Random 4* Captains Appearing

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Eyeklops
x4

Random 4* Captains Appearing

Post by Eyeklops » Mon, 25. Oct 21, 22:46

Usually when I buy a bunch of ships from the NPC Warf I go through them looking for high quality captains. Best I normally see right off the production line is 1-2/3* in piloting. I'm not sure what triggers it but on occasion I'll review the pilots again a short time later and find out one has mysteriously jump to 4+* in piloting. Anybody else experienced this? I've seen this more than once in the last few weeks but never more than once in the same savegame branch. I cannot be certain but it may be related to giving a low level seminar.

I'd say in the last 80 ships I've bought it's happened twice (once for each new savegame). I swear they were not there on initial purchase. These pilots did nothing but sit docked in the wharf so it wasn't skill based gain. Odd.

Malchar
x4

Re: Random 4* Captains Appearing

Post by Malchar » Tue, 26. Oct 21, 08:22

It can occurs if you use mods which add sectors hosting shipyards. An exemple could be added sectors, in the ROR mod, which still use former x4 rules for new captains.

May be there is other possibilities I m not aware.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 26. Oct 21, 10:01

It probably is not this, but just in case.

When you hire an NPC you obviously see their full detailed stats. When you are reviewing a list of employees however, you initially see the skill stars summary for the employment category you currently have selected - that might be 'as employed' or it might be 'as captain', etc. You have to do a further selection to see the full detailed stars for individuals. Could that be affecting what you are seeing at all, or were you already checking all that?
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Eyeklops
x4

Post by Eyeklops » Tue, 26. Oct 21, 10:16

Alan Phipps wrote:
Tue, 26. Oct 21, 10:01
It probably is not this, but just in case.

When you hire an NPC you obviously see their full detailed stats. When you are reviewing a list of employees however, you initially see the skill stars summary for the employment category you currently have selected - that might be 'as employed' or it might be 'as captain', etc. You have to do a further selection to see the full detailed stars for individuals. Could that be affecting what you are seeing at all, or were you already checking all that?
I understand what you mean but this was the "free" captain that you get on a purchased ship. I bought about 6 Takobas at the PIO wharf and always check the stats on the free pilots. Nothing out of the ordinary. Did some other game things then fed a few of the new pilots low level seminars. Did some more game stuff and when I finally got around to delegating tasks to the Takobas I noticed one had 4-2/3* in piloting. This is at least the second time it's happened in 2 weeks.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 26. Oct 21, 10:21

Did you have any 3 and 4 star piloting seminars in your inventory, and have they reduced at all?

I ask because you don't get any direct feedback of level when you offer and apply seminars, hence it is easy to keep giving some pilots more skill levels than you intended to and to unintentionally deplete your higher level seminar holdings. (Been there, done that. :D )
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Eyeklops
x4

Post by Eyeklops » Tue, 26. Oct 21, 18:12

Alan Phipps wrote:
Tue, 26. Oct 21, 10:21
Did you have any 3 and 4 star piloting seminars in your inventory, and have they reduced at all?

I ask because you don't get any direct feedback of level when you offer and apply seminars, hence it is easy to keep giving some pilots more skill levels than you intended to and to unintentionally deplete your higher level seminar holdings. (Been there, done that. :D )
This happened at the very beginning of a new budget gamestart, I would guess about 15 minutes in. If I obtained a 3* seminar I'm not sure how. 100% certain I didn't do any missions and didn't have my loot fleet setup yet so it's really unlikely.

I wonder if one of the low level seminars bugged out and got applied twice.

Do game saves keep any history on player NPC pilots? I would guess not as that might balloon the save file.

Return to “X4: Foundations”