Travel drive fuel

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

S!rAssassin

Re: Travel drive fuel

Post by S!rAssassin » Fri, 10. Sep 21, 21:30

Why Rebirth jump mechanics so bad? Why it’s wiped?

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Fri, 10. Sep 21, 22:10

S!rAssassin wrote:
Fri, 10. Sep 21, 21:30
Two problems actually:

1. There was a long queue at the Stations from ships to fill with jump fuel.

2. Since jumping was done in Jump Beacons and the ships had to stay for a cool down period before jumping again (if they were to travel to far systems) there was serious congestion around them. Personally I found (and boarded) 3 Taranis "glued" in one in one go...

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Fri, 10. Sep 21, 22:43

dtpsprt wrote:
Fri, 10. Sep 21, 22:10
S!rAssassin wrote:
Fri, 10. Sep 21, 21:30
Two problems actually:

2. Since jumping was done in Jump Beacons and the ships had to stay for a cool down period before jumping again (if they were to travel to far systems) there was serious congestion around them. Personally I found (and boarded) 3 Taranis "glued" in one in one go...
If every station ships docked in could double as a refueling station, that would solve problem #1

Ships waiting around jump beacons could receive an order to move a short distance from the jump beacon, solving problem #2.

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Fri, 10. Sep 21, 23:45

Falcrack wrote:
Fri, 10. Sep 21, 22:43
If every station ships docked in could double as a refueling station, that would solve problem #1

Ships waiting around jump beacons could receive an order to move a short distance from the jump beacon, solving problem #2.
I was just describing the refuelling and jump problems of X Rebirth. Of course they could be "worked out" if X Rebirth was to stay like the rest of the X games. It was stated to be a "testbed" for X4 and, seriously, many (if not all) of it's advantages have been left out...

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Sat, 11. Sep 21, 07:07

My impression of a travel drive fuel cost where ships can refuel at every station is that you would only even notice it when something went wrong with it (e.g. some AI failing at it and getting stranded). Basically it would worsen performance solely to be annoying. I also think it wouldn't be too hard in most cases to have your fighters just station hop across the universe. Unless travel drives were rebalanced to heavily favour large ships speed-wise that may still be a better option than a carrier.

XL ships jumping might have a bit more promise, though I am unsure how much it would add to the game. I guess if the AI were taught to use carriers better first then mobilizing them might be interesting. I don't see them make particularly good use of these ships in combat though and so getting them there quicker seems like a lower priority.
***modified***

S!rAssassin

Post by S!rAssassin » Sat, 11. Sep 21, 10:21

dtpsprt wrote:
Fri, 10. Sep 21, 22:10
Refueling with transport ships and auxiliary ships should be alternative to stations.

In current game, L/XL is bigger versions of S/M only! Without any advantages. They flying personally are similar and boring...

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Sat, 11. Sep 21, 10:40

As far as I am aware L and XL ships already have jump drives and they no longer need fuel in X4. If a jumpgate is too congested eventually the ships will jump to the other side.

S!rAssassin

Post by S!rAssassin » Sat, 11. Sep 21, 10:51

Imperial Good wrote:
Sat, 11. Sep 21, 10:40
As far as I am aware L and XL ships already have jump drives and they no longer need fuel in X4. If a jumpgate is too congested eventually the ships will jump to the other side.
Why they jumping only to the other side? Not to destination sector? Overall travel time of L/XL bigger then S/M. What’s a point of carriers?

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Sat, 11. Sep 21, 11:18

S!rAssassin wrote:
Sat, 11. Sep 21, 10:51
Not to destination sector?
So that they fly places rather than parking somewhere and just teleporting everywhere. From what I can tell this was done for gameplay purposes.
S!rAssassin wrote:
Overall travel time of L/XL bigger then S/M.
L and XL ships also are a lot stronger than S/M. And this statement is not entirely true as the Split L gas miner has the fastest travel speed of any ship, making it the fastest ship in X4.
S!rAssassin wrote:
What’s a point of carriers?
To repair S and M ships in a fleet. The Raptor is also the second most powerful ship in X4, only really out done by the Asguard and even then people can argue that either is better than the other.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Sat, 11. Sep 21, 11:30

S!rAssassin wrote:
Overall travel time of L/XL bigger then S/M. What’s a point of carriers?
Not for my fleet. My carrier & destroyers are all around 2x as fast as my fighters in travel mode. If I want my fighters to arrive at their destination at the same time as the rest of the fleet a carrier is pretty much essential.

