Anyone else a little sad you can't truly play as Xenon with the custom game start?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

steelman111
x4

Anyone else a little sad you can't truly play as Xenon with the custom game start?

Post by steelman111 » Fri, 17. Sep 21, 13:11

With the new custom game starts feature I found that to my surprise you can start yourself in any Xenon vessel and fly it from the T to the I!!!, you can also create a Xenon fleet and control it and even give yourself many Xenon equipment and ship blueprints, but unfortunately you're unable to build Xenon stations and can't build or buy Xenon ships from existing stations, you're also unable to re-enter a Xenon vessel if you leave it so unfortunately a Xenon playthrough is impossible for now, is there any chance the developers could fix these issues at some point so that being able to play fully as the Xenon would be possible? It'd be pretty awesome!

LameFox
x4

Re: Anyone else a little sad you can't truly play as Xenon with the custom game start?

Post by LameFox » Fri, 17. Sep 21, 13:38

I am still disappointed they did not make them conventionally flyable, personally. There was a lore reason to explain why they had interiors and everything. I am under the impression that was written out, though, so I guess it's not likely it will change now unless they add some mechanism to retrofit or reverse engineer and redesign the ships (e.g. through research).
***modified***

dtpsprt
x4

Re: Anyone else a little sad you can't truly play as Xenon with the custom game start?

Post by dtpsprt » Fri, 17. Sep 21, 13:41

It would be nice, even wonderful. Still, according to Lore the Xenon do not board ships, the are the ships, also they are the stations. According to X mechanics (present since XBTF), the player is a faction on him/herself, so controlling other Xenon (mainly the S) is not possible.

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Fri, 17. Sep 21, 13:44

LameFox wrote:
Fri, 17. Sep 21, 13:38
I am still disappointed they did not make them conventionally flyable, personally. There was a lore reason to explain why they had interiors and everything. I am under the impression that was written out, though, so I guess it's not likely it will change now unless they add some mechanism to retrofit or reverse engineer and redesign the ships (e.g. through research).
Unfortunately this part of the lore was abandoned in X Rebirth and despite the popularity of the mod that made Xenon ships boardable has permeated in X4 (most of the bad things in X Rebirth have done so IMHO with the only exception the single, exclusive player ship). Also unfortunately the good things of X Rebirth were not "rebirthed" in X4...

-=SiR KiLLaLoT=-
x4

Post by -=SiR KiLLaLoT=- » Fri, 17. Sep 21, 13:51

But you can play as their ally and turn all factions against you. Now that would be a really hardcore game :roll: :roll:
HW Spec:
CPU: Core i9 9900k @ 5.0Ghz - MOBO: MSI Z390-A PRO - RAM: 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix MAX DDR4 4400Mhz CL19 - GPU: nVidia RTX 3070 FE - M.2: Samsung 980 512GB - SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB - Sandisk Plus 240GB – HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB – WD Caviar Blue 1TB – WD Caviar Black 2TB - PSU: Enermax Liberty 82+ PRO 620w - CASE: iTek Iron Soldier - MONITOR: 27” Acer ED270UP - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit - KEYBOARD: Logitech G11 – MOUSE: Red Dragon Perdition
My X4 Steam screenshots.

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Fri, 17. Sep 21, 13:54

dtpsprt wrote:
Fri, 17. Sep 21, 13:44
LameFox wrote:
Unfortunately this part of the lore was abandoned in X Rebirth and despite the popularity of the mod that made Xenon ships boardable has permeated in X4 (most of the bad things in X Rebirth have done so IMHO with the only exception the single, exclusive player ship). Also unfortunately the good things of X Rebirth were not "rebirthed" in X4...
I still hope they get around to it someday... after all the models exist already, and while they need some cosmetic adjustment for entry/exit and landing, there's probably no need to add visible cockpits or anything—they could just imply it's a screen displaying footage from outside. Collecting and reverse engineering Xenon ships was sort of a nice later game hobby in X3, and I feel like this game needs more of those. Too many are just 'accumulate resources' which basically amounts to 'turn on SETA and wait'.

