X4: Tides of Avarice - Egosoft reveals next chapter of X4 space saga

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mr.WHO
x4

Re: X4: Tides of Avarice - Egosoft reveals next chapter of X4 space saga

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 27. Nov 21, 20:10

antagonist wrote:
Sat, 27. Nov 21, 17:28
The only one that still has even just a passing resemblance with its X3 model is the Cerberus.
How X4 Cerberus is even remotely similar to X3 Cerberus?

At best, I see similarities between X4 Cerberus and X3 Centaur

Alith-Ahnar
Xtreme
Xtreme
x4

Post by Alith-Ahnar » Sat, 27. Nov 21, 20:42

Where does all this Pirat Expansion talk come from?

I watched the recent Interview with Bernd and all the talk was about Criminals and Opportunists.

While I do understand Pirates are in a way opportunists I myself am rather cautious and do not expect this DLC to be a Big Bad Pirate rework to be.
Everything I could see in the Teaser and what I understood Bernd did hint at is a horizontal game mechanic for the opportunist playstyle (salvaging),
and a Story including some new Game starts centered around a Dystopian pocket of the Gate Network.

The Salvaging mechanic in itself is way more interesting as it might force us players to reevaluate the strategic importance of new and more so old
Sectors based on existing Scrap or the potential of generating new.

Just saying we be better off too not focusing on Pirate rather on Opportunist in general when it comes to DLC impact.
X2: You better go play with asteroids!/You losssssee profitsssss!
X4: Chelt are better pilot then you!/Machine behave badly Split switch off.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 27. Nov 21, 21:04

Alith-Ahnar wrote:
Sat, 27. Nov 21, 20:42
Read the first page:
"Encountering and interacting with previously unknown, lawless pirate and scavenger factions"
"Roam through the Windfall and Avarice systems, and discover numerous new ships from the pirate and scavenger factions"
"The Erlking, a terrifying pirate battleship with an experimental and unusual energy source, has been developed over many years by the Riptide Rakers"

1 Pirate faction
1 scavenger faction
possibly 1 corporate faction (aka owner of the Yatch, Northriver Company)

This would follow the pattern of DLC having 2 major factions and 1 minor:
ZYA, FRF/CUB, FAF for Split DLC
TER, PIO, YAK for Terran DLC

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Sat, 27. Nov 21, 21:06

Tamina wrote:
Sat, 27. Nov 21, 17:37
And as we can see, beauty is subjective. I think the remodelling is focused on lifting the quality of the models, not the appearance in particular because you will always find people thinking that way or another.
Absolutely its about model quality not design as design quality is very subjective. Good example right there with them saying they hate the argon fighter lineup, but I absolutely adore the Nova and Eclipse (which i grew to love over time). I mentioned the Minotaur as a personal preference, the model is fine, its just imo a really ugly (and not in a good way) design. Only ships in the argon lineup that I wonder about model quality/distribution of detail and general quality is the discoverer lineup.
Last edited by Axeface on Sat, 27. Nov 21, 21:30, edited 1 time in total.

Alith-Ahnar
Xtreme
Xtreme
x4

Post by Alith-Ahnar » Sat, 27. Nov 21, 21:29

mr.WHO wrote:
Sat, 27. Nov 21, 21:04
Alith-Ahnar wrote:
Sat, 27. Nov 21, 20:42
Read the first page:
"Encountering and interacting with previously unknown, lawless pirate and scavenger factions"
"Roam through the Windfall and Avarice systems, and discover numerous new ships from the pirate and scavenger factions"
"The Erlking, a terrifying pirate battleship with an experimental and unusual energy source, has been developed over many years by the Riptide Rakers"

1 Pirate faction
1 scavenger faction
possibly 1 corporate faction (aka owner of the Yatch, Northriver Company)

This would follow the pattern of DLC having 2 major factions and 1 minor:
ZYA, FRF/CUB, FAF for Split DLC
TER, PIO, YAK for Terran DLC
That's my point meeting a Pirate Faction does not equal Pirate gameplay mechanics and such.

We had the addition of the Yaki in CoH and before that the Fallen Families in SV yet no new piracy mechanics for the Player that's what makes me curious why so many posts about alleged piracy mechanics?

Bastelfred
x4

Post by Bastelfred » Sat, 27. Nov 21, 22:39

Alith-Ahnar wrote:
Sat, 27. Nov 21, 21:29
That's my point meeting a Pirate Faction does not equal Pirate gameplay mechanics and such.
It was so in the application for funding for the DLC.
Bernd said it in the videos when he introduced the DLC (but it was all in German).
It's not just about pirates, this DLC brings two things into the game, and piracy is a part of it.

https://www.bmvi.de/SharedDocs/DE/Artik ... -ahoy.html
"X4: Ahoy (working title)" is the third content expansion for the space simulation / sandbox game "X4: Foundations" first released in 2018. The focus here is on strengthening the gameplay element of piracy by significantly expanding the game universe with content elements such as sectors, spaceships, space stations, characters and new factions. In addition, there will be a new storyline that will deal with the topic of piracy in the X universe and in particular with the new pirate factions.

