Transaction logs

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

builder680
x4

Transaction logs

Post by builder680 » Tue, 7. Sep 21, 06:32

I figured out why the profits for example, an auto-trading ship, are listed as red by finding a reddit post where a dev explained that the red entries were the trader transferring his profits to you, the player. Which is fine but, it's needlessly confusing to even have such an entry, in my opinion. And such a ledger entry makes it so you can't see how much profit a trader has made over the course of several hours or days. Becuase it just balances out to zero. So why even have a "sum" field listed in the transaction log at all? My nividium auto-miners have sold a ton of nividium at 100% profit yet the transaction log reports their sum total earnings as zero. I don't think this serves any use, if we're going to have a sum field, it should show how much money the ship has made, ignoring transfers to the player. OF COURSE it's transferred to the player, I don't see the need for the red entries to exist at all.

Editing to add: I suppose I can see some usefullness for the red entries for stations, since they have their own accounts. Just not ships, they are part of my account for all intents and purposes.

Raevyan
x4

Re: Transaction logs

Post by Raevyan » Tue, 7. Sep 21, 22:13

Parts of the transaction log are totally useless because of that reason. People wanted to know how much profit an auto trader makes. This transaction log does not give us this information. Another problem is, that the sums in the transaction log only account for the entries for that single page. So we will never know the absolute totals unless we take a calculator ourselves and summing up alle pages manually. Pretty much useless for tracking profit of traders...

Y-llian
x4

Post by Y-llian » Wed, 8. Sep 21, 00:37

An aggregate function when looking at any particular transaction log would be great! Ideally, in a range we specify but that’s probably unlikely…

Part of the issue is that sales are listed as ‘trade profit’ in the description when it’s not - it’s simply a sale value which may/may not be profitable. Even just changing the descriptions to ‘buy order for xxx’ / ‘sales order for xxx’ would help with the confusion.

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Wed, 8. Sep 21, 01:13

builder680 wrote:
Tue, 7. Sep 21, 06:32
My nividium auto-miners have sold a ton of nividium at 100% profit yet the transaction log reports their sum total earnings as zero.
It's even worse than that I'm afraid. The fact that mined products don't cost anything is never taken into account to determine a "profitable sale". The profits are calculated based on the average price of the good(!!!). This has the implication that Mining Captains have little to none chance of progressing their skills because they get a "lottery ticket" to do so only on "profitable sales"... Same goes for Traders and for Fighter Pilots it's kills. Scout pilots get it when discovering Sectors, Wharfs, Shipyards, Equipment Docks and other Stations.

builder680
x4

Post by builder680 » Wed, 8. Sep 21, 01:25

well now that I'm more familiar with vanilla ill be using mods to address some things, so I'm not too worried about. Its just a silly way to log transactions. Like... someone smart enough to write code got paid to come up with this. Scratch my head sometimes. Where expenses are green, transactions that gain money are red, and everything goes to zero eventually. Whoever made it probably wrote it from the point of view of the pilot of the trade ship, but it is literally no use whatsoever.

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Wed, 8. Sep 21, 01:48

builder680 wrote:
Wed, 8. Sep 21, 01:25
well now that I'm more familiar with vanilla ill be using mods to address some things, so I'm not too worried about. Its just a silly way to log transactions. Like... someone smart enough to write code got paid to come up with this. Scratch my head sometimes. Where expenses are green, transactions that gain money are red, and everything goes to zero eventually. Whoever made it probably wrote it from the point of view of the pilot of the trade ship, but it is literally no use whatsoever.
A friend of mine which is one of the leading accountants in Greece (private sector, not the bankrupt Government) once told me: "Accounting is putting everything in order, then mixing it up in such a way that only you can make head or tails over it, therefore be eternally needed"

builder680
x4

Post by builder680 » Wed, 8. Sep 21, 04:15

Yeah I've seen some pretty arcane shit when it comes to that as well. Not really my cup of tea. But this is simple plus/minus, you have to actually go out of your way to screw up displaying that simply. And... apparently they did. Lol

zebai
x4

Post by zebai » Wed, 8. Sep 21, 08:23

I would love for these red transactions to go away for both ships and stations. The only negative I should see in any transaction book is in game is when a ship or station makes a purchase. Maybe a fake entry for player to player transactions just to keep the totals lining up vs goods produced.

