X4: Tides of Avarice - Egosoft reveals next chapter of X4 space saga

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Axeface
x4

Re: X4: Tides of Avarice - Egosoft reveals next chapter of X4 space saga

Post by Axeface » Fri, 26. Nov 21, 21:42

mr.WHO wrote:
Fri, 26. Nov 21, 21:34
I like that they are using brown paint and hull.

It's a bit homage to X1/X2 paranid design style.
Looking forward what they plan later for ARG and TEL.
Thats just the holy order paint job that their ships already use and its gold.
And I doubt argon will get a facelift, I dont think its needed.

Omni-Orb
x4

Post by Omni-Orb » Fri, 26. Nov 21, 21:47

Severson wrote:
Fri, 26. Nov 21, 20:26
How about online ventures in 5.0?
If ventures started now wouldnt it be filled with asgards? And not knowing how it would work, im guessing xenon would be crushed. Will ships be able to complete their task if there where no xenon in a world?
Credence follow stars.

gorgofdoom
x4

Post by gorgofdoom » Sat, 27. Nov 21, 01:27

alt3rn1ty wrote:
Fri, 26. Nov 21, 11:20

Towing will be thing! - Wonder if this mechanic will only apply to scrap from wrecked ships, or have more uses (like a hidden ship / rescue mission similar to something we have experienced before in X3 involving a huge yacht).
I'd also like to know this. Also... Can we use them on escape pods to pick up prisoners? There were a few short frames of a Paranid silhouette in a brig/prison cell. Though the darkness in that scene makes me think the characters identity is important.

SirBerrial
x4

Post by SirBerrial » Sat, 27. Nov 21, 11:14

Axeface wrote:
Fri, 26. Nov 21, 21:42
I feel that while PAR and, to a lesser extent, TEL suffer from sad cap ships, ARG has pretty sad lineup of the smaller ships.
And while caps are alright even as they are right now, they could still use a bit of a facelift just to bring them to the same level of quality as redone PAR and DLC ships.

On another note, are there plans to fill all of the missing encyclopedia entries? I'd love to have some more flavor.

PainGod85
x4

Re: The next expansion for X4 - Join us for the reveal on Thursday, November 25, 2021

Post by PainGod85 » Sat, 27. Nov 21, 11:56

Bernd wrote:
Thu, 25. Nov 21, 19:27
Ahh but Boso only has the best of intentions ;-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOcvH4b0Opk
"Man fears the darkness, and so he scrapes away at the edges of it with fire."
[ external image ]

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Sat, 27. Nov 21, 13:08

SirBerrial wrote:
Sat, 27. Nov 21, 11:14
Axeface wrote:
I feel that while PAR and, to a lesser extent, TEL suffer from sad cap ships, ARG has pretty sad lineup of the smaller ships.
And while caps are alright even as they are right now, they could still use a bit of a facelift just to bring them to the same level of quality as redone PAR and DLC ships.

On another note, are there plans to fill all of the missing encyclopedia entries? I'd love to have some more flavor.
Theres always room for improvement it's just that I think Argon are ok and are probably very low priority, and there are a lot of argon s and m ships that I really like. For example i'de be upset if the Nova or Eclipse got changed, i love those. Really like the Mercury too. Which ones do you think need changing? For me I think the elite should change, and i'm not a fan of the discoverer and its siblings.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 27. Nov 21, 14:44

Axeface wrote:
Sat, 27. Nov 21, 13:08
SirBerrial wrote:
Sat, 27. Nov 21, 11:14
Axeface wrote:

Theres always room for improvement it's just that I think Argon are ok and are probably very low priority, and there are a lot of argon s and m ships that I really like. For example i'de be upset if the Nova or Eclipse got changed, i love those. Really like the Mercury too. Which ones do you think need changing? For me I think the elite should change, and i'm not a fan of the discoverer and its siblings.
Out of 3 base factions, Argons are on least urgent need for facelift.
I think Nomad need some tuning - at first I thought it was Teladi Condor from X2.

However, they do have holes in their rooster, like Corvette and 3-gun fighters.
Teladi still needs heavy 4-gun fighter and corvette (would be great if Egosoft would incorporate your Kea corvette mod).

