Marines vs Service Crew - ship performance?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mr.WHO
x4

Marines vs Service Crew - ship performance?

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 19. Jul 21, 22:05

By default when you but ship at shipyard the game set 50:50 between Service Crew and Marines.

Does this impact the ship performance?
Is ship with 50% Marines less effective than same ship with 100% service crew?

spankahontis
x4

Re: Marines vs Service Crew - ship performance?

Post by spankahontis » Mon, 19. Jul 21, 23:12

mr.WHO wrote:
Mon, 19. Jul 21, 22:05
By default when you but ship at shipyard the game set 50:50 between Service Crew and Marines.

Couldn't Marines just gradually, given time.. Develop better engineering skills like Service Crew?

If that is the case? Why have service crew? When you can have Marines doing all their work for them? And they'd be hard to board; that is.. If the next DLC is adding boarding mechanics to NPC ships?
Ragna-Tech.. Forging a Better Tomorrow!

My most annoying Bugs list 6.0 Beta 4 + [All DLC]
--------------------------------
Nvidium Worshop Animation Enlarge Broken :(
Building Modules causes low frame rate :o
Massive Framerate drops freezing game! :doh:
Save Corrupted Fixed the Crash! :-D

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Mon, 19. Jul 21, 23:45

mr.WHO wrote:
You mean: is ship with half Service Crew less effective than ship with full Service Crew?
But also: How does Merc S with full (14) crew fare compared to Merc V with 14 crew and to Merc V with full (17) crew?

The defense strength of Service Crew against boarding is next to nothing. Are they nothing because they are in engineering duty today, or because crew in that duty rarely have boarding skill?

Same the other way: do the Marines just sleep, even though they were born with 5 star engineering skillz?
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Mon, 19. Jul 21, 23:57

mr.WHO wrote:
Yes it impacts ship performance. Ships perform optimally only with a 5 star captain and full 5 star service crew. If half the crew are marines then at most the service crew can contribute half the optimal value, once 5 star. The player also does not need marines at the moment as the NPCs will never attempt to board them, with marines only being useful for boarding NPCs.
mr.WHO wrote:
A ship with 100% service crew will be more effective, assuming they are above 0 star which are worth nothing.
spankahontis wrote:
Mon, 19. Jul 21, 23:12
Couldn't Marines just gradually, given time.. Develop better engineering skills like Service Crew?
Yes, if you assign them as service crew they will. Nothing stops you changing service crew to marines just for boarding operations, and then changing them back afterwards. Your ships will never be boarded currently, so there is no need to have them as marines to protect from boarding operations like the NPCs uses them to protect from player boarding operations.
spankahontis wrote:
Mon, 19. Jul 21, 23:12
If that is the case? Why have service crew? When you can have Marines doing all their work for them? And they'd be hard to board; that is.. If the next DLC is adding boarding mechanics to NPC ships?
I have argued in the past that the separation should be removed. Service crew and marines should be the same since practically they are at the moment. The UI even automatically chooses the best marines and service crew when changing their assigned role, which is done in bulk. This process should be automatic. It would help nerf player boarding NPCs a little (most will not notice) while making crewing player ships a lot more intuitive to new players.
jlehtone wrote:
Mon, 19. Jul 21, 23:45
The defense strength of Service Crew against boarding is next to nothing. Are they nothing because they are in engineering duty today, or because crew in that duty rarely have boarding skill?
Service crew have a penalty for defence against boarding operations. Most will not even partake in the battle, and instead will just die once the marines and service crew that did partake lose. Only applies to NPCs as player cannot be boarded...

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Tue, 20. Jul 21, 18:05

I have done some extensive testing and will post the results when I have time to compile it, but basically converting all service crew to Marines is the same as if you had no service crew at all on the ship. They have to be assigned as service crew to provide a benefit to mining.

alessandrofavero
x4

Post by alessandrofavero » Tue, 20. Jul 21, 19:57

Imperial Good wrote:
Mon, 19. Jul 21, 23:57
Only applies to NPCs as player cannot be boarded...

For now ... I don't understand English well but it seems to me that I understand that the next DLC is about pirates ... and who knows that the NPCs cannot board the other NPC ships and also those of the players (maybe ... . like the idea)
Ci sono 10 tipi di persone, chi capisce il codice binario e chi non lo capisce!!!
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz (12 CPUs), ~3.2GHz, 32 Gb RAM, MB ASUS TUF, NVIDIA Originale GeForce RTX 3070TI, Dedicated Memory: 8Gb

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Tue, 20. Jul 21, 20:57

Only thing I would miss is Marines look awesome in their Marine Armour.
Getting rid of them would be a shame.
Ragna-Tech.. Forging a Better Tomorrow!

My most annoying Bugs list 6.0 Beta 4 + [All DLC]
--------------------------------
Nvidium Worshop Animation Enlarge Broken :(
Building Modules causes low frame rate :o
Massive Framerate drops freezing game! :doh:
Save Corrupted Fixed the Crash! :-D

oddible
x4

Post by oddible » Tue, 10. Aug 21, 07:32

Falcrack wrote:
Tue, 20. Jul 21, 18:05
I have done some extensive testing and will post the results when I have time to compile it, but basically converting all service crew to Marines is the same as if you had no service crew at all on the ship. They have to be assigned as service crew to provide a benefit to mining.
Any results?

surferx
x4

Post by surferx » Tue, 10. Aug 21, 15:40

alessandrofavero wrote:
Tue, 20. Jul 21, 19:57
Imperial Good wrote:
Mon, 19. Jul 21, 23:57
Only applies to NPCs as player cannot be boarded...

For now ... I don't understand English well but it seems to me that I understand that the next DLC is about pirates ... and who knows that the NPCs cannot board the other NPC ships and also those of the players (maybe ... . like the idea)
You understand that correctly.
And if the next DLC brings NPC boarding I will have to recrew most of my ships. When I buy ships I trade out the marines with more service crew. Most of my freighter/miners have no marines onboard.
That being said, I would love to see NPC boarding introduced to X4. Currently it makes no sense that player ships are the only ones that hijack other ships.
If you want to go fast, go alone.
If you want to go far, go together.

Operating System:
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit CPU: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KF RAM: 32606 MBytes MBO: Gigabyte Z790 UD AC (U3E1) GPU: ZOTAC GEFORCE RTX 4080 Trinity OC NVIDIA 16 GB GDDR6 SSD: AJP600M2TB 1907 GB

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Tue, 10. Aug 21, 15:52

oddible wrote:
Tue, 10. Aug 21, 07:32
Falcrack wrote:
Tue, 20. Jul 21, 18:05
Any results?
Yes, but since it was almost completely ignored at the time I posted the results, I won't be bothering with further tests!

viewtopic.php?t=440879

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Tue, 10. Aug 21, 15:57

In my opinion, the way it should work is that when a ship is being boarded, any crewresent, regardless of their assignment as service crew or marines, should function as marines in the defense of the ship based on their boarding skill level. And any marines on the ship, when not being boarded, should function as service crew based on their engineering skill level. The only reason you would assign crew as marines is to make it easier to choose which crew are available to be sent out for boarding operations.

Return to “X4: Foundations”