4.10 Icons below the Target reticule ??

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Poacher886
x4

4.10 Icons below the Target reticule ??

Post by Poacher886 » Sat, 9. Oct 21, 11:01

I was aware that patch 4.10 brought some added icons below the target reticule, however i can't find any info on them and im a little confused as to their purpose....

There are three icons, i have no idea what the first or second represent, the third looks like a small target, is this a toggle for 'auto aim' ? because i have turned 'Auto-aim off in the settings, yet i still get a 'leading cross hair' where im meant to aim and shoot and cant seem to get rid of this regardless of whether i choose the icon to be dulled/blue/orange??? (i play with joystick and use mouse for looking around), (one advantage of being left handed!!)

Also pressing the 'A' key on my keyboard (i cant remember if this is default, or whether i choose it for auto-aim togle), sometimes makes the little target icon Orange, sometimes blue and sometimes Dulles out, yet it seems to swich between blue and Orange regardless....im a bit lost on this, can someone please explain the following to me.

1. What are the three icons representing
2. What do their respective colours represent.
3. How do i get rid of the 'leading cross hair')

Many thanks

Dj_FRedy
x4

Re: 4.10 Icons below the Target reticule ??

Post by Dj_FRedy » Sat, 9. Oct 21, 12:00

There is...
linolafett wrote:
Fri, 3. Sep 21, 09:43
My intention was to avoid having too much clutter on screen, so i did try to hide some icons, when their mode is not active.
The hidden icons are the autopilot (right side) and the auto roll (left hand side).

If its interesting, here are the states of the 5 icons (left to right).

Auto roll
Deactivated - invisible
Activated - grey
Active - blue
collision avoidance
Deactivated - orange
Activated - grey
Active - blue
Active means, it is currently applying a steering input on the ship
flight assist
Deactivated - orange
Active - blue
aim assist
Deactivated - orange
Activated - grey
Active - blue
Active means, it is currently rotating the weaponry towards the target.
auto pilot
Deactivated - invisible
Active - blue
"All my contributions to the Technical Support and Public Beta Feedback sections will be concise and to the point, no diatribes, that's what the other sections are for".
Thank you for your efforts.

Poacher886
x4

Post by Poacher886 » Sat, 9. Oct 21, 12:25

Wow, why do they always make everything so complex and clutted, just have de-activated as invisible. period! then if i dont want it (and i dont) = no clutter!

Thanks though

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Sat, 9. Oct 21, 13:06

Poacher886 wrote:
Sat, 9. Oct 21, 12:25
Wow, why do they always make everything so complex and clutted, just have de-activated as invisible. period! then if i dont want it (and i dont) = no clutter!
It is at least a hell of a lot less intrusive than having to have a big "Alert! Flight Assist Disabled" message plastered across the screen, which was previously the only indicator available for this. Can now have control mode messages disabled & find it much better to have a tiny icon which turns orange when operating in flight assist off mode. Flight assist mode is definitely at least one thing where I want a positive indicator for which mode I'm in (not just deactivated = invisible).

Poacher886
x4

Post by Poacher886 » Sat, 9. Oct 21, 13:19

GCU Grey Area wrote:
Sat, 9. Oct 21, 13:06
Poacher886 wrote:
It is at least a hell of a lot less intrusive than having to have a big "Alert! Flight Assist Disabled" message plastered across the screen, which was previously the only indicator available for this. Can now have control mode messages disabled & find it much better to have a tiny icon which turns orange when operating in flight assist off mode. Flight assist mode is definitely at least one thing where I want a positive indicator for which mode I'm in (not just deactivated = invisible).
Well i didn't realise we could disable the big text, i will look for that option, and i agree about an indicator for flight assist or not, however i disagree that a simple icon for when its on and not when it not is not better than having to notice the colour of the icon.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Sat, 9. Oct 21, 14:09

Poacher886 wrote:
Sat, 9. Oct 21, 13:19
Well i didn't realise we could disable the big text, i will look for that option, and i agree about an indicator for flight assist or not, however i disagree that a simple icon for when its on and not when it not is not better than having to notice the colour of the icon.
If you've not found it yet the relevant option is in Settings > Game Settings > Show Control Mode Messages.

As for the icons I do find it noticeably quicker/easier to check the colour of an icon, rather than to look at the place on the screen where an icon might be to see if it's there or not.

Poacher886
x4

Post by Poacher886 » Sat, 9. Oct 21, 14:13

GCU Grey Area wrote:
Sat, 9. Oct 21, 14:09
Poacher886 wrote:
Sat, 9. Oct 21, 13:19
If you've not found it yet the relevant option is in Settings > Game Settings > Show Control Mode Messages.

As for the icons I do find it noticeably quicker/easier to check the colour of an icon, rather than to look at the place on the screen where an icon might be to see if it's there or not.
Ok, well were have to agree to disagree then. Thanks for the heads-up on the messages location, off it goes from now on.

Zloth2
x4

Post by Zloth2 » Sat, 9. Oct 21, 16:52

Poacher886 wrote:
If you have it vanish, it's going to be rough for people new to the system. They look to see if, say, auto-aim is on or off and they see... nothing. But is that because its off or because they are looking in the wrong spot? Gotta scan around and see if the icon is somewhere else. Eventually, everyone will learn where the icon is but it's going to be a pain until that happens. If you have an 'off' display, then they find it and know it's off - no doubt about it.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home
and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here! It's wondrous, with
treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross, but it's not for the
timid." ---- Q

linolafett
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by linolafett » Mon, 11. Oct 21, 11:36

I also still plan on adding a "mouse steering" indicator, as we show a control mode message for that one.
In addition, i want to change the colour of the "error" case for the collision avoidance. It is jarring to always have an orange indicator, if you disabled the collision avoidance.
01001100 01101001 01101110 01100101 01110011 00100000 01101111 01100110 00100000 01110100 01101001 01101101 01100101 01110011 00101110 00101110 00101110

My art stuff

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Mon, 11. Oct 21, 15:51

linolafett wrote:
Mon, 11. Oct 21, 11:36
I also still plan on adding a "mouse steering" indicator, as we show a control mode message for that one.
In addition, i want to change the colour of the "error" case for the collision avoidance. It is jarring to always have an orange indicator, if you disabled the collision avoidance.
Just make the unused ones grey, all of them... as for mouse steering I think that everybody can tell if they are mouse steering or not, really obvious isn't it?

Mycu
x4

Post by Mycu » Mon, 11. Oct 21, 16:20

dtpsprt wrote:
Mon, 11. Oct 21, 15:51
linolafett wrote:
Just make the unused ones grey, all of them... as for mouse steering I think that everybody can tell if they are mouse steering or not, really obvious isn't it?
Basically that was also my request few weeks ago: viewtopic.php?f=146&t=442153
X3 AP 3.1 + XRM
X3 AP 3.1 + LU

Poacher886
x4

Post by Poacher886 » Tue, 12. Oct 21, 15:52

dtpsprt wrote:
Mon, 11. Oct 21, 15:51
linolafett wrote:

Good compromise, i concurr

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 12. Oct 21, 17:59

Let's use the other active thread on this topic here for suggestions/complaints. The OP's question has been answered anyway.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Return to “X4: Foundations”