From a purely aesthetic viewpoint, which destroyer do you like the most?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Behemoth
11%
Odysseus
3%
Osaka
18%
Phoenix
4%
Rattlesnake
22%
Syn
41%

Total votes: 99

Pares
x4

Post by Pares » Thu, 28. Oct 21, 14:10

Forget everything you know about them. Race, lore, stats, number of turrets/weapons/shields, engines etc., but assume they are fully equipped for the looks. You see them for the first time parked next to each other. Which one would you take based only on how they look?

LameFox
x4

Re: From a purely aesthetic viewpoint, which destroyer do you like the most?

Post by LameFox » Thu, 28. Oct 21, 14:23

I would say I am equally fond of the behemoth, osaka, and syn. Rattlesnake isn't bad but something about its proportions feels a bit weird to me. I often still fly it because I can borrow them off FAF and it doesn't look awful, but I prefer the looks of the other split capitals over that one.

I don't fly the other two except to strip and sell SCA phoenixes.
***modified***

Whatever0815
x4

Post by Whatever0815 » Thu, 28. Oct 21, 14:33

This would be much, much easier for me, if your question would be: "From a purely aesthetic viewpoint, which destroyer do you like the least?", but we probably all know the most likely outcome of that one.

I just can't decide on a single favourite (also, I've yet to see a Syn).

Flippi
x3tc

Post by Flippi » Thu, 28. Oct 21, 14:37

Personally, I'd go with Syn, Behemoth and Osaka. In this order. Although depending on the mood, the Osaka and Behemoth might change their places.

The Syn overall still has the ATF feeling to it, which makes it a winner in my book. The other destroyers like the Odysseus, Phoenix or Rattlesnake don't come close enough in terms of design in my opinion. The Rattlesnake is an X3 Cobra, the Phoenix a flying mushroom from the more 'artistic' Ianamus Zura Teladi, and the Odysseus is a big X3 Hercules with that Star Trek ToS style handphaser feeling to it.
KI Schiffsnamen/AI Shipnames
ETNO Mod Techdemo/Ressources Release: English / Deutsch

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Thu, 28. Oct 21, 15:28

I did click on the Rattlesnake but a very close second is the Odysseus IMHO. Of course people with little or no naval knowledge know nothing about the long keels of sailships. I suppose if someone showed then the full shape of the "Cutty Shark" or other famous sailships they would ask: "Is this the new Sanyo hairdryer?"

humility925
x4

Post by humility925 » Thu, 28. Oct 21, 15:31

syn and Asgard is very beautiful, great for good faction while rattlesnake and raptor look awesome as well.

But I would vote Syn and Asgard (I know it's not destroyer, it's battleship same class as carrier, but still, I loved this look most!) as it's more look belong to human's styles look. Rattlesnake and raptor is too dark for human to use.

Osaka are perfect and it's advanced looking, very beautiful ship, but while human could use it, it's something like Asgard (not battleship, a race, faction) from "stargate" Movies/shows could use that.

Behemoth is meh, it's ok, it's just don't feel belong to human, since Argon from terran earth long ago and still are human just like terran, it's need new art styles that feel like human ship. I feel Behemoth's art styles belong to teleil or lizard type.

other two ship need rework look, Odysseus look like hammer, Phoenix look like mushroom or something. (I like older telei model in X3, that is look better than that mushroom.)
Had a compassionate when you able... :)

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Fri, 29. Oct 21, 10:25

That's a tough one, the Behemoth and Phoenix are my two favorites to look at. I think I give the edge slightly to the Behemoth, so I voted for that one. The Phoenix is a very very close second though.

Behemoth
Phoenix
Rattlesnake
Syn
Osaka
Odysseus

Ragnos28
x4

Post by Ragnos28 » Fri, 29. Oct 21, 11:00

My vote has gone to the Syn because is the heir of my favorite destroyer in X3: TC ...the Tyr :mrgreen:
ATF is gone but not forgoten, gosh damit :D

surferx
x4

Post by surferx » Fri, 29. Oct 21, 15:39

Syn, Osaka and Rattlesnake seem more like Star Wars destroyers.
Odysseus is more in a Star Trek theme.
Phoenix? The only similarity is probably 2001 A Space Odyssey, but that's a stretch.
Behemoth? I can't really place, maybe a cross between Star Wars and Battlestar Galactica.
I voted for Syn.
If you want to go fast, go alone.
If you want to go far, go together.

