I'm not talking to you.

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Falcrack
x4

I'm not talking to you.

Post by Falcrack » Fri, 23. Jul 21, 19:56

When we comm a hostile ship, we typically get this message, and then they abruptly cut off communications. But could we at least get the options to either apologize for attacking, or demanding they surrender? I don't care if we can't ask the way to the nearest shipyard, but it would be nice to at least get one word in edgewise before they cut us off.

Ezarkal
x4

Re: I'm not talking to you.

Post by Ezarkal » Fri, 23. Jul 21, 20:20

I fully agree.

NPC ships that hit you by accident will apologize to the player, so the player should get the option to do the same.

Also, were you ever able to use the "surrender" option? If you're not hostile, your target will laugh at you. If you're hostile, it refuses to hear you, even when it's pleading for his life. So what's the point of this option?
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Fri, 23. Jul 21, 20:29

Ezarkal wrote:
Fri, 23. Jul 21, 20:20
I fully agree.

NPC ships that hit you by accident will apologize to the player, so the player should get the option to do the same.

Also, were you ever able to use the "surrender" option? If you're not hostile, your target will laugh at you. If you're hostile, it refuses to hear you, even when it's pleading for his life. So what's the point of this option?
Actually, asking for surrender does have a very real effect. Try going to a battle between two parties which you are not hostile towards. Comm those S and M ships which are low on health and about to die. Most times they will laugh you off, but a significant amount of time they will bail the instant you ask them to surrender, leaving an unclaimed ship behind. I've gotten many fighters and M class ships this way, with no rep loss or even firing a shot myself.

So if I am fighting an enemy and am trying to get them to bail, I'd like the option to ask them to surrender to increase the odds that they will bail for me.

Alm888
x4

Post by Alm888 » Fri, 23. Jul 21, 20:34

Ezarkal wrote:
Fri, 23. Jul 21, 20:20
I fully agree.

Believe me, the "Surrender!" option has its use. Each time a player uses it the recipient must perform a "saving throw" against bailing. General rules are in effect, so in order for the threat to be effective: a) the recipient's must be heavily damaged (ideally, remaining hull strength shall be less than the attacker's current hull + shield) and b) the recipient's max hull shall be greater than attacker's (so, yeah, an XL-class "elephant" is more afraid of S-class "mouse" than its XL-class brethren). A player has only one attempt each minute or so. Also, one must wait ~15 seconds from last hit before Comm-ing the enemy for it to not cut the line immediately and actually be "Surrender!"-able. :)

Fun fact: if the target is not hostile it will not get angry at a player for the "threat", so one can continuously spam "Surrender!" onto friendly damaged ship until it fails a saving throw and bails.
Falcrack wrote:
Fri, 23. Jul 21, 20:29
Ninja'd :D

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Fri, 23. Jul 21, 20:39

I stand corrected.

Thanks for the tips, guys. I'll definitively play with this a bit more in the future.
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

adeine
x4

Post by adeine » Sat, 24. Jul 21, 01:02

Yeah, it does have an effect. The chance is fairly low though, so expect a number of minutes of constant "I'm not talking to you" spam and "I'd rather die" responses before you get lucky.

You'll also periodically have to ping the ship for a little damage, it seems when you haven't hit it in a while they almost always decline.

I wish there was a less ridiculous way to 'convince' pilots to bail.

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Sat, 24. Jul 21, 05:16

I really despise the 'Im not talking to you' because when im trying to capture a ship I obviously try to be as efficient as possible, this means triggering the bail script with a surrender comm as much as possible while shooting them. I Really, really wish that this was changed though because it gets VERY repetitive, VERY quickly. I wish if you are harassing a target with comms that after one or two 'Im not talking to you's you just hear a cut-off and static when you try to comm them again, and only when they are actually going to listen to you will they answer.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sat, 24. Jul 21, 13:43

Talk less. You could fly better. That is what they keep repeating, uninvited, after they clearly told that they won't talk. :gruebel:

Wing Commander had it better: taunt and fire; you get to hear "Time to Die!" just before they explode.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

oddible
x4

Post by oddible » Mon, 26. Jul 21, 05:03

There is a mod for apology.

Berserk Knight
x4

Post by Berserk Knight » Mon, 26. Jul 21, 05:38

Axeface wrote:
Sat, 24. Jul 21, 05:16
I really despise the 'Im not talking to you' because when im trying to capture a ship I obviously try to be as efficient as possible, this means triggering the bail script with a surrender comm as much as possible while shooting them. I Really, really wish that this was changed though because it gets VERY repetitive, VERY quickly. I wish if you are harassing a target with comms that after one or two 'Im not talking to you's you just hear a cut-off and static when you try to comm them again, and only when they are actually going to listen to you will they answer.
The bail trigger only has one cooldown, and is shared by both the "surrender" comm option and the "hitting them with a bullet" trigger.

Unless the 30 second cooldown and the lull in the firefight align just right, your bullets will be putting the bail trigger back on cooldown right as it comes out.