Raylak

Post by Raylak » Sat, 11. Sep 21, 11:34

Imperial Good wrote:
Sat, 11. Sep 21, 11:18
To repair S and M ships in a fleet. The Raptor is also the second most powerful ship in X4, only really out done by the Asguard and even then people can argue that either is better than the other.
In what world does a raptor hold a candle to the Asgard?

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Sat, 11. Sep 21, 12:54

Raylak wrote:
Sat, 11. Sep 21, 11:34
Imperial Good wrote:
A Raptor with a full complement of fighters could massacre an Asgard.

Ragnos28
x4

Post by Ragnos28 » Sat, 11. Sep 21, 16:51

Raylak wrote:
Imperial Good wrote:
In this world: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCi16JVJtdA
or this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO0QMTJjbVU&t=1s

Raylak

Post by Raylak » Sat, 11. Sep 21, 19:57

So what you are saying is 100 S and 30 M ships could massacre an Asgard.

And what's stopping the Asgard having 100 S on intercept and 30 M on attack, combined with it's main beam?

And even if the 100 S and 30 M do manage to bring down the Asgard, I'm pretty sure it's main beam will shred the raptor beforehand, unless you outfitted every one of those ships to be dedicated capital killers.

Hell the Raptor launches it's fighters from it's nose, if it's a head on fight, the Asgard can open fire on the docks and take out a bunch of the fighters as they try to launch.

Ragnos28
x4

Post by Ragnos28 » Sat, 11. Sep 21, 20:13

Raylak wrote:
Sat, 11. Sep 21, 19:57

And what's stopping the Asgard having 100 S on intercept and 30 M on attack, combined with it's main beam?

And even if the 100 S and 30 M do manage to bring down the Asgard, I'm pretty sure it's main beam will shred the raptor beforehand, unless you outfitted every one of those ships to be dedicated capital killers.

Hell the Raptor launches it's fighters from it's nose, if it's a head on fight, the Asgard can open fire on the docks and take out a bunch of the fighters as they try to launch.
No..I'm saying that 100 S intercept will obliterate the Asgard. Hmm...actually you just give an idea for my next clip. Asgard have laughable AA defence..uhh beams..I'm so scared.
I don't give a crap about the main beam...1. did you see a Asgard under AI control?...is a joke 2. I will launch all wings when I am 25 km away

Ahh, I will be using a somewhat standard loadout 4 bolt + missile launcher, because if I use a blast mortar loadout I think a wing of 20 fighters will get the job done :gruebel:

Anyway, I will post the clip soon :)

PS: See what you make do? Now, an innocent Asgard will die as a result of your action :lol:

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Sat, 11. Sep 21, 22:38

Raylak wrote:
One where the Raptor is player flown and the Asguard is AI. Fly behind and then blow it up since most of the Asguard DPS is forwards. All the M flak turrets of the Raptor will strip the L turrets from the Asguard in no time.

Ragnos28
x4

Post by Ragnos28 » Sat, 11. Sep 21, 22:57

Raylak wrote:
Sat, 11. Sep 21, 19:57

Eeeeend...I'am back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0Z3zxfU8oY :D

Raylak

Post by Raylak » Sun, 12. Sep 21, 05:50

Imperial Good wrote:
Sat, 11. Sep 21, 22:38
Raylak wrote:
One where the Raptor is player flown and the Asguard is AI. Fly behind and then blow it up since most of the Asguard DPS is forwards. All the M flak turrets of the Raptor will strip the L turrets from the Asguard in no time.
If we are comparing ship power based on player vs AI, then you could kill everything reasonably easily with a single destroyer, possibly even a single M. I'd be curious to see if someone could down an Asgard with just an S but it's probably possible vs AI. Just sit behind the engine till it blows, then whittle it down. Would this mean that an S/M ship is more powerful than a BS?

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Sun, 12. Sep 21, 17:58

This thread is now apparently about Asgards vs Raptors. Interesting how topics drift over time!

Ragnos28
x4

Post by Ragnos28 » Sun, 12. Sep 21, 19:36

Falcrack wrote:
Sun, 12. Sep 21, 17:58
This thread is now apparently about Asgards vs Raptors. Interesting how topics drift over time!
Yeah...I am partially responsible for that...sorry :( I did start a separate topic tho :)

Return to “X4: Foundations”