Steam: Patching X4 daily

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Cookieknabberer
x4

Steam: Patching X4 daily

Post by Cookieknabberer » Wed, 20. Oct 21, 10:05

Hello,

I recognized since a couple of days that my X4 installation on Steam receives a patch on a daily basis.
There are no new patch notes since the Linux patch, so is that something wrong in Steam or what is getting patched there?

regards
Cookieknabberer

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: Steam: Patching X4 daily

Post by CBJ » Wed, 20. Oct 21, 10:12

The "updates" are coming from Steam itself, not from us. They are apparently compiled "swarm" shader cache files, which we have no control over. We have asked them to look into not listing these files as updates to the game, because it's misleading.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 20. Oct 21, 10:18

Glad it's investigated - it's kinda irritating to see "update" every day or two.

Cookieknabberer
x4

Post by Cookieknabberer » Wed, 20. Oct 21, 10:53

So the Khaak are returning as Steam-Swarm :-)

Thanks for the quick answers and the clarification!

Panos
x4

Post by Panos » Thu, 21. Oct 21, 22:11

Cookieknabberer wrote:
Wed, 20. Oct 21, 10:05
Hello,

I recognized since a couple of days that my X4 installation on Steam receives a patch on a daily basis.
There are no new patch notes since the Linux patch, so is that something wrong in Steam or what is getting patched there?

regards
Cookieknabberer
Open Steam.
Go to Settings down the bottom of the list is Shader Pre-Caching, untick the Enable options.

CBJ wrote:
Wed, 20. Oct 21, 10:12
The "updates" are coming from Steam itself, not from us. They are apparently compiled "swarm" shader cache files, which we have no control over. We have asked them to look into not listing these files as updates to the game, because it's misleading.
One of the things states on the Pre caching option is Steam downloads shader cache based on my computer capabilities. Is this the reason why I get worse image quality (AMD) even with all settings maxed out compared to some Nvidia GPUs? That is something discusses several times over the past year in the forums.

Return to “X4: Foundations”