As Falcrack and Alm888 already stated, the only real case this is worth anything is if none of your stuff is shooting at the ship in question.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 26. Jul 21, 07:57

Alm888 wrote:
Fri, 23. Jul 21, 20:34
the recipient's max hull shall be greater than attacker's (so, yeah, an XL-class "elephant" is more afraid of S-class "mouse" than its XL-class brethren). A player has only one attempt each minute or so.
That on is bizzare to me.

First it's should rather be other way around - the bigger the attacker, the more likely they should bail.
Second, this shouldn't be a requirement, but a factor (increase the chance) - otherwise, good luck trying to bail fighters in your corvette.

Berserk Knight
x4

Post by Berserk Knight » Mon, 26. Jul 21, 13:32

mr.WHO wrote:
Mon, 26. Jul 21, 07:57
That on is bizzare to me.

First it's should rather be other way around - the bigger the attacker, the more likely they should bail.
Second, this shouldn't be a requirement, but a factor (increase the chance) - otherwise, good luck trying to bail fighters in your corvette.
Or...a BATTLESHIP?
Asgard : Surrender or die!
Enemy : Ha! No. Your pathetic ship doesn't scare me.

Kopis (Terran S mining ship. 1 gun, 1000 max hull.) : Surr...
Enemy (potentially an Asgard) : PLEASE SPARE MY LIFE OH FEARSOME ONE!
From my bug report to demonstrate just how silly the current calculation is.

Also, there are 3 factors. Enemy's skill, max hull ratios, and current hull+shield percentage ratios.
Aside from the pilot's skill, each factor is CAPPED to a 1.0 multiplier before being multiplied with others. Thus, each factor can only ever decrease the chances, not increase them. Which isn't too big of a problem, since the skill part gives you a range of 21~46% chance to bail (on a cooldown of 30 seconds), so it's actually quite high.
Although, if the max hull ratio is reversed, fighters will have close to 0% chance of capturing capitals (since it's cast to an integer, anything that goes below 1% actually does become 0%), so I suggested that they multiply both factors together BEFORE capping it to a 1.0 multiplier.

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Mon, 26. Jul 21, 14:00

Berserk Knight wrote:
Mon, 26. Jul 21, 05:38
Axeface wrote:
Sat, 24. Jul 21, 05:16
The bail trigger only has one cooldown, and is shared by both the "surrender" comm option and the "hitting them with a bullet" trigger.

Unless the 30 second cooldown and the lull in the firefight align just right, your bullets will be putting the bail trigger back on cooldown right as it comes out.

As Falcrack and Alm888 already stated, the only real case this is worth anything is if none of your stuff is shooting at the ship in question.
Thats good to know, but Im not starting a stopwatch everytime I start to shoot a ship or comm for surrender. Ide rather use the surrender option of course because shooting the target isnt idea other than getting the shields down (and minimal hull damage), and sometimes your weapons do more damage than you want. This also gets compounded when there are multiple ships involved, sometimes i'll be fighting a pack of SCA ships for example and want them all to bail, so I constantly change target and comm for surrender, its kind of chaotic, so I'de still appreciate it a LOT if a change was made to the logic to make them just not talk to us (click *static*) rather than constantly telling us that they wont.

Alm888
x4

Post by Alm888 » Mon, 26. Jul 21, 14:15

mr.WHO wrote:
Mon, 26. Jul 21, 07:57
If that would be the case any battle of a player's Raptor with anything would quickly litter the battlefield with unclaimed fighters and lots of escape pods of pilots with shat pants.

I believe the reasoning is that if one manages to bring an Asgard down to its "knees" (remember, the victim's current HP must be lower than the attacker's!) using only Kopis, then this pilot is truly fearsome foe and there is no harm to reputation in surrendering to such a mighty adversary.

And if a pilot's fighter is being torn apart by countless Raptor's turrets, then one must have at least some dignity to do down with a raised head. Outgunned, yes, but not outwitted!

So yes, a Pulsar (1900HP) is one of the nastiest ships. I'm sorry, corevette-lovers, but currently it is just that. S>M
Maybe introduction of destructive final blasts will change the balance and make M-class more viable in combat (by nerfing S-class).

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 26. Jul 21, 17:19

Alm888 wrote:
Mon, 26. Jul 21, 14:15
I believe the reasoning is that if one manages to bring an Asgard down to its "knees" (remember, the victim's current HP must be lower than the attacker's!) using only Kopis, then this pilot is truly fearsome foe and there is no harm to reputation in surrendering to such a mighty adversary.
That's not even possible, because only S/M ahips bail.

Raevyan
x4

Post by Raevyan » Mon, 26. Jul 21, 17:36

mr.WHO wrote:
Mon, 26. Jul 21, 17:19
Alm888 wrote:
Mon, 26. Jul 21, 14:15
That's not even possible, because only S/M ahips bail.
Doesn‘t this also apply to L and XL ships for crew to bail? The only difference is, that the captain will stay no matter what, but all the crew will eventually bail.

Alm888
x4

Post by Alm888 » Mon, 26. Jul 21, 17:49

Yes, I've meant the crew. A captain will go down with his/her/its ship no matter what. :)

Return to “X4: Foundations”