OOS stations are near invincible - Improvements in a build after 4.10 release.

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Treycore

OOS stations are near invincible - Improvements in a build after 4.10 release.

Post by Treycore » Fri, 24. Sep 21, 22:18

I haven’t seen many people talking about this and wondering if it’s just me… or we need to just open a new thread about this

But I’m watching destroyers roll up on stations and immediately being deleted OOS and doing no damage to the stations themselves OOS

Idk if this is a bug or a design decision to prevent stations from being destroyed without player involvement to keep the universe stable

If it’s a design decision, would love to be a pointed to a way to mod this out

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: OOS stations are near invincible

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 24. Sep 21, 22:41

It has been mentioned before a few times. One example.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Sat, 25. Sep 21, 01:12

It seems that factions like Xenon are far too happy to rebuild modules during combat. In fact I have seen Xenon rebuild (order to be rebuilt) destroyed defence modules before they even finished exploding! These modules have health but do not count towards station total health. As such a station consisting of only modules being rebuilt will have 0% health but still stuff to destroy. Most effective way to get rid of them is to park many powerful destroyers, like the Syn, pointing at them and eventually over 15 minutes or so they should be permanently destroyed.

There probably needs to be a 5 minute lockout on rebuilding station modules after taking substantial damage. Substantial damage would be like 5k damage or so over a minute so that the odd stray bullet does not proc it but being shelled constantly by a destroyer does.

humility925
x4

Post by humility925 » Sat, 25. Sep 21, 07:59

I would not said OOS Station are near invincible, but station is supportly hard to take it down but it's take a while to bring it down while in OOS, I had like one Carrier, one aut, and 5 destroy to do it.

I guess I need more destroyer to bring it down faster, I hadn't test with asguard battleship from terran, that is hard to get as it's cost so much and lot of resource to product, I believe.
Had a compassionate when you able... :)

Buzz2005
x4

Post by Buzz2005 » Sat, 25. Sep 21, 09:40

its enough of a problem for me that i stopped playing, xenons are super weak now, no change whatsoever in sector owners so dynamic universe is really not and rebuilt modules that explodes again and again is very, very annoying and game/immersion breaking for me
Fixed ships getting spawned away from ship configuration menu at resupply ships from automatically getting deployables.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sat, 25. Sep 21, 17:53

humility925 wrote:
Sat, 25. Sep 21, 07:59
... h asguard battleship from terran, that is hard to get as it's cost so much and lot of resource to product, I believe.
Small investment in Marines and Asgard is yours. Quite cheap. You might have to kill plenty of Terrans afterwards, but that I count as a bonus. :twisted:

I can't testify about the OOS demolition, for in our company the boss does important things personally. :roll:
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

paiku
x4

Post by paiku » Sun, 26. Sep 21, 07:24

Still not a single response from the dev's. So i think this is maybe intended to deal with other problems like factions wiping out factions.

Gersidi

Post by Gersidi » Tue, 28. Sep 21, 05:51

paiku wrote:
Sun, 26. Sep 21, 07:24
Still not a single response from the dev's. So i think this is maybe intended to deal with other problems like factions wiping out factions.
They are a small team, probably will never be answered. Chalk it up to another thing like fleet AI, which will never be fixed.

As for OP, do what I do, use 100 destroyers minimum for station attacks. I kill any OOS station in a few minutes.

paiku
x4

Post by paiku » Tue, 28. Sep 21, 07:46

Gersidi wrote:
Tue, 28. Sep 21, 05:51
As for OP, do what I do, use 100 destroyers minimum for station attacks. I kill any OOS station in a few minutes.
The point is not that he can't destroy stations OOS (there is a way either go with a large amount of Fighters or the suboptimal way that you mentioned to bring the same amount of Destroyers). The Problem is, that the AI can't destroy stations. Every player can steamroll the whole galaxy with ease at some point. But if you want to play in a dynamic universe, where you try to support factions, you won't see any changes.

LandogarX4
x4

Post by LandogarX4 » Tue, 28. Sep 21, 08:58

The universe is as stale and boring as it gets with 4.10.

Imagine going through all the trouble of the Paranid plot, to make them go to war with a faction, to support them with multiple shipyards. And then to see them fail to take over a single sector because they are unable to destroy bigger or well-armed stations no matter what huge armada they throw at it. So much for that dynamic universe. The only way you the player can influence it is to delete stations yourself in high attention.

Made threads about the broken OOS combat throughout the beta. 100% ignored. Maybe someone can email Bernd so that this issue (and the many others resulting from the broken OOS combat) finally get some attention.

Cookieknabberer
x4

Post by Cookieknabberer » Tue, 28. Sep 21, 11:37

Guys - you make me sad.

