New piloting missions

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

aurumgallente
x4

New piloting missions

Post by aurumgallente » Mon, 20. Sep 21, 19:55

I talked to Gimbutz and he asked me to make forum topic.

For now player in early game can't touch and get test drive of S and M ships without buying it as well as different layouts of them. Also L/XL ships have different landing approaches but player needs to dock to them not very frequently. I suggest to add new types of early game missions. Ships should not be restricted to faction, ships of allied races should be also in a list of those missions.
  • Move my ship, I fired my pilot

game generates S ship with random layout without pilot and crew, ship is docked to some station. NPC asks to move that ship from station A to station B, mission has timer.
  • Rookie needs trade lessons
NPC asks to teach a pilot how to move wares. Game generates S/M transport with random layout, a ship has 1 passenger (rookie). Player needs to use this ship to buy X amount of Y ware and deliver it to Z station. After that NPC asks to transfer control over ship and rookie becomes pilot of this ship.
  • Rookie needs mining lessons
NPC asks to teach a pilot how to find and mine minerals. Game generates S/M solid miner with 1 passenger. Player has to use this ship to mine X amount of solid minerals and deliver ship to a station. After that NPC asks to transfer control over ship and rookie becomes pilot of this ship.
  • Rookie needs combat lessons
NPC asks to teach a pilot how to attack enemies. Game generates S interceptor/fighter/heavy fighter with 1 passenger, player has to kill X ships of certain model using given ship and deliver ship back to a station. After that NPC asks to transfer control over ship and rookie becomes pilot of this ship.
  • Passenger needs taxi
NPC asks to pick him/her up at capital ship A and dock to capital ship B.

Treycore

Re: New piloting missions

Post by Treycore » Tue, 21. Sep 21, 19:45

I do like the idea of giving us a reason to dock at NPC ships for randomized missions, but I’d imagine it could be a pain trying to keep up with a ship that is constantly moving or changing sectors or even heading into a combat zone

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Tue, 21. Sep 21, 21:25

These are good missions, I only have some reserves with the combat one. It can not be a "random" opponent that the player will have to do combat with as this may affect the player's relations with the faction that e/she attacks... Let the player face a good proportion of Xenon or Khaak according to the ship used. Something like 2 M's for an Elite Vanguard, 4 for Ares or Eclipse Vanguard or 2 P's for a Nemesis etc...

Ormac
x4

Post by Ormac » Wed, 22. Sep 21, 01:54

I imagine with Rookie needs a Mining Lesson the NPC pilot has information to a suitable mining location.
Or is it more likely show me how to collect X solid of resource K.

With the Move my ship, I fired My Pilot I hope the timer is healthy enough.
Are you sure it's possible for the Player to return to their ship at the end of the mission.

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Wed, 22. Sep 21, 07:48

Ormac wrote:
Wed, 22. Sep 21, 01:54
I imagine with Rookie needs a Mining Lesson the NPC pilot has information to a suitable mining location.

Are you sure it's possible for the Player to return to their ship at the end of the mission.
There already is a kind of mission to pick up somebody, find X resources, mine them, return the guy.... so... nothing new, except for the chance to fly another ship. On the other you can always take such missions after you have researched some Teleportation, so you just teleport back to your ship or have it land at your destination (if it is fast enough) before you...

Ormac
x4

Post by Ormac » Wed, 22. Sep 21, 09:44

dtpsprt wrote:
Wed, 22. Sep 21, 07:48
Ormac wrote:
Wed, 22. Sep 21, 01:54

There already is a kind of mission to pick up somebody, find X resources, mine them, return the guy.... so... nothing new, except for the chance to fly another ship. On the other you can always take such missions after you have researched some Teleportation, so you just teleport back to your ship or have it land at your destination (if it is fast enough) before you...
I am aware that the mining mission is similar to existing ones, just that requirement for the Player to own it isn't neseccary.

I raised the point about the Move my ship mission thinking the ship could be located like it's been trapped in a mine field. The Player flys [maybe their only ship] to the site claims the ship and flys it back for the mission and then gives control back to the NPC but maybe the player has not got a relief pilot or completed teleportation yet so could be possible end up stranded.

The other new testdrive missions seem to suggest a test the ship and return to start so the Player can effectively continue their adventure after the mission.

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Wed, 22. Sep 21, 11:30

Ormac wrote:
Wed, 22. Sep 21, 09:44

I raised the point about the Move my ship mission thinking the ship could be located like it's been trapped in a mine field. The Player flys [maybe their only ship] to the site claims the ship and flys it back for the mission and then gives control back to the NPC but maybe the player has not got a relief pilot or completed teleportation yet so could be possible end up stranded.

The other new testdrive missions seem to suggest a test the ship and return to start so the Player can effectively continue their adventure after the mission.
This type of mission exists in the Guild missions. You free a ship from a mine field and then you have to personally fly it to where it belongs and give control. Of course, since it is in the Guild missions which means that the player has already rep +10 with the Teladi or Antigone, it is very rare that, at least, there is no relief pilot on the player's ship never mind teleportation.

Return to “X4: Foundations”