rep loss for boarding ships is way too low

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Falcrack
x4

rep loss for boarding ships is way too low

Post by Falcrack » Wed, 7. Jul 21, 06:27

Currently there is hardly any rep loss for boarding and capturing a ship. I feel that the instant you capture a ship, it should result in a rep loss equal to that of destroying the ship.

strask412
x4

Re: rep loss for boarding ships is way too low

Post by strask412 » Wed, 7. Jul 21, 06:53

Well yeah, and while we are at it, the anger that targets have at you for launching boarding pods is silly quick to expire, I have frequently been granted docking permission on ships WHILE my marines were busily cutting through the hull.

AND...

fixing those problems might kill all my fun because then I wouldn't board ships any more. Probably. Depending on the "fixes". I think we may see development action around this though as the piracy expansion gets done.

If it helps at all, my head-cannon around this whole deal is that boarding pods launch really quietly and it's difficult to tell what ship they came from and if you kill all the witnesses they can't tell anyone so no rep loss. :)
"If I were a shadowy nemesis that wanted to strike the Protectorate where it's weakest, Pioneers space is where I'd begin."
- Delilah Shiratori

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 7. Jul 21, 10:18

strask412 wrote:
Wed, 7. Jul 21, 06:53
fixing those problems might kill all my fun because then I wouldn't board ships any more. Probably. Depending on the "fixes". I think we may see development action around this though as the piracy expansion gets done.
We'll see.

Why do I lose rep when I kill someone "out there"? Is there no "Jam their comms!"? There were no eye-witnesses. :pirat:

When I board SCA or TER ships, I lose as much rep as when killing them. The former is fixed at -5 and the latter at -30 can't lose either. :roll:

Yes, doing an errand for ZYA (rep +30) -- relieve ARG (rep +30) from a ship -- is unnoticeable too. That is not so much about boarding, but a larger question of should you be able to be " a very friendly neutral war profiteer".
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Wed, 7. Jul 21, 11:30

jlehtone wrote:
Wed, 7. Jul 21, 10:18
strask412 wrote:
We'll see.

Why do I lose rep when I kill someone "out there"? Is there no "Jam their comms!"? There were no eye-witnesses. :pirat:

When I board SCA or TER ships, I lose as much rep as when killing them. The former is fixed at -5 and the latter at -30 can't lose either. :roll:

Yes, doing an errand for ZYA (rep +30) -- relieve ARG (rep +30) from a ship -- is unnoticeable too. That is not so much about boarding, but a larger question of should you be able to be " a very friendly neutral war profiteer".
There is a "fixed" rep loss for boarding and capturing a ship. True, this is "negligible" when your rep is too high (above +22) but not all that negligible between -10 and +10.
I would agree with strask that reverting your rep with the ship you are boarding is kind of ridiculous, it should remain at -30 during all the time you are boarding. Also it should trigger the rep loss when boarding is ordered (right now if you just otder a boarding operation against a ship there is no rep change, unless you start shooting at it...

ubuntufreakdragon
x4

Post by ubuntufreakdragon » Wed, 7. Jul 21, 12:05

An btw. permanent rep loss for killing the surface elements is ridiculously high, should be none.

You should be punished for stealing the ship not, killing some random turret.
My X3 Mods

XRebirth, things left to patch:
In General; On Firing NPC's; In De Vries; Out Of Zone; And the Antiwishlist

strask412
x4

Post by strask412 » Wed, 7. Jul 21, 12:47

ubuntufreakdragon wrote:
Wed, 7. Jul 21, 12:05
An btw. permanent rep loss for killing the surface elements is ridiculously high, should be none.

You should be punished for stealing the ship not, killing some random turret.
Agreed on this, reverse surface element and ship boarding rep loss and I think we are done here. :)
dtpsprt wrote:
Wed, 7. Jul 21, 11:30
Also it should trigger the rep loss when boarding is ordered (right now if you just otder a boarding operation against a ship there is no rep change, unless you start shooting at it...
Wait, what? The way that part works right now is perfect. Lose temp rep on first hostile ACTION. Not planning to act. Acting. Firing a shot or launching the boarding pods is the step that triggers the target becoming aware of you and turning red, as it should be. Please attempt to convince me otherwise, as I'm confused by you even suggesting that change. :)
"If I were a shadowy nemesis that wanted to strike the Protectorate where it's weakest, Pioneers space is where I'd begin."
- Delilah Shiratori

