Custom start: option to start on a station

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Pares
x4

Custom start: option to start on a station

Post by Pares » Thu, 23. Sep 21, 08:58

I'm returning again to try 4.1. I'm most excited about the custom game start, it is a really nice addition if you are a hc roleplayer, but I miss one option: to start without a ship on station. There is an option to start in a spacesuit, which is ok, but I tried starting a new game a couple of times in different (Terran) sectors, and the problem is that the nearest stations are always something like 50 kilometers away at least. Even with MK2 thrusters and with boost all the time, 35km/h max speed is way too slow to reach anything. It would be nice if there was an option to start on a station, like in the Young Gun Argon game start, just without a ship.

If you are curious, I want to start from the absolute bottom for the best "level 0 nobody" experience. No property, just enough credits to buy and then sell some trade wares and hitchhike my way through the universe until I gather enough money for my first ship. BTW, is it too much to ask for an inter-sector taxi service? Or to just be able to pay random pilots to take me somewhere?

humility925
x4

Re: Custom start: option to start on a station

Post by humility925 » Thu, 23. Sep 21, 09:25

I agree, it's not very reasonable to start spacesuit, because it's too far and too much time, and it's ran out of air then game over, should start on station rather than spacesuit at least, in shipyard or something.
Had a compassionate when you able... :)

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Thu, 23. Sep 21, 09:30

Agree, would be nice to be able to start at a station. For the moment though it is at least possible to set starting location within a sector by clicking on the map in the top-right corner of the custom start config screen. If you know the approximate location of certain stations (& big ones such as shipyards tend to be fairly consistent) it's possible to start a spacesuit run relatively close to one.

Pares
x4

Post by Pares » Thu, 23. Sep 21, 09:46

GCU Grey Area wrote:
Thu, 23. Sep 21, 09:30
Agree, would be nice to be able to start at a station. For the moment though it is at least possible to set starting location within a sector by clicking on the map in the top-right corner of the custom start config screen. If you know the approximate location of certain stations (& big ones such as shipyards tend to be fairly consistent) it's possible to start a spacesuit run relatively close to one.
Oh, I didn't know you could select the actual position within a sector, that is good to know, thanks.

Good Wizard
x4

Post by Good Wizard » Thu, 23. Sep 21, 12:59

GCU Grey Area wrote:
I experimented a bit with spacesuit starts. Based on a background story for my character I started in the Void. I selected a place near the Jumpgate to Second Contact, but with several tries I never managed to either 'catch' a ship or be near enough to a station. The best distance was around 20 km, which may be possible (provided you give yourself Mk2 thrusters), but very boring because it will take a long time - best speed with permanent boosting was 6 m/s.

I had hoped that often a ANT Trade Station is near the gate, but it always was too far.

So yes, being able to either set an option so that you are spawned in a range of say 5 km or so near a station, or even spawning on a station would be helpful. Hitching a ride, i.e. docking on a passing friendly ship is nearly impossible, because you see ships only 'optical', you have no scanner. So even L ships near a gate, which remain there for a while maneuvering, cannot be caught, because either you are too far away, or you see them too late.

Another option would be to be able to call for help - you also have no communication in the spacesuit. So you can only order your own ships, or even buy one. This option should be built into the game anyway, not as an important thing, but it could lead to more game play and more missions, since a new type of mission could be SR (Search and Rescue) or even as harder mission CSR (Combat Search and Rescue).

Pares
x4

Post by Pares » Thu, 23. Sep 21, 14:53

Good Wizard wrote:
Thu, 23. Sep 21, 12:59
GCU Grey Area wrote:
I experimented a bit with spacesuit starts. Based on a background story for my character I started in the Void. I selected a place near the Jumpgate to Second Contact, but with several tries I never managed to either 'catch' a ship or be near enough to a station. The best distance was around 20 km, which may be possible (provided you give yourself Mk2 thrusters), but very boring because it will take a long time - best speed with permanent boosting was 6 m/s.

I had hoped that often a ANT Trade Station is near the gate, but it always was too far.

So yes, being able to either set an option so that you are spawned in a range of say 5 km or so near a station, or even spawning on a station would be helpful. Hitching a ride, i.e. docking on a passing friendly ship is nearly impossible, because you see ships only 'optical', you have no scanner. So even L ships near a gate, which remain there for a while maneuvering, cannot be caught, because either you are too far away, or you see them too late.

Another option would be to be able to call for help - you also have no communication in the spacesuit. So you can only order your own ships, or even buy one. This option should be built into the game anyway, not as an important thing, but it could lead to more game play and more missions, since a new type of mission could be SR (Search and Rescue) or even as harder mission CSR (Combat Search and Rescue).
There is an option to set a seed. Would that affect the position of the stations too? Because if yes, you could start a new game with knowing where exactly the stations will be.

Good Wizard
x4

Post by Good Wizard » Thu, 23. Sep 21, 16:40

Pares wrote:
Thu, 23. Sep 21, 14:53
Good Wizard wrote:
<...>
There is an option to set a seed. Would that affect the position of the stations too? Because if yes, you could start a new game with knowing where exactly the stations will be.
Nice idea - will try it.

Pares
x4

Post by Pares » Thu, 23. Sep 21, 18:05

Good Wizard wrote:
Thu, 23. Sep 21, 16:40
Pares wrote:
Thu, 23. Sep 21, 14:53
Good Wizard wrote:
<...>
Nice idea - will try it.
I tried it and it works! If you provide a seed, the station positions won't change!

Return to “X4: Foundations”