[Feature request] Ship mod that increases cargo space

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

LandogarX4
x4

[Feature request] Ship mod that increases cargo space

Post by LandogarX4 » Mon, 19. Jul 21, 17:33

A recurrent request by players is for XL-sized superfreighters. Anyone who does Terraforming projects will understand why.

But of course, such new ships would take development time away from other urgent issues. In addition, there could be balancing issues since it will become too easy to haul large amounts of freight.

So here is an alternative that might work: Add a ship modification that increases cargo space. The basic mod would add 10%, the advanced one +30% (with also a downside attached), and the exceptional one +50%. Given how scarce exceptional ship mods are, (and given the opportunity cost of not being able to reduce ship mass), this would not be spammable and hence there would not be a balancing issue. On the other hand, this would enable players to have a small number of superfreighters and make terraforming projects less of a clickfest.

It would also take very little development time, I dare presume. So this change would add great benefit, at a little cost. Hoping that CBJ sees this and gives his thumbs up or thumbs down :)

Axeface
x4

Re: [Feature request] Ship mod that increases cargo space

Post by Axeface » Mon, 19. Jul 21, 17:35

I would really like this and I think its been requested a few times (by myself as well).

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 19. Jul 21, 18:02

It's not a bad idea, but not quite as easy to implement as you might think. Cargo capacity isn't determined by the ship itself, it's determined by it's storage module, and there are various bits of code, potentially including important optimisations, that rely on that not changing. Being able to switch mods at any point could mess things up in all kinds of ways, especially if you had a full cargo and then switched to a mod that mean you had more cargo than available space!

LandogarX4
x4

Post by LandogarX4 » Mon, 19. Jul 21, 19:32

CBJ wrote:
Mon, 19. Jul 21, 18:02
It's not a bad idea, but not quite as easy to implement as you might think. Cargo capacity isn't determined by the ship itself, it's determined by it's storage module, and there are various bits of code, potentially including important optimisations, that rely on that not changing. Being able to switch mods at any point could mess things up in all kinds of ways, especially if you had a full cargo and then switched to a mod that mean you had more cargo than available space!
I always underestimate the complexities of programming xD. But many thanks for considering the idea, maybe there is a way to still make it work.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 19. Jul 21, 19:37

Maybe some ships could tow/tractor a rigid trailer cargo pod (without frying it with their engines)? If they are capitals then docking and undocking with such an 'extension' might not be such an issue. Of course the space-train would be really slow and a pig to turn. :wink:
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

-=SiR KiLLaLoT=-
x4

Post by -=SiR KiLLaLoT=- » Mon, 19. Jul 21, 19:59

This is a great idea, but I can say you can already do something very similar.

For example, to carry the huge quantities of Graphene or Metallic Microlattice (and you surely know why ;) ), i am using exactly 4 Shuryaku Sentinels with the only four blue modifications in my possession for hull and engines.

Basically by increasing the travel speed and main thrust significantly, you get much the same effect as having a cargo modification.

I can confirm that the modification of only four transporters with that tonnage can guarantee a MUCH faster delivery speed than you can imagine.
HW Spec:
CPU: Core i9 9900k @ 5.0Ghz - MOBO: MSI Z390-A PRO - RAM: 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix MAX DDR4 4400Mhz CL19 - GPU: nVidia RTX 3070 FE - M.2: Samsung 980 512GB - SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB - Sandisk Plus 240GB – HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB – WD Caviar Blue 1TB – WD Caviar Black 2TB - PSU: Enermax Liberty 82+ PRO 620w - CASE: iTek Iron Soldier - MONITOR: 27” Acer ED270UP - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit - KEYBOARD: Logitech G11 – MOUSE: Red Dragon Perdition
My X4 Steam screenshots.

LandogarX4
x4

Post by LandogarX4 » Mon, 19. Jul 21, 20:37

-=SiR KiLLaLoT=- wrote:
Mon, 19. Jul 21, 19:59

For example, to carry the huge quantities of Graphene or Metallic Microlattice (and you surely know why ;) ), i am using exactly 4 Shuryaku Sentinels with the only four blue modifications in my possession for hull and engines.

Basically by increasing the travel speed and main thrust significantly, you get much the same effect as having a cargo modification.

I can confirm that the modification of only four transporters with that tonnage can guarantee a MUCH faster delivery speed than you can imagine.
But the important metric in the late game is not (cargo/time), which can be increased infinitely by buying more and more ships. What really matters is (cargo/click), i.e. how many times do you have to click in the UI to transport x units. And this cannot be improved at all even by the most advanced player with infinite resources. The best you can do is to buy an Incarcatura Sentinel.

-=SiR KiLLaLoT=-
x4

Post by -=SiR KiLLaLoT=- » Mon, 19. Jul 21, 21:14

LandogarX4 wrote:
Mon, 19. Jul 21, 20:37
-=SiR KiLLaLoT=- wrote:
Mon, 19. Jul 21, 19:59

But the important metric in the late game is not (cargo/time), which can be increased infinitely by buying more and more ships. What really matters is (cargo/click), i.e. how many times do you have to click in the UI to transport x units. And this cannot be improved at all even by the most advanced player with infinite resources. The best you can do is to buy an Incarcatura Sentinel.
I understand what you mean, but in my case I do transports of this magnitude via repeat order behavior, so that kind of mod all in all works ;)

I think the number of clicks should be solved with the possibility of selecting multiple ships and being able to order all of them to perform the same operation manually.
In reality there is already a similar menu, which few people know. When performing a manual trade, there is the possibility of selecting ships via a drop-down menu.
The problem is that I don't understand the list of ships in this menu, I don't understand the logic of the ships shown.

It would be nice if it showed SELECTED ships at that time, so that you can decide whether to select all or some and be able to deliver all the goods to the same place.
That menu could also show information about the cargo of each individual ship so as to keep track of the amount of cargo transported.
Something like this
HW Spec:
CPU: Core i9 9900k @ 5.0Ghz - MOBO: MSI Z390-A PRO - RAM: 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix MAX DDR4 4400Mhz CL19 - GPU: nVidia RTX 3070 FE - M.2: Samsung 980 512GB - SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB - Sandisk Plus 240GB – HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB – WD Caviar Blue 1TB – WD Caviar Black 2TB - PSU: Enermax Liberty 82+ PRO 620w - CASE: iTek Iron Soldier - MONITOR: 27” Acer ED270UP - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit - KEYBOARD: Logitech G11 – MOUSE: Red Dragon Perdition
My X4 Steam screenshots.

Return to “X4: Foundations”