Attacking a station

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

dcarver
x4

Attacking a station

Post by dcarver » Fri, 17. Sep 21, 15:57

Do we not have access to the same orders as the computer AI?

I notice when the computer attacks a station, they attack from range. When I attack they fly as close as possible.

From my experience the player is expected to micromanage, which is fine although I can't do that with more then one ship due to the scripts. Basically my ships don't go to where I tell them, they still fly into stations, or don't get in range... but mostly they fly into the station and there is not enough time to turn around... and if I tell them to move farther away it takes way to long and the location they move to is not accurate enough.

LameFox
x4

Re: Attacking a station

Post by LameFox » Fri, 17. Sep 21, 16:23

I have heard this is related to pilot skill, and that higher skill makes them attack from further (e.g. using destroyer main guns) though the game itself is very unclear about what skills actually do.
***modified***

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Fri, 17. Sep 21, 16:34

Generally find it's best to tell each ship where to go before commencing their attack, so they can form up in a firing line at an appropriate distance from the target. To do this I shift-select all my destroyers as a group, give them the attack order, then click on each ship's order line & drag it to a new position. This inserts an fly to order in each ship's order queue & creates the firing line. This is a typical example:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5qclmezr2k6su ... 1.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9hhsev4mwb8c8 ... 1.jpg?dl=0

Shepp
x3ap

Post by Shepp » Fri, 17. Sep 21, 16:39

How are your turrets configured? I have had pretty good luck with putting Plasma Cannons on the L turrets (They are nearly the range of your main guns), with the "Attack Capitals" and then setting the M turrets to "Attack Fighters". This typically results in my destroyers attacking from range. Otherwise, they try to get in close so all of the turrets are in range of the target.

Karmaticdamage
x4

Post by Karmaticdamage » Sat, 18. Sep 21, 00:29

its a lot easier to just park L plasma destroyers around a station. Don't tell them to attack, let them just sit there and and turrets will do the work. Set their behavior to ignore attacks so they continue to just sit there if attacked by drones. M turrets should be ARG M flak or ARG M pulse to deal with defense drones.

Return to “X4: Foundations”