I am stuck since 12 hours mico-managing my Syn to prevent that Terran Asgard from dying on its route to the Yaki station.
Target is to get the achievement. However the Asgard is now stuck one system in away from the station as it cannot kill a ship wharf from the Xenon next to the gate.
The station is at 0% but does not vanish as it spawns new modules to be built.

Seems I can play something else again until this is fixed.

Treycore

Post by Treycore » Tue, 28. Sep 21, 12:09

Cookieknabberer wrote:
Tue, 28. Sep 21, 11:37
Guys - you make me sad.

I am stuck since 12 hours mico-managing my Syn to prevent that Terran Asgard from dying on its route to the Yaki station.
Target is to get the achievement. However the Asgard is now stuck one system in away from the station as it cannot kill a ship wharf from the Xenon next to the gate.
The station is at 0% but does not vanish as it spawns new modules to be built.

Seems I can play something else again until this is fixed.
Try blowing up the build storage pods? I think they’ll just keep trying to rebuild as long as they have resources stored there… I haven’t tried it yet

Old Drullo321
x4

Post by Old Drullo321 » Tue, 28. Sep 21, 12:15

LandogarX4 wrote:
Tue, 28. Sep 21, 08:58

Imagine going through all the trouble of the Paranid plot, to make them go to war with a faction, to support them with multiple shipyards. And then to see them fail to take over a single sector because they are unable to destroy bigger or well-armed stations no matter what huge armada they throw at it. So much for that dynamic universe. The only way you the player can influence it is to delete stations yourself in high attention.

Made threads about the broken OOS combat throughout the beta. 100% ignored. Maybe someone can email Bernd so that this issue (and the many others resulting from the broken OOS combat) finally get some attention.
This is definetly an issue. I had a savegame, started with 4.00 only for some hours and now with 4.10 30+ hours more.

=> No sector changed ownership in the whole savegame (had happened everygame before)
=> 5-6K can't take down one single station even without faction support in over 7h real time
=> Didn't see any Xenon I for the whole 4.10 experience outside Xenon sectors
=> Enemy commonwealth of planetes faction build and sustain stations all over in enemy sectors (normal, not defence stations) because none gets destroyed.
* PAR build 1/3 of all stations in Pontifex Claim (HOP sector)
* ZYA build 1/2 of all stations in Eleventh Hour

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Tue, 28. Sep 21, 12:41

LandogarX4 wrote:
Tue, 28. Sep 21, 08:58
"Money talks"?

If ships can kill, then player can be killed. Nice for Admiral, lethal for Mogul.
If ships die against stations, then more get sold. Nice for Mogul, boring for Admiral.
If nobody can kill anything, then there is no fight nor business. Really stale. Bad for all.

The economic simulation does not need "dynamic politics" as long as there is a sink and understandably "all alive, some miserable" sounds better than "some dead, some happy"?
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

rubahax4
x4

Post by rubahax4 » Tue, 28. Sep 21, 13:15

I think the problem is in the new function to slow down OOS battles.
I think you need to include this function in the experiment section and disable it by default.

paiku
x4

Post by paiku » Tue, 28. Sep 21, 13:25

rubahax4 wrote:
Tue, 28. Sep 21, 13:15
I think the problem is in the new function to slow down OOS battles.
I think you need to include this function in the experiment section and disable it by default.
I don't think that's the case. m/s ships working normally OOS. If you watch destroyers oos with seta you will see them circling around the station. IS they would just stand still and fire or move in a streight line to the target.

Cookieknabberer
x4

Post by Cookieknabberer » Tue, 28. Sep 21, 13:56

Treycore wrote:
Tue, 28. Sep 21, 12:09

Try blowing up the build storage pods? I think they’ll just keep trying to rebuild as long as they have resources stored there… I haven’t tried it yet
Nope does not work, I already made sure that no S reaches the build storage and the storage is empty. They still keep "building/planning" the structures.
So yes it would be a great idea if we could really kill their economics but seems that even that is not working anymore.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 28. Sep 21, 15:00

I have noticed that Xenon stations can often have multiple build storages spread around the same general area rather than just the one per station that you would usually expect. Perhaps you cleared out one or more, but not all of them? Not seeing them on the map and not being able to target them properly doesn't help either. Just a theory though.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Cookieknabberer
x4

Post by Cookieknabberer » Tue, 28. Sep 21, 15:08

Checked it. No additional build storages there. The S Ships also only fly to that one place and die horribly :twisted:

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Tue, 28. Sep 21, 15:49

Thanks for the reports. There are some issues, not exclusive to OOS combat, that may result in some stations being rather tough to kill. In short, they could end up recycling their wrecked modules faster than the attackers can wreck the rest. We've already made some improvements internally and will continue to look into feedback from 4.10.
Come watch me on Twitch where I occasionally play several of the X games

Return to “X4: Foundations”