Modifying ships at WAF/Shipyard when does it affect newly built ships

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Jaskan

Modifying ships at WAF/Shipyard when does it affect newly built ships

Post by Jaskan » Tue, 23. Nov 21, 14:02

What i have noticed about moding ships at shipyards is that after i do this for several ships of given kind, after some time newly built ships of same kind have same mods.

Can someone please explain whats the rule here, when does moding a single ship at shipyard take effect for newly built ships.

I find it tedious to have to take all ships to shipyard to mod one by one, so can someone explain a shortcut cut to this if there is one.

So that i can mod all ships of given kind with least effort

In general X4 really needs to have commands that apply to multiple ships , like re stock at waf/shipyard without having to do it one by one

cheers

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Modifying ships at WAF/Shipyard when does it affect newly built ships

Post by Imperial Good » Tue, 23. Nov 21, 16:55

As far as I am ware this does not happen. Mods must be explicitly installed on each ship you want them on, using the tool bench.

I think NPC ships can have mods automatically applied to them based on the job loadout that ship belongs to.

Jaskan

Post by Jaskan » Tue, 23. Nov 21, 17:38

Imperial Good wrote:
Tue, 23. Nov 21, 16:55
As far as I am ware this does not happen. Mods must be explicitly installed on each ship you want them on, using the tool bench.

I think NPC ships can have mods automatically applied to them based on the job loadout that ship belongs to.
Thanks for the info.

The average player in this game has hundreds of ships, if the mods are really to be of any use, there needs to be a way to do it for multiple ships at once, else its impossibly tedious otherwise.

However last time i checked several months ago, once you dont it couple of times for same ship, new ones get it, but i have no idea how many you have to do to get the effect.

If this is a bug, its a bug that could be improved upon.

In current game only reason am not using mods is cause cannot fathom the idea of having to each ship one by one, its pointless.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Tue, 23. Nov 21, 18:29

Jaskan wrote:
Tue, 23. Nov 21, 17:38
In current game only reason am not using mods is cause cannot fathom the idea of having to each ship one by one, its pointless.
I just saw in: https://www.ansiblejunky.com/blog/ansib ... standards/
Guideline: Do something today that gets you closer to your long term goal

There are two common mistakes people make when automating:
Attempt to do everything at once. Always focus on creating smaller and manageable pieces of work that produce perhaps a portion of the total functionality or feature you want to implement. This allows something to still be delivered to the end user but without the long time commitment. The smaller the delivery, the easier it is to manage it, reduce errors, and produce constant stability and trust in the pipeline and end product.
Expect that it needs to be perfect. Everyone gets caught saying “We don’t have time to do that right now” but really they mean “We don’t have time to do [all of] that right now”. Often you have time to do something small right now that gets you a little closer to “all of that”.
While that does not completely apply here, doing nothing if you can't do everything still feels wrong.

Having said that, I don't mod (yet), because Borons do not talk unless spoken to, which I don't do. If I have a fleet, it dies fine without mods. Could some be fun on personal ship? Probably.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 23. Nov 21, 18:53

I think the idea of the mods was to enhance playerships, not all owned ships. I only apply mods to ships I plan on personally flying. After all, AI-controlled ships are all too likely to get destroyed, and along with them all the hard earned wares used to create those mods. It's simply not worth it, IMO.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Jaskan

Post by Jaskan » Wed, 24. Nov 21, 01:56

Nanook wrote:
Tue, 23. Nov 21, 18:53
I think the idea of the mods was to enhance playerships, not all owned ships. I only apply mods to ships I plan on personally flying. After all, AI-controlled ships are all too likely to get destroyed, and along with them all the hard earned wares used to create those mods. It's simply not worth it, IMO.
I was starting to think the same, still i dont mind the mods for my fleets, as those mods do make significant impact on ships applied.
My suggestion to egosoft is to make it applicable to fleets at once, rather than one by one.

I find the mods useful cause i try to keep my units and buildings to minimum to save fps, and you need fewer ships if they are moded.
one of the most useful skills in this simulation environment is policies that result is less fps drain, for same reason i only really sell large and extra large ships to AI, except under special circumstances.

Jaskan

Post by Jaskan » Wed, 24. Nov 21, 01:57

jlehtone wrote:
Tue, 23. Nov 21, 18:29
Jaskan wrote:
Tue, 23. Nov 21, 17:38
I just saw in: https://www.ansiblejunky.com/blog/ansib ... standards/
Guideline: Do something today that gets you closer to your long term goal

There are two common mistakes people make when automating:
Attempt to do everything at once. Always focus on creating smaller and manageable pieces of work that produce perhaps a portion of the total functionality or feature you want to implement. This allows something to still be delivered to the end user but without the long time commitment. The smaller the delivery, the easier it is to manage it, reduce errors, and produce constant stability and trust in the pipeline and end product.
Expect that it needs to be perfect. Everyone gets caught saying “We don’t have time to do that right now” but really they mean “We don’t have time to do [all of] that right now”. Often you have time to do something small right now that gets you a little closer to “all of that”.
While that does not completely apply here, doing nothing if you can't do everything still feels wrong.

Having said that, I don't mod (yet), because Borons do not talk unless spoken to, which I don't do. If I have a fleet, it dies fine without mods. Could some be fun on personal ship? Probably.
thanks am gona save this for use in my development

Return to “X4: Foundations”