Question: What is the range of Laser Tower MK1 ?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

camshaft97
x4

Question: What is the range of Laser Tower MK1 ?

Post by camshaft97 » Sun, 10. Oct 21, 22:27

Doing experiments, I was able to guestimate missile ranges, like:

Heavy Smart missile, about 7 km
Heavy Guided missile, about 5 km

*Anyone know the range of Laser Tower MK1?

(I don't know how to run an experiment on it)

Thanks,

GCU Grey Area
x4

Re: Question: What is the range of Laser Tower MK1 ?

Post by GCU Grey Area » Sun, 10. Oct 21, 22:45

camshaft97 wrote:
Sun, 10. Oct 21, 22:27
*Anyone know the range of Laser Tower MK1?
3km

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Sun, 10. Oct 21, 22:47

Same as S laser Mk1. With laser tower Mk2 using a S laser Mk2.

camshaft97
x4

Post by camshaft97 » Mon, 11. Oct 21, 21:52

Do they shoot at xenon defense drones ? On the map, I didn't see the drones do that ouch-shake that some icons do when hit...

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Mon, 11. Oct 21, 23:02

camshaft97 wrote:
Mon, 11. Oct 21, 21:52
Do they shoot at xenon defense drones ? On the map, I didn't see the drones do that ouch-shake that some icons do when hit...
Yes they do shoot at Xenon Defence Drones. However you need to be near by (high attention levels) for the drones to physically appear. Otherwise in low attention levels they are just factored in as a type of weapon to save computational resources.

A bug in 4.10 with beam weapons like L beam turrets might mean they have issues hitting ships with small profiles like drones. This should be fixed for a future version if this is the case.

camshaft97
x4

Post by camshaft97 » Tue, 12. Oct 21, 00:22

Well, I wasn't thinking this was tech issue, so I didn't mention that I'm on Linux with version 4.0, I see the [4.00] on the steam client. Low/high attention sounds like the right thing for the software to do, so ...

So, I might need advice: the laser towers are part of my strategy; I'm quickly swooping in, squirting out some towers, and running away, emphasis on "running away". Like, now you see me now you don't, hoping the towers "soften 'em up" before I attack with more substantial fighters.

Do I need to stay within sight? In which case, I'm going to ask the range of the xenon defense station? I guess I could experiment, just slowly get closer until I feel/hear a bump crash?

Ha, fun stuff,

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Tue, 12. Oct 21, 04:43

camshaft97 wrote:
Tue, 12. Oct 21, 00:22
Do I need to stay within sight? In which case, I'm going to ask the range of the xenon defense station? I guess I could experiment, just slowly get closer until I feel/hear a bump crash?
Their longest range and highest damage defences are L Gravaton Turrets. The range of them should be listed in the encyclopaedia but in any case it is significantly less than the standard faction L Plasma Turret or destroyer main battery guns. Most of the other defence turrets are positron and impulse M sized turrets that only pose a threat to S sized ships. Outside that they throw out defence drones at anywhere between 10 and 20 km, which can be shot down as normal and pose little threat to bigger ships.

The best way to kill xenon defence stations is by using destroyers, carriers or battleships. Destroyers and battleships you can sit back and fire main batteries and plasma turrets at them from outside their turret range. Carriers you can spam out S ships with anti-capital weapons to overwhelm and strip their turrets as well as slowly damage the station. Raptor (Split Vendetta DLC) is a hybrid carrier and battleship that can do both things at once minus the main batteries.

For the base game A few Behemoth or Odysseus should work. Behemoth can be captured in mass from SCA with very little cost. Odysseus has to be brought or built yourself unless you want to join a side in the Paranid conflict. Avoid Phoenix for high attention combat as the ships really under perform, but they can still be used in low attention as another Behemoth. With Split Vendetta the Rattlesnake and Raptor are better at destroying stations in high attention due to their higher firepower, however in low attention levels they are prone to being destroyed by the stations without micro due to their low shields. All Terran (Cradle of Humanity DLC) destroyers and battleships work very well against xenon stations, especially if fitted with L Plasma turrets (non-Terran loadout) and the superior Terran shield generators.

Return to “X4: Foundations”