[Feature request] Combat music toggle

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Would you like a combat music toggle?

I'd like this
59%
I am indifferent to this
41%
I dislike this idea (please explain why)
No votes

Total votes: 17

Falcrack
x4

[Feature request] Combat music toggle

Post by Falcrack » Tue, 21. Sep 21, 19:30

I almost always prefer peaceful sector soundtracks to the blaring, frantic combat music that triggers when an enemy is nearby or I am engaged in combat. Could we get a toggle in the audio settings to allow us to not have combat music trigger in the presence of enemies? I know there is a mod for this, but I would absolutely love to have this option in vanilla games.

Y-llian
x4

Re: [Feature request] Combat music toggle

Post by Y-llian » Tue, 21. Sep 21, 20:52

I don’t mind the combat tracks or tension ones when enemies are near. But it would be nice to have some variety, maybe some that recycle in these situations. After you’ve been in battles a few times, as good as the music is, it gets a bit old, sadly….

I have no objection to a toggled option as outlined though. :)

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Tue, 21. Sep 21, 22:03

Indifferent - don't like the abrupt change in music when enemies are near, however already use a workaround that is better than a simple toggle would be. I keep in-game music muted & use desktop shortcuts to play the soundtracks independently of the game. In addition to removing the abrupt shift to combat music, it also means I can listen to Terran or Split music regardless of which sector I'm in, I can set the soundtracks to random & can listen to music from older X games while playing X4.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 21. Sep 21, 22:09

A much requested associated change in that area would be if enemies travelling on highways did not trigger the combat music until they leave the highway while still in range.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Tue, 21. Sep 21, 22:40

Having the tracks fade in and out seamlessly would be nice. Such as combat music fading back to the standard sector BGM as if it progressed during that time. This way enemies passing on highways or you passing enemies would not be as disruptive since the music would quickly fade back like nothing happened.

However this is a fairly common problem in games. Anno 1800 has something similar with their disaster music which was why in a recent patch they added an option to turn it off (instead of a more complex solution like above). As such turning combat music off is a reasonable solution I guess?

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Wed, 22. Sep 21, 01:09

Falcrack wrote:
Tue, 21. Sep 21, 19:30
I almost always prefer peaceful sector soundtracks to the blaring, frantic combat music that triggers when an enemy is nearby or I am engaged in combat. Could we get a toggle in the audio settings to allow us to not have combat music trigger in the presence of enemies? I know there is a mod for this, but I would absolutely love to have this option in vanilla games.
Oh yes, wonderful idea. I prefer the game giving me the occasional surprise attack I haven't noticed, rather than being pre-warned by the game music change. Plus getting to hear more of the beautiful music in game instead of it being interrupted too often.

I made a mod for Skyrim and Skyrim SE called Kill the orchestra for similar reasons (though I wanted to hear less of the music in that game and more wildlife sounds, and not be warned by the change in music of an enemy nearby .. Better immersion).

With this game though I dont wish to use mods and lose the bonus items Ventures brings (when its enabled again that is).
Laptop Dell G15 5510 : Win 11 x64
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

:boron: Long live Queen Polypheides and may her tentacles always be supple.
Seeker of Sohnen.

Berserk Knight
x4

Post by Berserk Knight » Wed, 22. Sep 21, 02:24

Falcrack wrote:
Tue, 21. Sep 21, 19:30
I know there is a mod for this
One of the mods I will absolutely not part with.
I play modded anyways, but it really would be a good addition for those that only play vanilla.

Imperial Good wrote:
Tue, 21. Sep 21, 22:40
Having the tracks fade in and out seamlessly would be nice. Such as combat music fading back to the standard sector BGM as if it progressed during that time.
Best I've seen it done was back in the DOS era with X-Wing. Maybe if we went back to using MIDI files... :D

Return to “X4: Foundations”