station building and rotation

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Halpog
x4

station building and rotation

Post by Halpog » Fri, 15. Oct 21, 08:37

jesus .... rotation nice and fine yeah .. but how ... holy hell this is absolutly a nogo
we need buttons we can press to use the rotation direction we want ....

like this now the lucky choice of wich rotation we get is awefull and absolutly a nogo.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: station building and rotation

Post by Imperial Good » Fri, 15. Oct 21, 08:41

The rotation angle is based on the camera angle of attack. For example if it is top down it will always rotate on the XZ plane.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Fri, 15. Oct 21, 08:48

Imperial Good wrote:
Fri, 15. Oct 21, 08:41
The rotation angle is based on the camera angle of attack. For example if it is top down it will always rotate on the XZ plane.
I worked this out, after a long absence from X4, while lubricating my vocal chords with the worlds largest ever gathering of expletives.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

SirConnery

Post by SirConnery » Fri, 15. Oct 21, 13:14

Imperial Good wrote:
Fri, 15. Oct 21, 08:41
If only that was true this nightmare system would be so much better.

In actuality some parts actually rotate on different axises than others depending on the angle. One might rotate the yaw while top down while another part will rotate the pitch.

Have fun building.

INSANEcyborg
x4

Post by INSANEcyborg » Fri, 15. Oct 21, 15:13

I've noticed that if parts are attached to something, they'll rotate using the connection instead of the camera.

Halpog
x4

Post by Halpog » Fri, 15. Oct 21, 20:21

oO and i say it again.. we need buttons for the rotation ....button we press to aktivate rotation.. different buttons different roations ....

if the camera angle and pov would be correct i would not have said something at all...
but since parts rotate at the same camera view in different rotations ...well ....
we need buttons to press to define the rotation we wanna use ....^^

Eyeklops
x4

Post by Eyeklops » Fri, 15. Oct 21, 21:44

Halpog wrote:
Fri, 15. Oct 21, 20:21
oO and i say it again.. we need buttons for the rotation ....button we press to aktivate rotation.. different buttons different roations ....

if the camera angle and pov would be correct i would not have said something at all...
but since parts rotate at the same camera view in different rotations ...well ....
we need buttons to press to define the rotation we wanna use ....^^
Buttons could be useful but I'd be happy with this: When I select a part highlight the current axis of rotation so I can move the camera in a way that selects the axis I want. This would eliminate a ton of confusion.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Sat, 16. Oct 21, 00:34

I find the current system for station building and rotating modules intuitive and simple to understand and use. I don't know what you people are complaining about.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Sat, 16. Oct 21, 01:12

My main complaint is that sometimes one module will stick attached at a hard point to another module despite having been physically detached, hard points no longer connecting. Mostly seen when using ctrl to force move modules around, such as when trying to roughly position module sequences to re-attach them for a better construction sequence.

Y-llian
x4

Post by Y-llian » Sat, 16. Oct 21, 11:56

From what we’ve had before this is a huge improvement. But I do wish we could rotate modules in any direction inside the plot, instead of having to rotate the plot itself. My main issue with the current rotation system is that it forces design on two planes, instead of solidly using three - getting a solid sense of depth is quite cumbersome and overly fiddly.

SirConnery

Post by SirConnery » Sat, 16. Oct 21, 13:38

Falcrack wrote:
Sat, 16. Oct 21, 00:34
I find the current system for station building and rotating modules intuitive and simple to understand and use. I don't know what you people are complaining about.
I mean, there were people who found Windows 8 to be a perfectly good operating system so go figure.

joe2020

Post by joe2020 » Sun, 17. Oct 21, 16:02

First place the module you want to add in an empty space, make sure module is highlighted in green not red. You cannot place module in all areas, for example if module is too far away or if it intersects a docking lane.
Then left click on the module and hold the button down, module will rotate as you move your mouse. If you want to rotate in 45 degree increments hold shift key down as you move your mouse.
Watch lines pointing to attachment points on other modules as you rotate the free-floating module, that will tell you where you can add the module.
Once attachment line points to the place where you want the module to be stop rotating and drag the module with the right mouse button.
If you make a mistake just left click on the attached module and select remove module. Then you can start again.

Eyeklops
x4

Post by Eyeklops » Mon, 18. Oct 21, 15:12

joe2020 wrote:
Sun, 17. Oct 21, 16:02
First place the module you want to add in an empty space, make sure module is highlighted in green not red.
FYI you can now rotate modules when they are highlighted red. Was a nice change from 4.00 as getting a 3-pier E-dock "green" in the plot just to rotate it was sometimes difficult. Red modules will not be automatically removed unless another module is interacted with.

Also new for 4.10: This update substancially increased the tolerance for when a module is considered "aligned" well enough to snap into place.

Return to “X4: Foundations”