Serious Attempt to get into X4 as a Totally Blind Player

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

oasis1701
x4

Re: Serious Attempt to get into X4 as a Totally Blind Player

Post by oasis1701 » Thu, 2. Sep 21, 15:33

thank you CBJ; Is the mouse required to change/add them?

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 2. Sep 21, 15:35

No. You should be able to do it entirely with the keyboard, assuming it's keyboard keys you're trying to bind. :)

oasis1701
x4

Post by oasis1701 » Thu, 2. Sep 21, 19:02

kuertee the new nav computer is very awesome. i've done two missions so far, destroy enemy traffic and repair leaks.
My third mission however had some sort of issue, i don't know if it's the mod's bug or the game
IT's a fast flight transport mission, i got it from a signal leak. when I accepted it, my mission target is set to a large ship maintenance bay. I can't dock with it, or fly inside is using the spacesuit, so I'm not sure where this npc is hiding. i tried the equipment dock, the nearest station to the bay, but she wasn't there as well.

oasis1701
x4

Post by oasis1701 » Thu, 2. Sep 21, 20:38

Some more feedback:
Do you think you could bring back the "turn to face object" in the interaction menu?

With it being gone, now it's very hard to turn towards the asteroid to shoot at it, or turn towards any target to fire at them.
edit: by targets i mean the ones that are small like asteroids, or the ones we can cycle through with the targetting system.

kuertee
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by kuertee » Thu, 2. Sep 21, 23:21

I've updated the mod. I've not been able to test the protection from destruction feature because my other mod, Alternatives To Death, was active. And it ran through its death process - preventing Accessibility Features from running its protection from destruction code. So let me know your experiences with it.

Accessibility features (https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/mods/748)
by kuertee

Updates:
========
v1.0.7, 3 Sep 2021:
- New feature: Let your AI pilot take the ship's controls. Take the ship's controls from your AI pilot.
- New feature: Your AI pilot will obey your autopilot, dock and undock commands.
- New feature: You can order your AI pilot to attack any objects in space.
- New feature: Your current ship is protected from destruction. If it's hull is damaged to 1%, it will be teleported (i.e. respawned) at the last station it docked.
- New feature: The NPC's faction allegiance and title and/or occupation are now listed with their name.
- New feature: The faction owner of the sector is now listed.
- New feature: Object hull percentage is listed.
- Returned feature: Target And Turn To Face X on the Interact Menu.
- Bug-fix: The autopilot to sectors now send you to the nearest friendly station in the sector's center. This prevents the ship from getting stuck on superhighways.
- Bug-fix: The correct NPC data is now shown when you talk to an NPC.

oasis1701 wrote:
Thu, 2. Sep 21, 19:02
...IT's a fast flight transport mission, i got it from a signal leak. when I accepted it, my mission target is set to a large ship maintenance bay. I can't dock with it, or fly inside is using the spacesuit, so I'm not sure where this npc is hiding. i tried the equipment dock, the nearest station to the bay, but she wasn't there as well....
Its easy to lose the actual mission target because setting any object as the autopilot target will set that as the mission target.

BUT the objects listed in the Mission Targets group in the Points Of Interests List are always the actual mission targets. When navigating the galaxy for mission completions, always use the objects in this list.

To get the mission targets list, re-activate the mission from the Ongoing Missions list.

EDIT: also, your docking target may not have the correct docking bay size for your ship. It's best to always use a small-sized ship for taxi missions. Transferring the passenger between ships is a bit problematic. I don't know if Egosoft has allowed that. In older versions of the game, it was impossible to transfer passengers.

EDIT 2: Or take taxi missions only to other stations.