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Wed, 7. Jul 21, 14:04

strask412 wrote:
Wed, 7. Jul 21, 12:47
Wait, what? The way that part works right now is perfect. Lose temp rep on first hostile ACTION. Not planning to act. Acting. Firing a shot or launching the boarding pods is the step that triggers the target becoming aware of you and turning red, as it should be. Please attempt to convince me otherwise, as I'm confused by you even suggesting that change. :)
Maybe I am mistaken, or it has to do with the BETA but I have ordered a boarding action on a "friendly" ship (+21) and no rep loss when the Marines got into their pods. It was docked at a station so it was stationery, I didn't even bother to shoot at it's engines...

strask412
x4

Post by strask412 » Wed, 7. Jul 21, 14:44

dtpsprt wrote:
Wed, 7. Jul 21, 14:04
strask412 wrote:
Wed, 7. Jul 21, 12:47
Maybe I am mistaken, or it has to do with the BETA but I have ordered a boarding action on a "friendly" ship (+21) and no rep loss when the Marines got into their pods. It was docked at a station so it was stationery, I didn't even bother to shoot at it's engines...
I have never ever seen a case like that, so if it happens again I suggest you report it in the beta feedback forum as a bug. Try to take a save game with the pods in the air and the target still friendly. :)
- Delilah Shiratori

flywlyx
x4

Post by flywlyx » Sun, 18. Jul 21, 01:24

dtpsprt wrote:
Wed, 7. Jul 21, 11:30
There is a "fixed" rep loss for boarding and capturing a ship. True, this is "negligible" when your rep is too high (above +22) but not all that negligible between -10 and +10.
I am sure in 4.1 If you don't shoot your target, rep change is 0. Only your target is set to -30 immediately.

Pares
x4

Post by Pares » Sun, 18. Jul 21, 10:24

Honestly, from a roleplaying and immersion point of view, I cannot imagine a scenario when boarding a ship wouldn't make you automatically enemies with the target faction. Maybe, if you have max reputation with them, you could make them forgive one boarding, so your reputation only falls to neutral (even then, boarding an Asgard should be a capital offense), but two boardings against the same faction should absolutely make you enemies with them.

This is a bit off-topic, but maybe if the private sector was introduced (like in Distant Worlds), so that most of the civilian and military ships belonged to corporations with no strong ties to their origin factions (so factions would only have military fleets for key infrastructure and sector defense, or offense), boarding a ship of a rival company would only massively reduce your reputation with that company, and only minimally with the related faction.

Zloth2
x4

Post by Zloth2 » Sun, 18. Jul 21, 18:43

From a roleplaying and immersion point of view, I can't imagine a nation selling battleships and aircraft carriers to a company CEO just because they've been providing a few services over the past week or two. But yeah, I feel your pain. X3's mechanic where you could simply apologize for capturing a faction's prized warships drove me batty.

Luckily, NPC ships don't capture each other at all.* If you refrain from doing it except when it makes sense, you're set.

( * Yet. The next DLC looks to be pirate focused so....)
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home
and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here! It's wondrous, with
treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross, but it's not for the
timid." ---- Q

adeine
x4

Post by adeine » Mon, 19. Jul 21, 03:36

jlehtone wrote:
Wed, 7. Jul 21, 10:18
strask412 wrote:
We'll see.

There should definitely be a way to stealthily capture ships in neutral sectors (or even other faction's sectors where the local faction does not care about your target). Same is true for other hostile actions. Maybe an illegal software you can install at pirate bases to jam comms for some time under those circumstances? To make things more interesting, it could be time limited, so you'd actually have to make an effort in capturing it - none of the 'just launch pods and teleport to another sector' approach that works anywhere with zero repercussions right now.

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Mon, 19. Jul 21, 06:13

This has always annoyed me. Particularly because it seems like they "balanced" it by putting all that rep loss in the ship's equipment, which means you can cheese it by spamming marines without disabling the ship, but also that the way more immersive approach—with the distress drone you can potentially shoot down—is rendered meaningless. Somewhere along the way they were like, nah, shooting a turret sends psychic shockwaves through an entire faction. It's ridiculous.
***modified***

Web.Diz.

