4-Tier Terran Dock - Anyone Using It?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Zloth2
x4

4-Tier Terran Dock - Anyone Using It?

Post by Zloth2 » Sun, 25. Jul 21, 00:18

I was about to report a bug when my mining ship docked way above the Pioneer's shipyard, but it seems this is intended. There was a small, round hub above the 4M10S docking bay that was handling all the cargo drones while the ships just floated well above it! I guess its super small size is balanced by the fact that the cargo drones have to drive a long distance to do trades.

You can plop one right on top of a hexa-dock, too, then shove it up toward the top of your plot. That gives you ten large ship slots crowning your station!
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home
and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here! It's wondrous, with
treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross, but it's not for the
timid." ---- Q

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Re: 4-Tier Terran Dock - Anyone Using It?

Post by Tamina » Sun, 25. Jul 21, 00:57

I had no idea, it looks so boring in the preview but the way you explain it makes it sound really nice :D
Never used it. Went straight for the Hexa-Dock just for the looks. It manages 30L miners just fine. Should this ever become too overcrowded I will definitly consider your tip of placing the dock just on top :).

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sun, 25. Jul 21, 10:53

For it's small size, 4-tier dock block waaaaay to much space (approach paths).

It's way easier to pack more dock via hexa-dock or 3-tier E docks.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 25. Jul 21, 14:09

I would guess that the concept may have been that a relatively small station module to be used across differing Terran station designs could allow for easier docking for Terran capitals that could be significantly larger than their Commonwealth counterparts. It also fits well with the general style of hollow circles, concentric stacks, large towers and mini-domes for Terran modules.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Zloth2
x4

Post by Zloth2 » Sun, 25. Jul 21, 19:41

mr.WHO wrote:
Sun, 25. Jul 21, 10:53
Assuming you aren't abusing the system, the actual pier needs to be inside your volume. Approach paths don't. So you can pop one of these at the very top of the station volume and the approach paths will take up much less of the volume for your station.

You can stick an E-pier pointed outward at one of the edges, too, and make the approach paths almost entirely outside of your station volume. The E-piers are huge, though, and take a lot of space up themselves. So you've got to ask yourself if that space is more valuable or if the speedier trade exchange is more important. (And, naturally, which option looks cooler. ;)
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home
and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here! It's wondrous, with
treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross, but it's not for the
timid." ---- Q

Buzz2005
x4

Post by Buzz2005 » Sun, 25. Jul 21, 21:38

so its actually that way, I thought it was buged and not rendered properly when you build it :gruebel:
Fixed ships getting spawned away from ship configuration menu at resupply ships from automatically getting deployables.

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Mon, 26. Jul 21, 17:30

mr.WHO wrote:
Sun, 25. Jul 21, 10:53

It's way easier to pack more dock via hexa-dock or 3-tier E docks.
If its the one I'm thinking of. Unless they added something new in the beta.
Then its pretty space efficient because the approach path is literally right at the top, so it blocks nothing else unlike more traditional piers.
Pretty easy to just pop one right at the top of your build compared to other piers.
However, from my experience that despite having 4 docking connectors, it seems fairly inefficient. Or perhaps I just have too much logistics needs. I thought it was the latter until that other guy mentioned something about cargo drone flight times.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 26. Jul 21, 17:48

Raptor34 wrote:
Mon, 26. Jul 21, 17:30
Then its pretty space efficient because the approach path is literally right at the top, so it blocks nothing else unlike more traditional piers.
Not really - on the top, you can put only one dock with 4 approach paths (and they are often blocked by whatever module is below it) and that all.

Much more efficient solution is to stack E dock along one of plot borders and then stack them up and down - you can put several dozen of them (times 3 dock each) - you can never achive something like that with 4-tier dock:
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 080ABA745/

Return to “X4: Foundations”