EDIT 3: I've re-read your previous post properly and realise that you've not even spoken to the passenger yet. Reactivate the mission. And the NPC will be listed in the Points Of Interests > Mission Targets list. Talk to them, select your ship, then wait for them to board your ship. They'll let you know when this happens. You can then board your ship and taxi them to their destination.
Mods: RPG: Reputations and Professions, Social Standings and Citizenships, Crime has Consequences, Alternatives to Death. Missions/NPCs: Emergent Missions, NPC Reactions, Mod Parts Trader, High-sec Rooms are Locked, Hacking Outcomes, More Generic Missions, Waypoint Fields for Deployment. Others: Auto-cam, Friendly Fire Tweaks, Teleport From Transporter Room, Wear and Tear. QoL: Trade Analytics, Loot Mining, Ship Scanner, Signal Leak Hunter, Station Scanner, Surface Element Targeting, etc.

oasis1701
x4

Post by oasis1701 » Thu, 2. Sep 21, 23:53

kuertee thank you so much, the game is suddenly a lot more playable now and we're going around and getting credits and reputation!

re: the bug i found. I saved the game, re loaded into the game, set the mission to active again, and this time the target mission showed me argon equipment dock, however, IT was very odd, as the mission target took me a little bit (5 KM) away from the station itself. when i wanted to dock though, it wouldn't let me. I then turned around, used the navigation computer to go to the station and docked in, but the npc wasn't there.
This might just be a bug, i'll try to pick another transport mission from the signal leaks. I had the fighter ship that young gun start has.

CaplinCaplin
x3ap

Post by CaplinCaplin » Fri, 3. Sep 21, 01:11

Hi there,

I've tried the new version of the mod and run into a few issues. First of all, when ordering a pilot to do something, the ship just seems to sit there. I'm aware that there is a command to "start executing orders," or something similar, in the ship info screen, and suspect this might not be triggering properly.

Second, for some reason, clicking on options seems a lot less reliable in this version of the mod. Often I'll click on something like autopilot to X only to have nothing happen. Most of the time I can use arrow keys to select the option with the keyboard, but it isn't 100% reliable. Note that I ran into this with the previous version but it seems a little more frequent now. I've mentioned this problem before, but it seems much more noticeable lately for some reason.

Other than that, things continue to work quite well. I did not yet get the chance to test the death alternative, but will let you know when I do. Thanks as always for all the work won this.

kuertee
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by kuertee » Fri, 3. Sep 21, 07:37

oasis1701 wrote:
Thu, 2. Sep 21, 23:53
...re: the bug i found. I saved the game, re loaded into the game, set the mission to active again, and this time the target mission showed me argon equipment dock, however, IT was very odd, as the mission target took me a little bit (5 KM) away from the station itself. when i wanted to dock though, it wouldn't let me. I then turned around, used the navigation computer to go to the station and docked in, but the npc wasn't there. This might just be a bug, i'll try to pick another transport mission from the signal leaks. I had the fighter ship that young gun start has....
yeah, that's weird. i didn't test taxi missions from signal leaks - expecting them to work the same as normal missions. i.e. npc is at the station, you speak to the npc, the npc walks to your ship, then you taxi them to their destination.

can you check it with an offered taxi mission? these missions are offered anywhere in the sector, so you'll need to go to the station the NPC is at. unlike taxi missions from signal leaks. the npc of taxi missions from signal leaks are at the station the signal leak is at - which is by the way, how that bugged mission is, as your previous message reads. the "large ship maintenance bay" may actually be the station's dock. if you had re-entered your ship from spacewalking, you may have been able to dock with it - being connected to the (nearest) station. which your post just now sounds like the equipment dock.

CaplinCaplin wrote:
Fri, 3. Sep 21, 01:11
...I've tried the new version of the mod and run into a few issues. First of all, when ordering a pilot to do something, the ship just seems to sit there. I'm aware that there is a command to "start executing orders," or something similar, in the ship info screen, and suspect this might not be triggering properly...Second, for some reason, clicking on options seems a lot less reliable in this version of the mod. Often I'll click on something like autopilot to X only to have nothing happen. Most of the time I can use arrow keys to select the option with the keyboard, but it isn't 100% reliable. Note that I ran into this with the previous version but it seems a little more frequent now. I've mentioned this problem before, but it seems much more noticeable lately for some reason. ...
Hi, it sounds like the NPC has not taken the controls yet. It takes a few seconds for the NPC to walk from hi internal berth to the control seat. Can you check this, please? In the next version, I'll add a check on that.