Post by Web.Diz. » Mon, 19. Jul 21, 15:20

Falcrack wrote:
Wed, 7. Jul 21, 06:27
Currently there is hardly any rep loss for boarding and capturing a ship. I feel that the instant you capture a ship, it should result in a rep loss equal to that of destroying the ship.
The game is designed for many players, so some functions have minor restrictions, to fix this, there are always mods.

oddible
x4

Post by oddible » Tue, 10. Aug 21, 17:44

The rep system is totally one of the most arcadey things in the game and I really hope it gets overhauled one day. The fact that you can lose rep because your trade ship flies through a gate, gets shot by a LASER TOWER, and shoots back as it flies away is just dumb. But wait, you lose the EXACT SAME AMOUNT OF REP capturing a destroyer or destroying an ADMIN MODULE. Just ridiculous. Certain actions should be weighted differently. In other strategy games there is a stickiness to reputation, in X4 you just fly to the nearest enemy station, shoot a couple criminals and now everything's cool.

adeine
x4

Post by adeine » Wed, 11. Aug 21, 01:58

oddible wrote:
Tue, 10. Aug 21, 17:44
The rep system is totally one of the most arcadey things in the game and I really hope it gets overhauled one day. The fact that you can lose rep because your trade ship flies through a gate, gets shot by a LASER TOWER, and shoots back as it flies away is just dumb. But wait, you lose the EXACT SAME AMOUNT OF REP capturing a destroyer or destroying an ADMIN MODULE. Just ridiculous. Certain actions should be weighted differently. In other strategy games there is a stickiness to reputation, in X4 you just fly to the nearest enemy station, shoot a couple criminals and now everything's cool.
While I agree the current rep system leaves a lot to be desired, I'm pretty sure that is already the case. Destroying an admin module can take you from +15 to -10, destroying a laser tower at best drops you one or two points.

oddible
x4

Post by oddible » Wed, 11. Aug 21, 05:36

adeine wrote:
Wed, 11. Aug 21, 01:58
While I agree the current rep system leaves a lot to be desired, I'm pretty sure that is already the case. Destroying an admin module can take you from +15 to -10, destroying a laser tower at best drops you one or two points.
Sadly this is incorrect. I got sick of MIN rep loss when shooting ARG enemies in Two Grand and Open Market so I built admin stations in both, quickly burst down TEL admin modules before they could send and ships that I'd need to kill. I ended up killing 2 modules and stealing 2 of their sectors. Rep loss? -2

adeine
x4

Post by adeine » Wed, 11. Aug 21, 05:42

oddible wrote:
Wed, 11. Aug 21, 05:36
adeine wrote:
Sadly this is incorrect. I got sick of MIN rep loss when shooting ARG enemies in Two Grand and Open Market so I built admin stations in both, quickly burst down TEL admin modules before they could send and ships that I'd need to kill. I ended up killing 2 modules and stealing 2 of their sectors. Rep loss? -2
Weird. I had to clean up a PAR admin module that was contesting my own admin module in my 4.10 run and it wrecked my rep with them.

oddible
x4

Post by oddible » Wed, 11. Aug 21, 07:17

adeine wrote:
Wed, 11. Aug 21, 05:42
oddible wrote:
adeine wrote:
Weird. I had to clean up a PAR admin module that was contesting my own admin module in my 4.10 run and it wrecked my rep with them.
If they sent a defensive fleet, you get -1 for every ship you kill. Including Laser Towers (which is literally the dumbest thing in X4).

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Wed, 11. Aug 21, 15:05

Regarding this threads title, the rep loss for boarding ships is non-existant ;p You lose 0 rep for boarding a ship. You only lose rep if something explodes, whether its a turret, a laser tower, a ship, an escape pod, etc. Might sound pedantic but its an important detail. I capture whole fleets of L and XL ships all the time without losing a single point of rep.
oddible wrote:
Wed, 11. Aug 21, 07:17
adeine wrote:
Wed, 11. Aug 21, 05:42
oddible wrote:

If they sent a defensive fleet, you get -1 for every ship you kill. Including Laser Towers (which is literally the dumbest thing in X4).
Why is that dumb?

Return to “X4: Foundations”