27. Nov 21, 15:56

Fleet management, blueprints as pertains to ships/equipment, and fleet construction all need to be integrated in to one system.

Mycu
x4

Post by Mycu » Sun, 28. Nov 21, 09:27

These are good ideas.

Tooltip with element base stats when hovering over weapon/turret/equipment would be a great QoL improvement.
It's quite cumbersome having to open encyclopedia for each item and trying to remember and compare base values for multiple items.

Also ability to apply (and buy) paint scheme via ship build menu would be much more useful than it is currently.
The only thing I would add to this is a config option to change the background to a real sector background (where the shipyard or ship is currently located) allowing to see the ship with the chosen paint scheme with some real lighting - because it looks completely different in the editor where the lighting is so flat and completely different in the game (https://imgur.com/Ad0UzIu vs https://imgur.com/zYEC25Y).
X3 AP 3.1 + XRM
X3 AP 3.1 + LU

Return to “X4: Foundations”