Request: Add Passive option to Fire Authorization Please

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Diroc
x4

Request: Add Passive option to Fire Authorization Please

Post by Diroc » Tue, 12. Oct 21, 02:28

I'm currently experiencing a problem with the Yaki (28/30). I've been building ships for them for awhile now.
Their ships are rather agressive to other visitors to my sector.
On several occasions, they will attack other ships triggering a distress beacon, or, alternatively, the other ship is a small ship.
The small ship or beacon will either get stuck in my station or fly near my station.
Yaki will hit the station triggering a self defense counterattack.
The counterattack will result in an agressive assault by the Yaki fleet the original offender was part of.
The Yaki Fleet destruction results in loss of faction standing.
A Passive option (Don't shoot back EVER) below Defensive in Fire authorization would allow ships/stations to not fire back for the original drunken transgression.

For those of you wondering about this somewhat obscure new addition, fire authorization is a wonderful hidden gem added recently to X4 (For those of you who don't know about it, It's awesome)

Fire Authorization allows you to change default agressive behavior for ships and stations either individually, or across the board .
Why would you want to do this? Here are some useful examples.

Setting SCA to Chivalrous on stations you own in systems you own containing a large fast police presence.
Fast police fighters like Katana and Dragon Raider are good for scanning large numbers of vessels and stripping the masked signatures of pirate SCA ships.
They aren't particularly good at fighting capital ships. (I left small ships like Mamba and Takoba out as Kha'ak can easily overwhelm them wasting a valuable 2 star pilot.)

Having stations and their defense fleets indirectly, by inheritance (Use Manager settings), auto target SCA Military (Plunderer and Pillager) ships can almost eliminate hacks to your stations while leaving SCA traders alone.
You can concentrate your defense forces and/or leverage solid station defense platforms against would be hackers.
Pirates with masked signatures will not be targeted.

Setting Xenon to Honorable
Xenon S resource ships are ignored.
If you set up blockades of Xenon sectors to keep their ships from terrorizing the galaxy, this allows them to build defense stations in adjacent territories.
(I may be wrong but, I believe Shipyard and Wharf are only built in Xenon owned sectors)
Military ships of other races will actively target these stations and lose ships. You will too IF you have patrols or a police presence in the sector.
The drain on other races stimulates the economy and drives prices up. The stations are much more effective at removing military ships from the galaxy and less of a threat than Xenon fighters and destroyers chasing down your traders.

Setting Friendly races to Defensive
If you decide you want to engage in piracy against friendly ships in your sectors, this will keep the your local police forces and your patrols in the neighborhood from jumping in and causing chaos.

I'm interested in hearing any other great uses for Fire authorization.

Falcrack
x4

Re: Request: Add Passive option to Fire Authorization Please

Post by Falcrack » Tue, 12. Oct 21, 02:56

Unintentional friendly fire between AI factions causes so many problems in this game, if baffles me why Egosoft is insistent to keep it in. In my opinion, any fire that originates from one AI controlled ship or turret and that unintentionally hits another ship or station should NEVER result in a rep loss of any kind between the two ships and factions. To heck with any exploits a clever player might use in this single player game, the problems with rep loss from unintentional fire cause far more aggravation than enjoyment in this game.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Tue, 12. Oct 21, 04:28

Falcrack wrote:
Tue, 12. Oct 21, 02:56
if baffles me why Egosoft is insistent to keep it in
One of the reasons given was to prevent exploits. Otherwise the player could stage friendly fire to kill stuff and steel the loot.

I think a proper apology system would be good enough to solve the rough edges. Some squabble breaks out due to too many station hits and a com with a couple thousand, or million (depending on damages) credits and it is solved without significant rep loss.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Tue, 12. Oct 21, 04:33

Imperial Good wrote:
Tue, 12. Oct 21, 04:28
Falcrack wrote:
One of the reasons given was to prevent exploits. Otherwise the player could stage friendly fire to kill stuff and steel the loot.

I think a proper apology system would be good enough to solve the rough edges. Some squabble breaks out due to too many station hits and a com with a couple thousand, or million (depending on damages) credits and it is solved without significant rep loss.
If a player is persistent/skilled enough to position a hostile target directly behind a friendly mobile target they want their turrets to shoot at so they don't get the rep hit, I don't particularly care. I am not going to use such an exploit, and I do not care if others do. There is also game logic which tries to avoid shooting at enemies when the shot would hit a friendly ship, making such exploits extra hard.

I DO care that I cannot properly participate in large NPC fleet battles with my own fleet without fear of wrecking my reputation with the friendly faction my NPC ships accidentally fire upon.

Diroc
x4

Post by Diroc » Wed, 13. Oct 21, 03:00

Falcrack wrote:
Tue, 12. Oct 21, 04:33
Imperial Good wrote:
Tue, 12. Oct 21, 04:28
Falcrack wrote:

If a player is persistent/skilled enough to position a hostile target directly behind a friendly mobile target they want their turrets to shoot at so they don't get the rep hit, I don't particularly care. I am not going to use such an exploit, and I do not care if others do. There is also game logic which tries to avoid shooting at enemies when the shot would hit a friendly ship, making such exploits extra hard.

I DO care that I cannot properly participate in large NPC fleet battles with my own fleet without fear of wrecking my reputation with the friendly faction my NPC ships accidentally fire upon.
Perhaps removing both the faction hit (Aggression modifier as well) and the damage from misplaced shots among NPC's and faction property would be the best of both worlds.
They would not neither exploitable nor faction/aggression liabilities.

Add a data field with intended target's faction to the projectile. If it doesn't match it's collision target's faction, It doesn't get processed. Swarms of enemy ships would still be liabilities to their faction buddies as missed shots that hit their friends and explosions would still resolve to swarm participants in range. but be faction specific.

Better yet.. If the target(s) hit is(are) a friend of the source object, don't process the shot for that target. You don't need a data field for that and AoE's would be able to hit multiple enemy factions. Xenon source explosions would hit all enemy factions in the blast theoretically.

Player shots being exempt -obviously. Player as a universal recipient could go either way. I'm leaning towards universal recipient with use of the in game apology system for the player getting in the way as it is now. (Play in the fire you get burned)

Am I missing any cryptic exploit potential?
This would in theory solve the fleet battle problem.

Return to “X4: Foundations”