If in the process it meant there was an outlet for people who wanted Xenon or Xenon-adjacent playthroughs, well, so much the better. Maybe they could let them choose Yaki as a race to pilot the ships lol.
***modified***

Thourion
x4

Post by Thourion » Fri, 17. Sep 21, 15:21

To be honest, after i played the game (im still new to it), and see that the Xenon now do what other races do, like traveling the highways, supply ships etc etc I keep getting the fealing that at some point we will get a Xenon DLC.

I mean lore wise ... well cmon now what is lore? (oh baby don. ... ahem) Lore is what the loremaker decides really.
You can have the Xenon trying to test a "new thing" by pulling out your brain and stuck a cpu there.

So basically you are normal meatbag, but with xenon for brains :D
That way you can walk the way you do with any other playable race in game.

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Fri, 17. Sep 21, 20:52

Thourion wrote:
Fri, 17. Sep 21, 15:21
To be honest, after i played the game (im still new to it), and see that the Xenon now do what other races do, like traveling the highways, supply ships etc etc I keep getting the fealing that at some point we will get a Xenon DLC.

I mean lore wise ... well cmon now what is lore? (oh baby don. ... ahem) Lore is what the loremaker decides really.
You can have the Xenon trying to test a "new thing" by pulling out your brain and stuck a cpu there.

So basically you are normal meatbag, but with xenon for brains :D
That way you can walk the way you do with any other playable race in game.
For a game that has 5 iterations already lore is very significant. That said you'll notice the (unforgivable IMHO) change of that lore in X Rebirth...

As for your idea it's really good and it can have lots of variations/routes for the player to follow but I seriously doubt that Egosoft can "spend" the wotkhours needed for such a thing given the size of the company.

NightmareNight91
x4

Post by NightmareNight91 » Fri, 24. Sep 21, 03:30

Being able to play as yaki would have been nice imo...

Treycore

Post by Treycore » Fri, 24. Sep 21, 04:22

NightmareNight91 wrote:
Fri, 24. Sep 21, 03:30
I’m fine with the xenon never being playable and just being the bad guys… I do wish they had more ship variants to spice things up even if we never get too fly them

But yaki would definitely be a cool potential storyline starter, could maybe do the yaki plot in reverse with a yaki start

NightmareNight91
x4

Post by NightmareNight91 » Fri, 24. Sep 21, 06:10

Treycore wrote:
Fri, 24. Sep 21, 04:22
NightmareNight91 wrote:
Fri, 24. Sep 21, 03:30
I’m fine with the xenon never being playable and just being the bad guys… I do wish they had more ship variants to spice things up even if we never get too fly them

But yaki would definitely be a cool potential storyline starter, could maybe do the yaki plot in reverse with a yaki start
Id love this, or just allowing us to pick a yaki character model and ship for budgeted custom starts.

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Fri, 24. Sep 21, 11:25

NightmareNight91 wrote:
Fri, 24. Sep 21, 06:10
Id love this, or just allowing us to pick a yaki character model and ship for budgeted custom starts.
I'm still trying to find out if it is possible (in the budgeted) if one has finished the Yaki plot. So long I have finished 2 of the 3 "variants" of it, but it still remains "locked". Now giving it a try for the third and see if it opens. If not it is surely a bug...

On the other hand even in the "creative" one can not play as a Yaki, even though the Yaki ships are unlocked...

NightmareNight91
x4

Post by NightmareNight91 » Sat, 25. Sep 21, 03:51

dtpsprt wrote:
Fri, 24. Sep 21, 11:25
NightmareNight91 wrote:
Fri, 24. Sep 21, 06:10
I'm still trying to find out if it is possible (in the budgeted) if one has finished the Yaki plot. So long I have finished 2 of the 3 "variants" of it, but it still remains "locked". Now giving it a try for the third and see if it opens. If not it is surely a bug...

