0 Hull Teladi Trade Station not being destroyed - Fix in a future build.

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Diroc
x4

0 Hull Teladi Trade Station not being destroyed - Fix in a future build.

Post by Diroc » Mon, 11. Oct 21, 16:03

I currently am watching a station that was at 0/0 hull currently being attacked by 6 K and an I (Plus numerous fighters)
The hull is at 0 but it doesn't seem to be blowing up.
Station is a Teladi Trading station in Hewa's Twin 1
When you click on the modules that were not inactive to find where they are physically, Some modules didn't seem to have a corresponding location (Highlight) that shows up. ( -%) also in the list.
I believe one was a maintenance area.

I'm wondering if they're not shootable (Potentially having no physical presence) and hence making the station immortal.

A rebuild was triggered and at one point, Hull was 0/0
A builder showed up and started building.
The station is currently at 0/600k and Inactive modules are once again being generated from scratch as the timer had previously expired bringing the modules back to the semi-transparent construction phase.

The station started out at 81Million Hull (Stock) originally.

My questions are:
Why does the station not explode at 0 Hull? This would make sense.
Why are there modules the AI can't seem to target to inactivate?
Are these stations destroyable?
What's the story with the timers going up and down on the modules being built.

Thanks in advance.

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: 0 Hull Teladi Trade Station not being destroyed.

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Mon, 11. Oct 21, 17:48

Hi. There are upcoming improvements related to station destruction. That said, the Teladi Trade Station is a bit of a special case, so do you mind passing us a savegame so we can check what's going on. Cheers.
Come watch me on Twitch where I occasionally play several of the X games

Panos
x4

Post by Panos » Mon, 11. Oct 21, 20:46

Diroc wrote:
Mon, 11. Oct 21, 16:03
I currently am watching a station that was at 0/0 hull currently being attacked by 6 K and an I (Plus numerous fighters)
The hull is at 0 but it doesn't seem to be blowing up.
Station is a Teladi Trading station in Hewa's Twin 1
When you click on the modules that were not inactive to find where they are physically, Some modules didn't seem to have a corresponding location (Highlight) that shows up. ( -%) also in the list.
I believe one was a maintenance area.

I'm wondering if they're not shootable (Potentially having no physical presence) and hence making the station immortal.

A rebuild was triggered and at one point, Hull was 0/0
A builder showed up and started building.
The station is currently at 0/600k and Inactive modules are once again being generated from scratch as the timer had previously expired bringing the modules back to the semi-transparent construction phase.

The station started out at 81Million Hull (Stock) originally.

My questions are:
Why does the station not explode at 0 Hull? This would make sense.
Why are there modules the AI can't seem to target to inactivate?
Are these stations destroyable?
What's the story with the timers going up and down on the modules being built.

Thanks in advance.
That mighty Teladi trade station is holding strong for 2 years now :lol:

Diroc
x4

Post by Diroc » Tue, 12. Oct 21, 06:43

Xenon_Slayer wrote:
Mon, 11. Oct 21, 17:48
Hi. There are upcoming improvements related to station destruction. That said, the Teladi Trade Station is a bit of a special case, so do you mind passing us a savegame so we can check what's going on. Cheers.
Here is a copy of a recent save
Some of the destroyers got sidetracked by a Construction Vessel and wandered off to attack my station rather than return to the attack.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/u1d3sqfe ... ml.gz/file

WIth regards to the following picture:

https://imgur.com/a/B0yy3ct

The station modules with (-%) at the end of the name and no timer or [Inactive] Tag don't actually exist on the shown map, or in game.

There are 2 habitat dock areas. (I assume landing pads)
2 Habitat Ring Clamps (The trapezoidal wings on the sides of the ring) There should be 4 Only the bottom 2 exist.
The Maintenance Area is the centre solid Hexagon normally located in the centre of the Rear docking star with the Hexagonal Hole in the centre (Missing from the map view)
Habitat Ring Extension is the back half of the center station body with the tail portion sticking through the Maintenance Area hole (Missing)
Habitat Center Complex (The Front half of the Center station portion that contains the docking pads)

When flying around the station, these modules don't exist. They have no hitbox/collision mesh. you can fly through the volume they normally occupy unimpeded.
It's empty space. Because of this, they can't be shot.
They can't be inactivated by being shot.

Since the station has been brought to 0 hull strength, it's evident the trigger for station destruction isn't 0 hull.
When 6 K and an I were hammering the station, All other modules were [Inactive] and the Hull read 0/0
If the Trigger is all modules [Inactive] It's clear that can't happen because there is no collision boxes to hit. The aforementioned modules can't take damage.

The problem is the (-%) listed modules.
I see several possible solutions to the problem.

1) Find what is causing the modules to list (-%) and fix it. (Optimal)
2) Find what the problem is in the save and fix it while parsing next load or prior to saving. -Hack-
3) Make station destruction trigger on 0 Hull Strength Destroy all modules Remove (-%) modules -Rework-
4) Remove all (-%) modules (They will never be rebuilt but station can be destroyed. Sub-Optimal)
5) Count and list (-%) modules as [Inactive] when assessing station destruction. Remove everything when the station is destroyed. -Work around-

Hopefully it's as simple as if variable < 0 then variable = 0. If it's funky null pointer stuff, Hopefully the problem is easy to chase out or work around.

Hopefully my observations and the enclosed save are useful towards finding a timely fix to this problem.

Best of luck. and Thanks in advance for your efforts.

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Tue, 12. Oct 21, 12:55

Thanks for the save. Thankfully, I can see that the upcoming improvements also work for this station and after a little while, the station is destroyed.
Come watch me on Twitch where I occasionally play several of the X games

Diroc
x4

Post by Diroc » Wed, 13. Oct 21, 01:44

Xenon_Slayer wrote:
Tue, 12. Oct 21, 12:55
Thanks for the save. Thankfully, I can see that the upcoming improvements also work for this station and after a little while, the station is destroyed.
Even better... I wasn't anticipating "The fix is already complete with additional improvements" to paraphrase what you are saying in a less subtle way.

The commitment to fixing and improving is both profound and rare among developers.
It deserves to be acknowleged for those lost in the nuance should they happen on this thread.

Return to “X4: Foundations”