Operating System:
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit CPU: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KF RAM: 32606 MBytes MBO: Gigabyte Z790 UD AC (U3E1) GPU: ZOTAC GEFORCE RTX 4080 Trinity OC NVIDIA 16 GB GDDR6 SSD: AJP600M2TB 1907 GB

Panos
x4

Post by Panos » Fri, 29. Oct 21, 16:46

Ody 0 votes. I am not surprised. :lol:

capitalduty

Post by capitalduty » Fri, 29. Oct 21, 19:25

Syn + Rattlesnake!!

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Fri, 29. Oct 21, 19:36

I went for Rattlesnake, but I think I have yet to see a Syn in game.

I'm not that far from being able to buy the blueprint, but I haven't played much recently.
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

SirBerrial
x4

Post by SirBerrial » Fri, 29. Oct 21, 20:10

Syn, by by far. I'd love to see more ships in the style of Syn and Asgard, so I could have an ATF fleet.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 29. Oct 21, 21:59

From top favorite:

Osaka (my vote) - great design upgrade from X3, not the same, but you feel the inspiration from X3, best design visually speaking. Weapon placement and configuration make is only below Rattlesnake in functionality.
Rattlesnake - most utilitarian and functional design, for me the best design from military point of view.
Syn - just like Osaka, it show inspiratino from X3 Tyr, but not as distinctly new like Osaka, nor functional like Rattlesnake.
Odysseus - the only interesting/functional design from vanilla.
Behemoth - kinda meh.
Phoenix - trash.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Sat, 30. Oct 21, 09:06

mr.WHO wrote:
Fri, 29. Oct 21, 21:59
the only interesting/functional design from vanilla.
I think you got a bad batch of spacefuel...

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Sat, 30. Oct 21, 11:46

Phoenix for me. Unlike the rest of the destroyers it's got radial symmetry, which to my eyes at least makes it look like a proper spaceship.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 30. Oct 21, 17:29

grapedog wrote:
Sat, 30. Oct 21, 09:06
mr.WHO wrote:
Fri, 29. Oct 21, 21:59
the only interesting/functional design from vanilla.
I think you got a bad batch of spacefuel...
It got M-size dock, several large turrets with good placement and forward focus - both Behemoth and Phoenix has nothing that make them better than Odysseus.

I don't really care that they used X3 TL model as a baseline for X4 Odysseus.

Karmaticdamage
x4

Post by Karmaticdamage » Sat, 30. Oct 21, 18:49

Split scientist looks at a m7m cobra and asked himself, what if we put guns on it instead? And thus the rattlesnake was born. The terrans decided that a smaller kyoto was going to be their next destroyer. The behemoth looks like an upsized ogre drone from eve online, and the teledi fell in love with amarr designs as every one of their capital ships has an avatar mushroom sprout. My vote went to the rattlesnake, but I would have voted for the executor looking raptor if it were available, followed by the asgard with its eclipse super laser.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 30. Oct 21, 21:42

Karmaticdamage wrote:
Sat, 30. Oct 21, 18:49
Split scientist looks at a m7m cobra and asked himself, what if we put guns on it instead? And thus the rattlesnake was born. The terrans decided that a smaller kyoto was going to be their next destroyer. The behemoth looks like an upsized ogre drone from eve online, and the teledi fell in love with amarr designs as every one of their capital ships has an avatar mushroom sprout. My vote went to the rattlesnake, but I would have voted for the executor looking raptor if it were available, followed by the asgard with its eclipse super laser.
Outside of the destroyers, Raptor is definetly most impresive with the internal hangar.
Tokyo is also nice despite smaller hangar, but bridge placement make fighter operations more cinematic as you have good view of the hangar entry.

Too bad they never finished the Python Battleship :(

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Mon, 1. Nov 21, 00:32

I think its really interesting that the Syn is so popular instead of the Osaka. Is everyone sure that they are judging these ships by aesthetics only and performance isnt distorting your view? The syn is a very good destroyer in the player hands and its atf influences are obvious, but I dont think it retains the 'feel' of x3 ATF and im not sure how I feel about that raised 'nose'. X3 ATF is far more blocky, the Syn is trying to be sleek while retaining blockiness. For me the Osaka is so much better visually. If I was a terran fan (Which im not) ide definitely prefer the Osaka for aesthetics (Which I love, but I hate terrans).

My vote was the Behemoth. I think that ship and design is solid. Its not that I adore the design or anything, but I think its 100% finished and tangible, I love it not because its beautiful but because it 'feels' right. The Osaka is a great model too. The Rattlesnake im not a fan of, its overall shape is a bit boring for me, but I do understand why people love it, theres a lot of great fine detail. The ody and phoenix are designs I think are unfinished, I use the phoenix the most in-game though (Phoenix/all-teladi-capital-ships overall idea is great, just need more time dedicated to the models to make them awesome imo).

Return to “X4: Foundations”