L-turrets broken in 4.10?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

jlehtone
x4

Re: L-turrets broken in 4.10?

Post by jlehtone » Mon, 27. Sep 21, 22:25

capitalduty wrote:
Mon, 27. Sep 21, 22:19
IMHO Just reverting back to 4.0 vanilla turret scripts would do the trick here...before was working mostly good!
Yes, some turret commands did work, but not all. There were confirmed bugs in 4.0. The promised fix in 4.1 ... you make it sound that some not working evolved into all not working, rather than none. :gruebel:
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

capitalduty

Post by capitalduty » Mon, 27. Sep 21, 22:55

jlehtone wrote:
Mon, 27. Sep 21, 22:25
capitalduty wrote:
Mon, 27. Sep 21, 22:19
IMHO Just reverting back to 4.0 vanilla turret scripts would do the trick here...before was working mostly good!
Yes, some turret commands did work, but not all. There were confirmed bugs in 4.0. The promised fix in 4.1 ... you make it sound that some not working evolved into all not working, rather than none. :gruebel:
I understand that some fixes were needed on turret behavior and many more adjustment and new options would be really nice in near future. But right now I consider we are way backwards in turret functions being last improvement that 4.0 did...Maybe you can compare pre 4.10 vanilla to now? You will easily detect something is wrong with turrets targets detection and firing sequence, turret fire is now completely unreliable for L turrets making many capital ships unplayable.

Shepp
x3ap

Post by Shepp » Thu, 30. Sep 21, 15:43

I've had some time to tinker around with this some more and have made some additional observations. In the save I posted above the piloted ship and the Odysseus both have their L turrets set to "Attack Capitals". The L turrets fire until the station is 90% hull and part of the station explodes. The L turrets on both ships then cease firing.

If I set the turret behaviors to "Attack all Enemies" they also do not fore. When I set the behavior to "Attack my Current Target" the L turrets on both ships resumed firing. They would stop and start again as I switched between the behaviors. I couldn't test defend for the L turrets because the Kha'ak station wasn't shooting back at me.

This is kind of off topic, but when the turrets did start firing again, I'm not sure they actually hit anything. It appeared that they were aiming at a fixed point on the station. They would shoot at the same spot regardless of how I maneuvered my ship. It was hard to tell but it didn't look like that spot was actually anything to hit.

|K.O.S.H.
x3tc

Post by |K.O.S.H. » Tue, 12. Oct 21, 13:09

Edit:
looks like they fixed it

viewtopic.php?f=192&t=441779
Wing Commander Mod - German Topic
06.07.11 - v1.1 RELEASED!

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 12. Oct 21, 16:57

... or rather will fix it in a future build.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

|K.O.S.H.
x3tc

Post by |K.O.S.H. » Wed, 13. Oct 21, 12:03

I hope you are kidding.
"shooting at the enemy" is a major feature and should not be (left) broken...

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 13. Oct 21, 13:15

Well if the issue is here reported in 4.10 release and as yet there have been no updates/hotfixes since 4.10 release then the fix *must* be in a future build whether as an update or as a hotfix. :wink:

sh1pman
x4

Post by sh1pman » Wed, 13. Oct 21, 14:54

So… just set L turrets to attack my current target. Seems like an easy workaround.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 13. Oct 21, 15:01

This is a genuine question about that workaround. Turret order 'Attack my current target'; is that the player's current target or the current target of the ship the turret belongs to?

If the former, then how does that help or work if the player in a different ship and the ship with the turret currently have quite different targets? I do understand how it would work if it were the latter though.

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Wed, 13. Oct 21, 15:28

Alan Phipps wrote:
Wed, 13. Oct 21, 15:01
This is a genuine question about that workaround. Turret order 'Attack my current target'; is that the player's current target or the current target of the ship the turret belongs to?

If the former, then how does that help or work if the player in a different ship and the ship with the turret currently have quite different targets? I do understand how it would work if it were the latter though.
I am pretty sure it is the player's target and is not useful unless the ship is nearby. I've used it during boarding for instance to have a stationary troop ship put its guns to use to bring shields down on a crippled destroyer. There used to be an equivalent "turret attacks what the ship is attacking" in X3 but it was one of those things we lost in the transition.
***modified***

|K.O.S.H.
x3tc

Post by |K.O.S.H. » Wed, 13. Oct 21, 15:36

Alan Phipps wrote:
Wed, 13. Oct 21, 13:15
Well if the issue is here reported in 4.10 release and as yet there have been no updates/hotfixes since 4.10 release then the fix *must* be in a future build whether as an update or as a hotfix. :wink:
Yeah, thats how i read it.
But i missunderstood your post.

My "fixed" referenced the unreleased development built.

So I meant "it's fixed, but not released" ;)
Which is fine for me...

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 13. Oct 21, 18:14

LameFox wrote:
Wed, 13. Oct 21, 15:28
I am pretty sure it is the player's target and is not useful unless the ship is nearby. I've used it during boarding for instance to have a stationary troop ship put its guns to use to bring shields down on a crippled destroyer. There used to be an equivalent "turret attacks what the ship is attacking" in X3 but it was one of those things we lost in the transition.
Fascinating. I had to test.

You are right, the "Attack my current Enemy" turrets of ships shoot at what you target. I was flying Peggy and watching, "painting" targets for the artillery. :o
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 13. Oct 21, 19:01

That could also explain a few of the 'Turrets don't work' complaints where the player's current target is not in range of the ship with the turrets using that order. :wink:

I tend to fly my personal ship in the general vicinity of my capitals doing the heavy damage to enemy capitals or stations, and I personally try to keep enemy fighters or drones from distracting my heavy-hitters from their task. That means that my current targets are not the capitals' target and are generally unsuitable for heavy weapon turret engagement in any case.

Return to “X4: Foundations”