On the other hand even in the "creative" one can not play as a Yaki, even though the Yaki ships are unlocked...
I can confirm you dont unlock the yaki ships for budgeted start, i dont see any reason why it shouldnt be though, if you select the plot as complete it should open the character model and ships IMO. This way it doesnt spoil anything for people using budgeted start but have not done the yaki plot. (If you can even call it a spoiler)

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Sat, 25. Sep 21, 12:54

NightmareNight91 wrote:
Sat, 25. Sep 21, 03:51
I can confirm you dont unlock the yaki ships for budgeted start, i dont see any reason why it shouldnt be though, if you select the plot as complete it should open the character model and ships IMO. This way it doesnt spoil anything for people using budgeted start but have not done the yaki plot. (If you can even call it a spoiler)
There is certainly a bug concerning the Budgeted start. Even finishing two of the three possible scenarios the Yaki plot remains "locked" these outcomes can not be selected as completed....

Rei Ayanami
x4

Post by Rei Ayanami » Sun, 26. Sep 21, 04:18

I don't really like the idea of making Xenon playable, especially not as humanoid avatars walking around since it'd humanize the Xenon too much.
Also, it wouldn't really make much sense for an individual Xenon ship having to trade and pay credits to its own faction, care about mission rewards or reputation, so a huge chunk of the game (trading, missions, etc) would be unavailable.

In my opinion having a Yaki game start with Xenon as allies would be a good compromise because this at least makes sense.

But before that we'd need to have different docking modules for the Xenon wharf and shipyard. Right now they use the same docking modules as the other races. If you take a closer look (or even land there with a custom game start) then you can see that even the Xenon shipyard has a nice shopping center and trading corner, just like the other races, which is rather silly.
LameFox wrote:
Well, in-lore the Xenon we have in X:Rebirth and X4 are of a different branch than those we had in XBtf~X3:AP. While the latter ones (X-BTF~X3) were more close to the original terrraformers from Earth, probably with hardcoded instructions that each ship must have a cockpit so human colonizers can enter and fly them manually,which would explain why we could fly Xenon ships in earlier games, the branch we have in X:R/X4 seems to be a further developed one (it's branch 9, if i remember correctly), one where the instruction for a humanoid-compatible cockpit might have been erased.

NightmareNight91
x4

Post by NightmareNight91 » Sun, 26. Sep 21, 06:22

Or the devs just took a lazy way out of letting us have fun and fly everything...my 2 cents *puts on flame retardant gear*

Malchar
x4

Post by Malchar » Sun, 26. Sep 21, 06:44

You have mods to play as xenon or fly on xenons ships. For yaki I m not aware.

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Sun, 26. Sep 21, 08:50

Rei Ayanami wrote:
Sun, 26. Sep 21, 04:18
Well, in-lore the Xenon we have in X:Rebirth and X4 are of a different branch than those we had in XBtf~X3:AP. While the latter ones (X-BTF~X3) were more close to the original terrraformers from Earth, probably with hardcoded instructions that each ship must have a cockpit so human colonizers can enter and fly them manually,which would explain why we could fly Xenon ships in earlier games, the branch we have in X:R/X4 seems to be a further developed one (it's branch 9, if i remember correctly), one where the instruction for a humanoid-compatible cockpit might have been erased.
They are the ones who write the lore though so it being written into lore doesn't make the decision less disappointing. Still at some point they decided Xenon ships would no longer be flyable by the players.
***modified***

Botschafter Von Den Glück
x4

Post by Botschafter Von Den Glück » Wed, 29. Sep 21, 22:55

Xenon are machines and the worst foe of mankind in here- and in argon universe.

you cannot play what is foreign.
Botschafter von den Glücksplaneten: Zu 100% Doktor. Die vertrauen mir!

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Thu, 30. Sep 21, 01:55

I'd want to fly Xenon ships, except that their ships are crappy performers compared to the other factions.

Return to “X4: Foundations”