When you mentioned mods I immediately looked for any that alters this part of the game and found nothing. Does anyone know of such a mod?

builder680
x4

Post by builder680 » Wed, 8. Sep 21, 08:43

I mentioned mods in response to the point about how pilots acquire skills, sorry I didn't make that clear. there are mods that make skills easier to level.

Regarding mods that address the red entries, I have no idea. I'll definitely be looking though.

zebai
x4

Post by zebai » Thu, 9. Sep 21, 17:42

Kuertee just released an analytics mod on nexus that I think will do this job very nicely based on the description. Going to test it today not sure if he read this post or was just coincidence but i'm looking forward to this mod.

Raylak

Post by Raylak » Thu, 9. Sep 21, 18:27

dtpsprt wrote:
Wed, 8. Sep 21, 01:13
builder680 wrote:
Tue, 7. Sep 21, 06:32
My nividium auto-miners have sold a ton of nividium at 100% profit yet the transaction log reports their sum total earnings as zero.
It's even worse than that I'm afraid. The fact that mined products don't cost anything is never taken into account to determine a "profitable sale". The profits are calculated based on the average price of the good(!!!). This has the implication that Mining Captains have little to none chance of progressing their skills because they get a "lottery ticket" to do so only on "profitable sales"... Same goes for Traders and for Fighter Pilots it's kills. Scout pilots get it when discovering Sectors, Wharfs, Shipyards, Equipment Docks and other Stations.
I haven't had a problem with my miners or station traders leveling up, I have 3 full pages of 5* captains on my mining and trade ships with hundreds more in the 3-4 star ranges.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 9. Sep 21, 19:56

To see the total profits, just enter 'trade sale' in the search bar at the top. 'Trade sale' is only in the green sales line so it removes the red lines completely. Then it will show the true profits at the bottom. It's a but of a kludge, but it works. :)
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

builder680
x4

Post by builder680 » Thu, 9. Sep 21, 20:37

Nanook wrote:
Thu, 9. Sep 21, 19:56
To see the total profits, just enter 'trade sale' in the search bar at the top. 'Trade sale' is only in the green sales line so it removes the red lines completely. Then it will show the true profits at the bottom. It's a but of a kludge, but it works. :)
The best solutions are the simple ones. I should have thought of this to be honest, thank you.

Raevyan
x4

Post by Raevyan » Fri, 10. Sep 21, 19:27

Nanook wrote:
Except it only sums up entries of one page. You‘d still have to manually sum up results of multiple pages.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 10. Sep 21, 19:33

Consider it an arithmetic challenge. :wink:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

kuertee
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by kuertee » Fri, 10. Sep 21, 19:45

*cough* a mod can show better analytics like bought from trader, sold to trader, number of trades, amount of trade, price of trade, amount / trade, price / trade, etc.
Mods: RPG: Reputations and Professions, Social Standings and Citizenships, Crime has Consequences, Alternatives to Death. Missions/NPCs: Emergent Missions, NPC Reactions, Mod Parts Trader, High-sec Rooms are Locked, Hacking Outcomes, More Generic Missions, Waypoint Fields for Deployment. Others: Auto-cam, Friendly Fire Tweaks, Teleport From Transporter Room, Wear and Tear. QoL: Trade Analytics, Loot Mining, Ship Scanner, Signal Leak Hunter, Station Scanner, Surface Element Targeting, etc.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Sat, 11. Sep 21, 18:41

Except we don't talk about those types of mods in this forum. We only discuss Boso Ta's mods here. :boron:

foxxbl
x4

Post by foxxbl » Sat, 11. Sep 21, 20:13

Nanook wrote:
I was just checking transaction logs to see how my automated traders are profitable, and I was confused with the interface and information given, especially sums were unusable until filter was applied.
Thanks a lot for this tip!

Return to “X4: Foundations”