Suggestion: Dynamic Events

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Crekkan
x4

Suggestion: Dynamic Events

Post by Crekkan » Mon, 13. Sep 21, 23:32

Apologies if this has been discussed before or even if it is in a known or secret roadmap, but I have an idea for the end of mid-game into the late game, particularly after the completion/near completion of the Terran, Split and Paranid storylines.

As the title says, creating and inserting dynamic events into the game will fulfil a part of the game that cannot be accomplished by NPC missions or general faction military actions alone. It'll help create another layer of engagement with the player or just the universe if the player wishes to step back and let the factions attempt to solve whatever the issue is. I'm partly inspired by the Kha'ak hive investigation 'event' in player-owned systems, as well as the way historic events in Paradox grand strategy games (or events in Stellaris) can change the flow and direction of the world, galaxy or, in this case, the X Universe.

I don't believe the impacts and changes these dynamic events cause should immediately drastically shift the in-game universe for the player in the same way as the main storylines, but them having the potential to do so if left unchecked or unresolved by the player and/or AI may be more appropriate and should help create a more living and breathing universe on top of what we already have. Using Dal and important characters from the storyline to interact with (plus some in-game news channels to send news updates in messages), even just to send a message to activate a mission chain if appropriate or a 'Situation Update', would keep these characters relevant long after a late game player has completed the storylines. Therefor, these events by default should only begin to trigger after 3 full in-game days, with an option in the menu to allow them to trigger whenever, or within a day, etc. This will keep the universe constantly evolving from a narrative perspective.

Below are some examples that I have thought of. Some are big in scope, some small. Some serious, some for a bit of a laugh and tongue in cheek (so have very little impact on the game, if at all).

1. Pirate conflict. Direct conflict between SCA, FRF, BUC, YAK, or HAT (HAT more independent than pirate of course) leads to two pirate fleets patrolling sectors to find the other. Adds an extra dimension to pirating. Maybe have one or two more pirate bases in the game so the factions can attempt to seize control of the station during a heightened period of pirate feuding.

2. Kha'ak hive evolving. The sighting of a classic Kha'ak Destroyer triggers the installation to contest the claim on the sector. This installation must not have been below 50% health for two full in-game days after spawning. Evokes the fear they created in X2 and X3. Factions create a joint taskforce? Or you? Or do you 'defend' it to revive the threat, intercepting the taskforce and normal AI response fleets?

3. The ring highway has been deactivated for maintenance for 'reasons'. It will be back online in a few mins to half an hour. Allow the player to trigger it with the ads being blown up after a day or two in-game. x)

4a. Highway construction project announced. A sector of significant economic activity and size begins a highway construction project to speed up travel through the sector. Another money and ware sink for the player/factions. Prone to pirate raids to slow down/disrupt/end development.

4b. Superhighway construction project announced. Preferably scripted to certain systems (i.e Argon Prime, Antigone Republic, Family Nhuut, Lasting Vengeance). An even larger money and ware sink, just as prone to pirate raids, attracts attention of other factions who build larger, smarter fleets to engage the construction site

5. System specific astronomical or planetary events that disrupt a faction (draining resources, crippling stations, negative modifiers), with a preference towards factions performing really well as to not cripple a struggling faction.

6a. Xenon 'terraforming' effort against occupied, populated planet. i.e. The Xenon clear out completely the Teladi from Ianamus Zura, and have established their usual chain of stations. To prevent the Xenon immediately steamrolling the surrounding sectors in the region, they began a massive and intense effort to build a station which would interact with the populated planet. Various stages of interaction can happen, with the long station construction followed by progressive damage to the planet, and even destruction. Think back to X2 and what happens if you don't do anything in the final mission...

6b. Planetary recovery effort following Xenon occupation. Relates to the prior event depending on how much damage is done to the populated planet. Can become an additional terraforming mission which you can co-operate with the faction to complete.

Hopefully these examples make sense as to what I'm trying to get at with this idea.

While I'm here, just gonna shill this mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations ... ption&BH=0 - I worked on the sector descriptions :p
Last edited by Crekkan on Tue, 14. Sep 21, 11:59, edited 1 time in total.

Y-llian
x4

Re: Suggestion: Dynamic Events

Post by Y-llian » Tue, 14. Sep 21, 02:01

There’s some fun ideas here. There is a mod that dynamically changes relations between factions to kick off wars between previous allies. But I think your focus here, is sensibly restrained to a more ‘random events’ type logic common in strategy games such as Galciv or Endless Space.

I’m more drawn to the ones that don’t need additional assets built like the highway needing maintenance or going down (great idea). As an aside, I’ve always wondered how the thing is powered but that’s another discussion.

The other one I like is astronomical events that might cause issues. Perhaps there’s a mass ejection which fries all the solar panels in a sector for a time until the flare subsides.

Like I said, some fun stuff!

A2G
x3

Post by A2G » Tue, 14. Sep 21, 02:28

My Current objective is create peace through emptiness. I will navigate the xenon through conquering the gate network bar the silent witness system which is mine. i shall then purge the Xenon with the final battle over earth, after which i shall be a witness to all the silence. Endgames are your own.

Whilst rethinking this i have had a moment of clarity, and an alteration, after the network is empty bar silent witness and the Xenon, i'll let the xenon wipe silent witness. Leaving only my fleet to purge the xenon from the netwrok, vis a vis Battlestar galactica. Much more difficult as losses won't be replaceable, but yes.
Our philosophy conquers our past and future problems. Our present problems conquer our philosophy.
Francois Duc de la Rochefoucauld

Crekkan
x4

Post by Crekkan » Tue, 14. Sep 21, 12:05

Y-llian wrote:
Tue, 14. Sep 21, 02:01
There’s some fun ideas here. There is a mod that dynamically changes relations between factions to kick off wars between previous allies. But I think your focus here, is sensibly restrained to a more ‘random events’ type logic common in strategy games such as Galciv or Endless Space.

I’m more drawn to the ones that don’t need additional assets built like the highway needing maintenance or going down (great idea). As an aside, I’ve always wondered how the thing is powered but that’s another discussion.

The other one I like is astronomical events that might cause issues. Perhaps there’s a mass ejection which fries all the solar panels in a sector for a time until the flare subsides.

Like I said, some fun stuff!
Thanks! With the astronomical events I was thinking of those BBS news stories in X2 and X3 about solar flares, wheat crop failures planet-side, etc. They shouldn't happen all the time of course, but those who play the game endlessly (got like, 1,500+ hours on X4 alone, never mind starting off with X2 in 2004/05 as a kid), it'll be something interesting to see every few in-game days or so.

I've always liked the concept of the highways, though in X Rebirth it was too extreme and limited the amount of systems in-game. Maybe in the next decade we can see the in-system scale of Rebirth mixed with the galactic scale of X4, we should have even more powerful computers by then X)

Return to “X4: Foundations”