If the ship is unresponsive after selecting an action, either:
1. the npc may not yet be in control of the ship, and so the ship does nothing.
2. the mod failed to unpause the game. the environment sounds should be a clue. if you can hear them, the game is NOT paused. if paused, unpause by pressing ESC until you hear the environment sounds again.

can you check if this unresponsiveness is still occurring while you're the pilot of the ship?
Mods: RPG: Reputations and Professions, Social Standings and Citizenships, Crime has Consequences, Alternatives to Death. Missions/NPCs: Emergent Missions, NPC Reactions, Mod Parts Trader, High-sec Rooms are Locked, Hacking Outcomes, More Generic Missions, Waypoint Fields for Deployment. Others: Auto-cam, Friendly Fire Tweaks, Teleport From Transporter Room, Wear and Tear. QoL: Trade Analytics, Loot Mining, Ship Scanner, Signal Leak Hunter, Station Scanner, Surface Element Targeting, etc.

oasis1701
x4

Post by oasis1701 » Fri, 3. Sep 21, 13:16

@kuertee
I also have the same UI issue with the latest update.
I was trying to click on the "auto pilot to turret factory" in the action list but it wouldn't work. Not sure if the mod is refusing to do it or there's some sort of UI issue. would you like a video just in case?

kuertee
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by kuertee » Fri, 3. Sep 21, 13:30

oasis1701 wrote:
Fri, 3. Sep 21, 13:16
@kuertee
I was trying to click on the "auto pilot to turret factory" in the action list but it wouldn't work. Not sure if the mod is refusing to do it or there's some sort of UI issue. would you like a video just in case?
yes, please.

oasis1701
x4

Post by oasis1701 » Fri, 3. Sep 21, 14:02

kuertee wrote:
Fri, 3. Sep 21, 13:30
oasis1701 wrote:
Fri, 3. Sep 21, 13:16
@kuertee
yes, please.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hkqjnep4dh2mr ... 4.mp4?dl=0

edit: I have no AI pilot in my ship at the moment. thought it's worth to mention

kuertee
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by kuertee » Fri, 3. Sep 21, 14:16

yup, the mod is bugging out.
after clicking on an action, the nav computer window should close. but it doesn't in your video - at about the half-way mark.

oasis1701
x4

Post by oasis1701 » Fri, 3. Sep 21, 16:52

@kuertee
do you know if there's a way for us to share the hotkeys we created in your mod with friends? the process of adding a hotkey is a bit difficult -- A friend of mine has bought the game and is joining us, I wanted to share a file so he doesn't have to add it himself.

CaplinCaplin
x3ap

Post by CaplinCaplin » Fri, 3. Sep 21, 19:25

oasis1701 wrote:
Fri, 3. Sep 21, 16:52
@kuertee
do you know if there's a way for us to share the hotkeys we created in your mod with friends? the process of adding a hotkey is a bit difficult -- A friend of mine has bought the game and is joining us, I wanted to share a file so he doesn't have to add it himself.
Hey,

I was looking at the mod earlier and it looks like it's possible to have it define its own hotkey, so that we don't have to go through the trouble of doing so ourselves. I saw that section of the code was commented out, however. I'm not sure if there was a reason for that beyond letting us find a key that works for our keyboard layout.

I set mine to backslash, which works for U.S. keyboards, and that is defined in a file called uidata.xml, which has a bunch of other stuff in it. I don't know how well copying that file would work, though I guess we could just copy out that section. Still, it's not an ideal solution.

It would be nice if the nav computer's hotkeys were defined in the same XML file as all the game's standard inputs, but I don't know if that's possible. THat's a lot more human-readable than the UIData stuff.

kuertee
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by kuertee » Fri, 3. Sep 21, 19:39

I've updated the mod. the previous update WAS broken. the bug was caused by a change i made to the code AFTER i test-played it. LOL
anyway, I checked all the commands (for both player and ai pilot) in this version to ensure that they were working.