As for Teladi ships, the Mushroom is fine, but the part behind the shroom needs some serious re-work - especially turret placement, so that shroom doesn't obscure firing arcs as much.

Riccardoman
x4

Post by Riccardoman » Sat, 27. Nov 21, 15:21

Axeface wrote:
For the Argons I think that the M class needs a complete overhaul and only a detail pass for the behemoth and the colossus, they are decent looking but very spartan when viewed from the cockpit in comparison to split/terran
The teladi are good as they are now, they look utilitarian and unsightly as they should. The bigger ships should get the same amount of details as they had in XR though, in fact I was very surprised when I saw the identical outline of the ships but at the same time in X4 they were much less detailed
Last edited by Riccardoman on Sat, 27. Nov 21, 15:40, edited 1 time in total.

Riccardoman
x4

Post by Riccardoman » Sat, 27. Nov 21, 15:22

Axeface wrote:
For the Argons I think that the M class needs a complete overhaul and only a detail pass for the behemoth and the colossus, they are decent looking but very spartan and "chubby" when viewed from the cockpit in comparison to split/terran
The teladi are good as they are now, they look utilitarian and unsightly as they should. The biggest ships should get the same amount of details as they had in XR though, in fact I was very surprised when I saw the identical outline of the ships but at the same time in X4 they were much less detailed
Axeface wrote:
Sat, 27. Nov 21, 13:08
and i'm not a fan of the discoverer and its siblings.
For me too, they have a good outline but something off with the mesh detail and texture distribution, a little underwhelming for a vanguard class ship. The discoverer is the better of the bunch, and it shows that it was the base design for the others, because the quasar and the pulsar are literally a cut/copy/paste
Last edited by Riccardoman on Sat, 27. Nov 21, 15:33, edited 2 times in total.

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Sat, 27. Nov 21, 15:24

I quite like the Minotaur's looks... what it does need is a stat overhaul so it's not just an entirely worse Peregrine. As for Cerberus, I try not to fly any of the landing pad M ships.
***modified***

Riccardoman
x4

Post by Riccardoman » Sat, 27. Nov 21, 15:37

LameFox wrote:
Sat, 27. Nov 21, 15:24
I quite like the Minotaur's looks... what it does need is a stat overhaul so it's not just an entirely worse Peregrine. As for Cerberus, I try not to fly any of the landing pad M ships.
I'm not a fan of the sports car design they went with the M class. They look fragile and out of place. Now that I think about it the argons have the most inconsistency in their ships lineup
Sorry for the double post

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Sat, 27. Nov 21, 15:58

I had forgotten about the Minotaur, I'de appreciate a full remake of that one.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 27. Nov 21, 16:06

Axeface wrote:
Sat, 27. Nov 21, 15:58
I had forgotten about the Minotaur, I'de appreciate a full remake of that one.
Current Minotaur would fit as Pirate or HAT Minotaur.

The model update would be nice to have hull/plating similar to Cerberus.

Kinda something like Star Wars Y-wing, where pirates and Rebels used the ships without hull platings, while Republic used fully plated ship.

PainGod85
x4

Post by PainGod85 » Sat, 27. Nov 21, 17:28

TBH Argon L and XL combat ships aren't horrible to look at.

However, their fighter lineup to me is both horrifyingly ugly almost across the board and there is little design commonality to be found with it.

Unfortunately, this has been a recurring theme with X games. With X3 all races had their ships fundamentally reimagined, and I confess I love the design style of the Argon ships in that game.
From there, I cannot help but see X4 as a massive step backwards where Argon ship design is concerned. The only one that still has even just a passing resemblance with its X3 model is the Cerberus.

Furthermore, I cannot help but feel that back during the game's initial development, the modeling artists tasked with creating the capital ships gave little thought to turret placement, and we're seeing the result of that with how the Teladi trash heaps are hobbled during in-sector combat.
Well, at least my feelings towards Teladi ship designs haven't changed significantly from X through to X4. I hate them all.
(But did Egosoft really have to go out of their way to make me hate them even more?)
"Man fears the darkness, and so he scrapes away at the edges of it with fire."
[ external image ]

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Sat, 27. Nov 21, 17:37

And as we can see, beauty is subjective. I think the remodelling is focused on lifting the quality of the models, not the appearance in particular because you will always find people thinking that way or another.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 27. Nov 21, 20:10

antagonist wrote:
Sat, 27. Nov 21, 17:28
The only one that still has even just a passing resemblance with its X3 model is the Cerberus.
How X4 Cerberus is even remotely similar to X3 Cerberus?

