When will we learn to shoot the turrets ourselves?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

rubahax4
x4

When will we learn to shoot the turrets ourselves?

Post by rubahax4 » Wed, 14. Jul 21, 14:47

It would be fun to re-operate the turrets of a large ship yourself. You can associate this opportunity with new missions, for example, working as a shooter.

af_2017
x4

Re: When will we learn to shoot the turrets ourselves?

Post by af_2017 » Wed, 14. Jul 21, 15:51

Could you please elaborate on this?
How pilot should control multiple turrets on raptor for example?
Also I barely can imagine that controlling more than one turret manually is somewhat fun and efficient.
X4 is not a destination. It's a journey. Unfortunately in a wrong direction.

KextV8
x4

Post by KextV8 » Wed, 14. Jul 21, 17:14

af_2017 wrote:
Wed, 14. Jul 21, 15:51

How pilot should control multiple turrets on raptor for example?
Does it need to be multiple? We could of course have it act like the main gimballed guns and have every turret that can, swing to the aim point of the turret controller.

Or we could just have single turret control. That would be fine too.

Turret control would just be nice to have on ships that don't really have main gun.

rubahax4
x4

Post by rubahax4 » Wed, 14. Jul 21, 17:54

You can also manually control two turrets as in the ship purchase screen. And if necessary, then switch to another group.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 14. Jul 21, 18:00

Manually controlling a turret has been on the wishlist for a while now, and it's something we'd definitely like to do. However I can't give any kind of timescale to that, or even say for sure whether it will actually make it into the schedule. I also very much doubt that it would ever include controlling multiple turrets at once, though.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Wed, 14. Jul 21, 18:57

CBJ wrote:
Wed, 14. Jul 21, 18:00
Manually controlling a turret has been on the wishlist for a while now, and it's something we'd definitely like to do. However I can't give any kind of timescale to that, or even say for sure whether it will actually make it into the schedule. I also very much doubt that it would ever include controlling multiple turrets at once, though.
Great to know it is still being considered! Just want to add my plug to also manually control individual drones, as it would be fun to fly around in a big battle on your destroyer, controlling a small fighter and getting a view of the battle without worrying too much about the consequences if the drone you are controlling blows up.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 14. Jul 21, 18:57

I think OP doesn't realized how boring would be the shooting from X4 turrets - all of them are singular (in X3 you controlled the group of turrets or multi gun turret).

Try to fly single gun fighter and check if it's fun - you have currently this choice:
- medium turrets that barrely able to harm the lightest fighters (unless it gets into crossfire of a few of them).
- Large turrets with slow weapons like plasma - good luck putting hundred shots into station or other big ship with single turret before it blow up.
- Large beam - hold fire button and zap small fighter for like 20 seconds before it blow up.

Immensly fun experience.

Personally I don't find manual turret control as pressing concern for X4.

af_2017
x4

Post by af_2017 » Wed, 14. Jul 21, 19:09

Falcrack wrote:
Wed, 14. Jul 21, 18:57
also manually control individual drones, as it would be fun to fly around in a big battle on your destroyer, controlling a small fighter and getting a view of the battle without worrying too much about the consequences if the drone you are controlling blows up.
What's stopping you from doing this now using small ships?

strask412
x4

Post by strask412 » Wed, 14. Jul 21, 19:18

af_2017 wrote:
Wed, 14. Jul 21, 19:09
Falcrack wrote:
also manually control individual drones, as it would be fun to fly around in a big battle on your destroyer, controlling a small fighter and getting a view of the battle without worrying too much about the consequences if the drone you are controlling blows up.
What's stopping you from doing this now using small ships?
If the small ship gets killed, the player dies. This request was about remote control.
"If I were a shadowy nemesis that wanted to strike the Protectorate where it's weakest, Pioneers space is where I'd begin."
- Delilah Shiratori

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 14. Jul 21, 19:36

Falcrack wrote:
Great to know it is still being considered! Just want to add my plug to also manually control individual drones, as it would be fun to fly around in a big battle on your destroyer, controlling a small fighter and getting a view of the battle without worrying too much about the consequences if the drone you are controlling blows up.
This one would actually be fun and justify adding more types of combat drones.
X-Rebirth had several types of combat drones, so adding more would expand the depth of drone gameplay and make Frigates and Auxilary ships (dat 100 drone storage) a bit more useful.

rubahax4
x4

Post by rubahax4 » Wed, 14. Jul 21, 20:36

1) Shooting manually from two turrets, if it is accurate, then small fighters can be worn out.
2) It is also probably easier to shoot torpedoes manually.
3) Well, it's no less fun to launch unguided rockets from rocket turrets.

rubahax4
x4

Post by rubahax4 » Thu, 15. Jul 21, 08:01

4) The stations also have turrets ...

