X4 Station Design Contest (Voting Phase)

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Ezarkal
x4

Re: X4 Station Design Contest

Post by Ezarkal » Sun, 3. Oct 21, 15:11

TVCD wrote:
Sun, 3. Oct 21, 11:54
There was a short info in the German Forum. Currently, the five finalists are being determined. They should actually be determined by the end of this week. But no guarantee. I think next week at the latest there will be a result. :wink:
Thanks for the update!
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Mon, 4. Oct 21, 10:03

We are now ready, the 5 finalists have been chosen. But first I would like to thank all for partecipating. There are a lot of very good designs, which made it difficult to choose 5. It's great to see how creative the X community continues to be and what you can create with the station editor.

But now to the 5 finalists, which are (in alphabetical order)
  • errorname1002
  • GCU Grey Area
  • Repli
  • -=SiR KiLLaLoT=-
  • Vertiseas Seralman
You can watch the designs in the following video and below that the link to the poll which will end in a week.
:arrow: Video showcasing the 5 finalists

:arrow: Poll to vote

Good luck to the finalists and thanks again to everyone for taking part.

MFG

Ketraar

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 4. Oct 21, 11:19

I voted Vertiseas Seralman, cuz the other ones are just "lets slab everything together" monsters.

His design, is actually restrained and elegant, while still stylish.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Mon, 4. Oct 21, 12:44

The biggest winners are definitly the artists behind the Terran modules, seeing that they are solely used in most designs. :D

All of them are very interesting in their own way. Some have creative ideas, others were probably super hard to make. :) My respect goes to to all of them, but at the end I voted for the most beautiful one in my eyes. :)

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Mon, 4. Oct 21, 12:57

mr.WHO wrote:
Mon, 4. Oct 21, 11:19
I voted Vertiseas Seralman, cuz the other ones are just "lets slab everything together" monsters.
Dont think its fair tbh, all seam to have some thought behind it I find, none of the submitted designs had the feeling of "stuff slapped together" imho and all would have been "valid" options to get to the finals, but alas we had to choose 5. ;-)

MFG

Ketraar

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 4. Oct 21, 13:14

Ketraar wrote:
Mon, 4. Oct 21, 12:57
mr.WHO wrote:
Dont think its fair tbh, all seam to have some thought behind it I find, none of the submitted designs had the feeling of "stuff slapped together" imho and all would have been "valid" options to get to the finals, but alas we had to choose 5. ;-)

MFG

Ketraar
If it looks like it would murder the frame-rate of low-mid end PC, then it's monster.

However, on deeper analysis, I'd say errorname1002 station would actually be OK, of the habitatas would be rearange in a way the GCU Grey Area station does (stack on eachother to form a cylinder). This would make the station looks more like Spire/obelisk.

Still Vertiseas Seralman deserve phraise for having less than 100 modules, while other have like ~1000 modules monsters.

BTW will those designs be released to the public?

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Mon, 4. Oct 21, 13:33

You are obviously free to praise whoever you like, hence the poll, my point was that all have various degrees of interesting designs and one can put their preference as they like, but all have merit. ;-)
mr.WHO wrote:
Mon, 4. Oct 21, 13:14
BTW will those designs be released to the public?
That is for the creators to decide, we do have a Construction Community Forum where thy can share the plans and are free to link them here if they want to. I'm sure people actually flying around those stations themselves would be fun to experience.

MFG

Ketraar

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Mon, 4. Oct 21, 13:53

Here's mine, if anyone's interested in a closer look: viewtopic.php?f=195&t=442418

Tempest
x4

Post by Tempest » Mon, 4. Oct 21, 14:07

GCU Grey Area wrote:
Mon, 4. Oct 21, 13:53
Here's mine, if anyone's interested in a closer look: viewtopic.php?f=195&t=442418
pretty great stuff on here allround.

but i really like the XL-fab's tightly packed by those M-fab's for some reason
AMD 5800X|Gskill 4x8GB 3800C14 (MCLK:1800 for Coupled mode)|Gigabyte X570 Elite F37|TUF3080|Samsung NVME 980 Pro 250|ASUS PG279QE 2560x1440@144

Repli
x4

Post by Repli » Mon, 4. Oct 21, 15:25

Tempest wrote:
Mon, 4. Oct 21, 14:07
[...]
but i really like the XL-fab's tightly packed by those M-fab's for some reason
I used to build some stations with tightly packed wharfes, too, but unfortunately it is more difficult to do now with 4.1. In former game-versions it was possible to relocate whole sequences, and only the fitting part of the sequence had to be buildable (green). With this trick it was possible to ignore hitboxes of docks and wharfes and even build outside the construction box.
I am glad it is still possible somehow, at least between the two hitboxes at the end of each wharf :P