At best, I see similarities between X4 Cerberus and X3 Centaur

Alith-Ahnar
Xtreme
Xtreme
x4

Post by Alith-Ahnar » Sat, 27. Nov 21, 20:42

Where does all this Pirat Expansion talk come from?

I watched the recent Interview with Bernd and all the talk was about Criminals and Opportunists.

While I do understand Pirates are in a way opportunists I myself am rather cautious and do not expect this DLC to be a Big Bad Pirate rework to be.
Everything I could see in the Teaser and what I understood Bernd did hint at is a horizontal game mechanic for the opportunist playstyle (salvaging),
and a Story including some new Game starts centered around a Dystopian pocket of the Gate Network.

The Salvaging mechanic in itself is way more interesting as it might force us players to reevaluate the strategic importance of new and more so old
Sectors based on existing Scrap or the potential of generating new.

Just saying we be better off too not focusing on Pirate rather on Opportunist in general when it comes to DLC impact.
X2: You better go play with asteroids!/You losssssee profitsssss!
X4: Chelt are better pilot then you!/Machine behave badly Split switch off.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 27. Nov 21, 21:04

Alith-Ahnar wrote:
Sat, 27. Nov 21, 20:42
Read the first page:
"Encountering and interacting with previously unknown, lawless pirate and scavenger factions"
"Roam through the Windfall and Avarice systems, and discover numerous new ships from the pirate and scavenger factions"
"The Erlking, a terrifying pirate battleship with an experimental and unusual energy source, has been developed over many years by the Riptide Rakers"

1 Pirate faction
1 scavenger faction
possibly 1 corporate faction (aka owner of the Yatch, Northriver Company)

This would follow the pattern of DLC having 2 major factions and 1 minor:
ZYA, FRF/CUB, FAF for Split DLC
TER, PIO, YAK for Terran DLC

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Sat, 27. Nov 21, 21:06

Tamina wrote:
Sat, 27. Nov 21, 17:37
And as we can see, beauty is subjective. I think the remodelling is focused on lifting the quality of the models, not the appearance in particular because you will always find people thinking that way or another.
Absolutely its about model quality not design as design quality is very subjective. Good example right there with them saying they hate the argon fighter lineup, but I absolutely adore the Nova and Eclipse (which i grew to love over time). I mentioned the Minotaur as a personal preference, the model is fine, its just imo a really ugly (and not in a good way) design. Only ships in the argon lineup that I wonder about model quality/distribution of detail and general quality is the discoverer lineup.
Last edited by Axeface on Sat, 27. Nov 21, 21:30, edited 1 time in total.

Alith-Ahnar
Xtreme
Xtreme
x4

Post by Alith-Ahnar » Sat, 27. Nov 21, 21:29

mr.WHO wrote:
Sat, 27. Nov 21, 21:04
Alith-Ahnar wrote:
Sat, 27. Nov 21, 20:42
Read the first page:
"Encountering and interacting with previously unknown, lawless pirate and scavenger factions"
"Roam through the Windfall and Avarice systems, and discover numerous new ships from the pirate and scavenger factions"
"The Erlking, a terrifying pirate battleship with an experimental and unusual energy source, has been developed over many years by the Riptide Rakers"

1 Pirate faction
1 scavenger faction
possibly 1 corporate faction (aka owner of the Yatch, Northriver Company)

This would follow the pattern of DLC having 2 major factions and 1 minor:
ZYA, FRF/CUB, FAF for Split DLC
TER, PIO, YAK for Terran DLC
That's my point meeting a Pirate Faction does not equal Pirate gameplay mechanics and such.

We had the addition of the Yaki in CoH and before that the Fallen Families in SV yet no new piracy mechanics for the Player that's what makes me curious why so many posts about alleged piracy mechanics?
X2: You better go play with asteroids!/You losssssee profitsssss!
X4: Chelt are better pilot then you!/Machine behave badly Split switch off.

Return to “X4: Foundations”