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Sat, 27. Nov 21, 22:45

Bastelfred wrote:
Sat, 27. Nov 21, 22:39
Bernd said it in the videos when he introduced the DLC (but it was all in German).
It's not just about pirates, this DLC brings two things into the game, and piracy is a part of it.
It says "by significantly expanding the game universe with content elements such as sectors, spaceships, space stations, characters and new factions", I dont think piracy mechanics or gameplay have been mentioned anywhere. Just salvaging, which isnt piracy. Its possible 5.0 will have an expansion of piracy mechanics (and it makes sense to put any features like that into the base game, not the dlc).

Bastelfred
x4

Post by Bastelfred » Sat, 27. Nov 21, 22:59

Axeface wrote:
Sat, 27. Nov 21, 22:45
Bastelfred wrote:
Sat, 27. Nov 21, 22:39
It says "by significantly expanding the game universe with content elements such as sectors, spaceships, space stations, characters and new factions", I dont think piracy mechanics or gameplay have been mentioned anywhere. Just salvaging, which isnt piracy. Its possible 5.0 will have an expansion of piracy mechanics (and it makes sense to put any features like that into the base game, not the dlc).
The focus here is on strengthening the gameplay element of piracy

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Sun, 28. Nov 21, 01:24

mr.WHO wrote:
Sat, 27. Nov 21, 20:10
antagonist wrote:
Sat, 27. Nov 21, 17:28
The only one that still has even just a passing resemblance with its X3 model is the Cerberus.
How X4 Cerberus is even remotely similar to X3 Cerberus?

At best, I see similarities between X4 Cerberus and X3 Centaur
There is no Cerberus in X4. Just a ship that was accidently named the wrong way. (should have been "Griffin")

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]

Blake00
xr

Post by Blake00 » Sun, 28. Nov 21, 08:19

sounds awesome.. even if there's no mention of borons :P
Blake's Sanctum:
- Total Conversion mods: Star Trek Doom 2, & Star Wars Civilization 2
- Game Shrines: Age of Wonders, Babylon 5 Fan Games, Command & Conquer, Elder Scrolls Series, Dune Games, Final Fantasy, Freelancer, Heroes of Might & Magic, Imperium Galactica Series, Master of Magic, Quest for Glory Series, Starflight, & Star Trek Games
- Movie & TV Shrines: Lord Of The Rings & Hobbit, & Star Trek
- Emulation

Teladi CEO

Post by Teladi CEO » Mon, 29. Nov 21, 01:10

Blake00 wrote:
Sun, 28. Nov 21, 08:19
sounds awesome.. even if there's no mention of borons :P
Little did we know that all of the inhabitants of Avarice are secretly Boron! :D
We don’t know what paradise is like, but probably it’s blue magenta, flecked with pink. But even if it’s green and red-checked we should make the most of it. -Boron saying

SirBerrial
x4

Post by SirBerrial » Mon, 29. Nov 21, 08:10

Spoiler
Show
Axeface wrote:
Sat, 27. Nov 21, 13:08
SirBerrial wrote:
Sat, 27. Nov 21, 11:14
Axeface wrote:
Fri, 26. Nov 21, 21:42
And I doubt argon will get a facelift, I dont think its needed.
I feel that while PAR and, to a lesser extent, TEL suffer from sad cap ships, ARG has pretty sad lineup of the smaller ships.
And while caps are alright even as they are right now, they could still use a bit of a facelift just to bring them to the same level of quality as redone PAR and DLC ships.

On another note, are there plans to fill all of the missing encyclopedia entries? I'd love to have some more flavor.
Theres always room for improvement it's just that I think Argon are ok and are probably very low priority, and there are a lot of argon s and m ships that I really like. For example i'de be upset if the Nova or Eclipse got changed, i love those. Really like the Mercury too. Which ones do you think need changing? For me I think the elite should change, and i'm not a fan of the discoverer and its siblings.
Nova and Eclipse are okay, but, in my opinion, still look somewhat WIP, even when compared to other base races. Same goes for Cerberus and Mino variants. Quasar looks like a horrible clipped reflected mishmash of ugliness.
Also, I distinctly remember seeing some weird shimmering on some Argon L freighters (Z-fighting?).