Accessibility features
https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/mods/748
by kuertee

Updates:
========
v1.0.8, 4 Sep 2021:
- Bug-fix: Autopilot was broken.
- Bug-fix: Asteroid fields weren't getting listed.
- Bug-fix: Player and AI pilot commands were getting mixed up in the internal code.

CaplinCaplin wrote:
Fri, 3. Sep 21, 19:25
oasis1701 wrote:
Fri, 3. Sep 21, 16:52
@kuertee do you know if there's a way for us to share the hotkeys we created in your mod with friends? the process of adding a hotkey is a bit difficult -- A friend of mine has bought the game and is joining us, I wanted to share a file so he doesn't have to add it himself.
Hey,...I was looking at the mod earlier and it looks like it's possible to have it define its own hotkey, so that we don't have to go through the trouble of doing so ourselves. I saw that section of the code was commented out, however. I'm not sure if there was a reason for that beyond letting us find a key that works for our keyboard layout....I set mine to backslash, which works for U.S. keyboards, and that is defined in a file called uidata.xml, which has a bunch of other stuff in it. I don't know how well copying that file would work, though I guess we could just copy out that section. Still, it's not an ideal solution....It would be nice if the nav computer's hotkeys were defined in the same XML file as all the game's standard inputs, but I don't know if that's possible. THat's a lot more human-readable than the UIData stuff.
I commented it out because if the hotkey is set at the mod, it can't be changed in the options screen.
that's what i found anyway. i'll send SirNukes (the developer of Mod Suppor APIs which includes the hotkey features) a message and see if i'm doing something wrong with assigning they key.

oasis1701
x4

Post by oasis1701 » Fri, 3. Sep 21, 20:45

@kuertee when entering an asteroid field, will the nav computer show asteroids that have items in them? such as crystals and other things that we can sell? I've found different types of ore so far

kuertee
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by kuertee » Fri, 3. Sep 21, 21:10

oasis1701 wrote:
Fri, 3. Sep 21, 20:45
@kuertee when entering an asteroid field, will the nav computer show asteroids that have items in them? such as crystals and other things that we can sell? I've found different types of ore so far
yeah, i'll need to learn how to search for those special extras on asteroids.
at the moment the nav com only looks for raw minerals on asteroids.
they may have crystals on them - but i the nav computer can't target them.

oasis1701
x4

Post by oasis1701 » Fri, 3. Sep 21, 21:46

Thanks, so i will not look for them.
I installed a mod called fly by looting, It automatically opens lockboxes when you fly near them, so i could scavenge items from boxes when i fly around. I however have found some containers that i am unable to collect with the O key. (IT was dropped by a transport ship when i destroyed it) Might be big containers but not sure how i can interact with them. perhaps a suggestion for the future for the accessibility mod.

CaplinCaplin
x3ap

Post by CaplinCaplin » Sat, 4. Sep 21, 05:27

Hey,

Just a quick note to say that death is still happening, as far as I can tell. I get blown up in my Discoverer and am brought back to the title screen as usual.

Also, I can second what Oasis1701 says about the weirdness of the OCR. Sometimes options that should be there just aren't picked up. It's weirdly inconsistent and I wish I knew what to suggest. I was trying to attack a particular ship but the attack option just didn't show up on the scans for some reason.

Over all though, just happy the basic mod stuff is working again.

oasis1701
x4

Post by oasis1701 » Sat, 4. Sep 21, 13:53

I think i may have found a bug with the mod. It won't auto pilot to unknown jump gates (or highways?) I can't tell because they are unknown.
What's also interesting is that if i target the unknown object and then press shift+a, my ship will very very slowly move towards it, without engaging travel mode.
video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jcbqsn6dbvq6j ... 3.mp4?dl=0

second video, trying it in a different system: https://www.dropbox.com/s/njd8rqhb90mfu ... 0.mp4?dl=0
I think the game doesn't like when we want to auto pilot to unknown jumpgate/highways?
edit: both nav computer AP and in game AP works with known jump gates, known objects, and unknown stations.
However it's the unknown sectors/jumpgates that's having this problem

Return to “X4: Foundations”