Anyway, the link to my attempt for further inspection if needed :)
viewtopic.php?f=195&t=442419

-=SiR KiLLaLoT=-
x4

Post by -=SiR KiLLaLoT=- » Mon, 4. Oct 21, 15:52

I honestly didn't think I was among the 5 finalists of this contest after seeing some creations... :oops:

What I can say about my station is that it was built without overlapping any module (not even one corner of the module touches other modules),
it is perfectly symmetrical on each side and the left part of the station is positioned "by eye", not being able to connect to nowhere in the primary Terran section.

In this screenshot it is possible to understand the symmetry well.

I remember that during the game, after at least 12-13 actual days of play, I had to disassemble all that left part, rebuilding about 50 modules because there were 10 pixels of difference between one side and the other that killed my eyes. I confirm myself that beauty is not its best side, but there is nothing to say about symmetry.

Maybe that's what convinced the devs :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

As soon as possible I will share the project.

In the meantime, I thank everyone who voted for me, my vote went to the Repli station, a truly brilliant design!! :o
HW Spec:
CPU: Core i9 9900k @ 5.0Ghz - MOBO: MSI Z390-A PRO - RAM: 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix MAX DDR4 4400Mhz CL19 - GPU: nVidia RTX 3070 FE - M.2: Samsung 980 512GB - SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB - Sandisk Plus 240GB – HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB – WD Caviar Blue 1TB – WD Caviar Black 2TB - PSU: Enermax Liberty 82+ PRO 620w - CASE: iTek Iron Soldier - MONITOR: 27” Acer ED270UP - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit - KEYBOARD: Logitech G11 – MOUSE: Red Dragon Perdition
My X4 Steam screenshots.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Mon, 4. Oct 21, 16:31

@SirKillalot
The symmetry definitely adds another perspective why your design is great. I personally like the middle station part over the asteroid. Makes me want to be able to travel along the modules of the station :)

I wanted to submit my own station design, but the editor likes to rotate modules sometimes, so I had to rebuild some sections over and over and over again so I gave up eventually. Lots of respect for all of you in that regard.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

MegaJohnny
x4

Post by MegaJohnny » Mon, 4. Oct 21, 18:42

I went for Vertiseas Seralman as well - love the distinctive shape (and the "biodome" looking module, can't remember what it is, but fits in really well with the Terrans' habitation modules!)

Valdei
x4

Post by Valdei » Mon, 4. Oct 21, 21:09

Ketraar wrote:
Fri, 13. Aug 21, 12:58

Voting
:arrow: Video showcasing the 5 finalists

:arrow: Poll to vote
Sorry but I think you should replace this voting service with something more adequate.
At least with something that "knows" the difference between freeVPNs and Subscription VPNs that people using 100% network time for security reasons.

Thoraxe
x4

Post by Thoraxe » Tue, 5. Oct 21, 00:14

mr.WHO wrote:
Mon, 13. Sep 21, 18:53
...and the last one.

"Triple trident" defense station - as the name suggest it consist 3 tridents, put at 3 different height levels for minimum firing angle obstruction:
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ ... rbox=false

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ ... rbox=false
Cool. Reminds me of the formation B-17's used to fly in WWII for maximum defensive targeting while on sorties. :D :thumb_up:

Ormac
x4

Post by Ormac » Tue, 5. Oct 21, 04:05

Ketraar wrote:
Mon, 4. Oct 21, 12:57
mr.WHO wrote:

MFG

Ketraar
Thanks for saying that Ketraar.
I relise my two entries didn't make the final cut.
Not showing the extent of the new abilities probably didn't help

Well done to the fellow entrants and of course the finalists.

Reticulan

Post by Reticulan » Tue, 5. Oct 21, 05:56

I voted -=SiR KiLLaLoT=-,
Simply because he was the only one who actually built a station.

*sips coffee*

rubahax4
x4

Post by rubahax4 » Tue, 5. Oct 21, 06:52

I voted -=SiR KiLLaLoT=-

На миг я оказался в теле Neo, в необъятном и непостижимом городе машин.

Translate
For a moment I found myself in the body of Neo, in an immense and incomprehensible city of cars.

Stealthfire74
x4

Post by Stealthfire74 » Tue, 5. Oct 21, 09:44

Return to “X4: Foundations”