But Courier might be my favorite S ship in the game aesthetically. If there was a decently armed and shielded variant of it, it would be my go-to personal S.

vortice
x4

Post by vortice » Mon, 29. Nov 21, 11:04

Why video of future update has so low quality? :oops:
it's like polygons always stuttering and shaking... can development team do something with that?
FSR from AMD is good, but what about better technology DLSS from nvidia? :?:
New interiors is good, but I better need new functionality from these interiors, like second Pilot seat (or turret controlling terminal to fire, etc...),
It's boring every time I want to fly on my ship I need to send NPC pilot away, and when I stand up he comes again... :evil:
please, extend a comfort of playing aside of growing game world :idea: :idea: :idea:

Alith-Ahnar
Xtreme
Xtreme
x4

Post by Alith-Ahnar » Mon, 29. Nov 21, 12:51

vortice wrote:
Mon, 29. Nov 21, 11:04
DLSS vs. FSR is like comparing Apples to Oranges.
DLSS has one benefit over FSR that it generates a cleaner Image at lower target resolutions compared to FSR.
FSR on the other hand works on almost every single card still in use according to STEAM survey.
DLSS is ahead at target resolutions like 720p and 1080p from 1440p onward FSR produces a comparable Image Quality at less overhead (IIRC).

With this in mind, people ask why no proprietary System that only Works with nVidia RTX GPUs instead of an Open almost universal Tech?
The addition could be to allow the player to run the game comfortably at HIGH resolutions not blazing fast at Potato LOW resolutions.
The addition could be to benefit as many Players as possible and not just a group of very few that do not have problems running the game at high resolutions in the first place.
The Cherry on Top could just be that FSR is easier to implement and troubleshoot than DLSS as it is not a black-box technology.
More so it could be as EGOsoft uses an in-house Engine that the extra Engineering time to implement and maintain two solutions to do the same is not attractive.

Just a few things to think about.

Artean
x4

Post by Artean » Tue, 30. Nov 21, 10:54

Alith-Ahnar wrote:
Mon, 29. Nov 21, 12:51
vortice wrote:
Yes. But one of the main inquiries was a new AA option for X4. FSR will not solve that, while DLSS will for some... TAA though.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - D.N.A

Alith-Ahnar
Xtreme
Xtreme
x4

Post by Alith-Ahnar » Tue, 30. Nov 21, 11:21

Artean wrote:
Tue, 30. Nov 21, 10:54
Alith-Ahnar wrote:
vortice wrote:
Yes. But one of the main inquiries was a new AA option for X4. FSR will not solve that, while DLSS will for some... TAA though.
Ah, now we are getting somewhere.
Still, that's not the purpose of FSR, nor DLSS the latter does not have the effect on it's own but you can use a AA pass on the Image one of the reasons why DLSS depending on implementation can end up with higher overhead.
If the demand for DLSS was intended as a AA substitute would it not be better to mention it and ask for a temporal-based AA solution?

As I mentioned before as soon as you scale past 1080p DLSS loses its edge and the original idea of upscaling is to run higher resolutions at acceptable fps AA is a separate issue and deserves to be mentioned on its own.

P.S. Intel is working on an Upscaling technic that has a feature set that is bang in the middle of the current DLSS and FSR is supposed to be hardware agnostic and an open standard so who knows in a Years time no one is talking about DLSS and FSR anymore.

iniochos
x4

Post by iniochos » Tue, 30. Nov 21, 15:47

Alith-Ahnar wrote:
Tue, 30. Nov 21, 11:21
Artean wrote:
Tue, 30. Nov 21, 10:54
Alith-Ahnar wrote:

Ah, now we are getting somewhere.
Still, that's not the purpose of FSR, nor DLSS the latter does not have the effect on it's own but you can use a AA pass on the Image one of the reasons why DLSS depending on implementation can end up with higher overhead.
If the demand for DLSS was intended as a AA substitute would it not be better to mention it and ask for a temporal-based AA solution?

As I mentioned before as soon as you scale past 1080p DLSS loses its edge and the original idea of upscaling is to run higher resolutions at acceptable fps AA is a separate issue and deserves to be mentioned on its own.

P.S. Intel is working on an Upscaling technic that has a feature set that is bang in the middle of the current DLSS and FSR is supposed to be hardware agnostic and an open standard so who knows in a Years time no one is talking about DLSS and FSR anymore.
Even though I am not familiar (my knowledge is limited) with the subject, I found it very interested. :)

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 30. Nov 21, 15:53

This FSR/DLSS technical discussion is indeed very interesting, but I'm not sure that it should be overshadowing more general discussion of the game's next development phase nor that it really belongs in this Announcement thread. :wink:
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Tempest
x4

Post by Tempest » Wed, 1. Dec 21, 09:43

Woop, gg Egosoft.
The Erlking, a terrifying pirate battleship with an experimental and unusual energy source, has been developed over many years by the Riptide Rakers, at great cost to their resources and lives, in a desperate attempt to take advantage of stellar phenomena in the Avarice system.
sure would be a shame if... more people to extort! jay! :twisted:
AMD 5800X|Gskill 4x8GB 3800C14 (MCLK:1800 for Coupled mode)|Gigabyte X570 Elite F37|TUF3080|Samsung NVME 980 Pro 250|ASUS PG279QE 2560x1440@144

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Thu, 2. Dec 21, 15:38

So I noticed something in the rolling loop playing on steam. Theres a manorina (apparently unfinished because its ID is XXXXXX) but the model is different, looks like a new variant of some sort.

Return to “X4: Foundations”