P.S. this is not a problem X4, these are dreams)

af_2017
x4

Post by af_2017 » Thu, 15. Jul 21, 15:05

strask412 wrote:
Wed, 14. Jul 21, 19:18
If the small ship gets killed, the player dies. This request was about remote control.
Version 4.00 (432831) - 2021-03-16
New Feature: Emergency eject.

That is, when your current ship explodes you will be float in space suit.
Or did I miss something?

strask412
x4

Post by strask412 » Thu, 15. Jul 21, 18:03

af_2017 wrote:
Thu, 15. Jul 21, 15:05
strask412 wrote:
Wed, 14. Jul 21, 19:18
Version 4.00 (432831) - 2021-03-16
New Feature: Emergency eject.

That is, when your current ship explodes you will be float in space suit.
Or did I miss something?
I think emergency eject is a chance to survive, not a guarantee. And if there is an explosion nearby or an enemy targets the space suit before you can teleport, it's pretty dicey anyway.
"If I were a shadowy nemesis that wanted to strike the Protectorate where it's weakest, Pioneers space is where I'd begin."
- Delilah Shiratori

Web.Diz.

Post by Web.Diz. » Sat, 17. Jul 21, 20:14

rubahax4 wrote:
Wed, 14. Jul 21, 14:47
It would be fun to re-operate the turrets of a large ship yourself. You can associate this opportunity with new missions, for example, working as a shooter.
The ability to shoot guns is simple.
Who wants to create a mod here's how it's done.
Creates a guidance system with a sight.
If it is a group of guns
The guns are self-targeting and fire themselves.
Fire only at targets that can be hit.
But the primary choice of targets is given to the player.
You point at the enemy, and the guns begin to point and fire at him.
But when you are not pointed at the enemy, the guns themselves determine where to fire.
The enemy is fired automatically when you point.
For allies or neutrals you need to press the button to fire.
For one turret principle is the following, when you point at an enemy target firing occurs.
On neutrals or friends you need to lock the target and press fire.
You can press cease fire or restore fire.
This creates the desired effect. Both for a group of guns, as well as for a single gun.
And it does not break the mechanics of the game.

raythnor
x3

Post by raythnor » Fri, 23. Jun 23, 18:26

mr.WHO wrote:
I think OP doesn't realized how boring would be the shooting from X4 turrets - all of them are singular (in X3 you controlled the group of turrets or multi gun turret).

Try to fly single gun fighter and check if it's fun - you have currently this choice:
- medium turrets that barrely able to harm the lightest fighters (unless it gets into crossfire of a few of them).
- Large turrets with slow weapons like plasma - good luck putting hundred shots into station or other big ship with single turret before it blow up.
- Large beam - hold fire button and zap small fighter for like 20 seconds before it blow up.

Immensly fun experience.

Personally I don't find manual turret control as pressing concern for X4.
I don't think it would be boring. It would add a great function for helping your ships in a defense. It's not uncommon for me to have a frieghter or something engaged in a fight in a system when I don't have a nearby fighter or gunboat.
Even if you have a fighter nearby it might be too delicate for the fight.
You can teleport on, assume control of at least 1 turret, and contribute to the fight. Flying frieghters are too slow and have negligee impact.
X3, or was it x2, worked at least 1 turret control mission into it and I had fun with that. Taking control of turrets gives a different aspect to the game and fills the gap of how to help a frieghter fight.

badbane
x4

Post by badbane » Fri, 23. Jun 23, 18:43

I think he wants something like freelancer where its a third person view you control the ship with wasd but free looking with a floating target reticle that the turrets fire at.

raythnor
x3

Post by raythnor » Fri, 23. Jun 23, 22:44

badbane wrote:
Fri, 23. Jun 23, 18:43
I think he wants something like freelancer where its a third person view you control the ship with wasd but free looking with a floating target reticle that the turrets fire at.
That part I wouldn't enjoy.
Wow I think i necro'd an old thread I came across in a search. However I do want to be able to man turrets, I forgot we couldn't, teleported in a barbarossa under attack by fighters and tried to man the turrets, they took it down halfway through the hull before I rescued it with my dragon raider. Even a barbarrosa being used as a frieghter can be taken on by xenon fighters and a p or two.
Edit:I ordered the dragon to fly in from a few sectors away, flew the barb while waiting.

badbane
x4

Post by badbane » Fri, 23. Jun 23, 23:58

I still don't understand the date system on this forum would be nice if the year was listed.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sat, 24. Jun 23, 00:36

The year is listed, unless you've chosen a date format in your forum profile that doesn't show it.

Now since this is another ancient thread, it can sink back down from whence it came.

Return to “X4: Foundations”