Issues while trying to enforce Illegal goods in my own sectors.

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

MatthewK
x4

Issues while trying to enforce Illegal goods in my own sectors.

Post by MatthewK » Mon, 5. Jul 21, 13:15

hi all.

Here's what I am facing in my current gameplay. I flipped Pluto and Oort Cloud via setting mines on TER's admin modules. Those systems are currently mine. I am at +24 with TER.

My strategy was to ban all terran specific goods and raw materials, and order my own police craft to enforce this laws (mainly to stop the resource drain from Oort cloud and make TER more dependant on my own supply).

However, what is in fact happening is that every time my ship (using "police" default behavior) scans any TER ship, they refuse to comply, attempt to escape, and get destroyed, which prompts rep loss. This happens both OOS and IS.

Moreover, I saw twice that my Osakas started attacking stations while policing. This was definitely OOS so stray shot is out of the question, it had to be result of policing behavior. Result: station destruction and huge rep loss.

A few issues/questions here (backed up by some comments from reddit):
- IMHO not complying is fine, but then said ship should be flagged somehow as a criminal/noncomplaint, so in case of destruction there's no rep loss happening.
- my assumption is that police behavior should allow some local authority enforcement without rep loss. Otherwise, why even have it if it's no different to declaring war and setting patrols?
- did any of you used it and had ships actually comply to player police ships? If so, what was the situation?

Also, some wider questions:
- does different factions react differently to police actions? (somebody sugeested on reddit that Teladi tend to comply more)
- are different goods handled differently?
- does each faction remember which sector used to be theirs, who took it from them, and take it into account on their actions?

For the sake of discussion - I want to talk about EXISTING mechanics, NOT how things "should" work, immersion, realism etc.

KextV8
x4

Re: Issues while trying to enforce Illegal goods in my own sectors.

Post by KextV8 » Mon, 5. Jul 21, 18:04

MatthewK wrote:
Mon, 5. Jul 21, 13:15
hi all.

- IMHO not complying is fine, but then said ship should be flagged somehow as a criminal/noncomplaint, so in case of destruction there's no rep loss happening.
- my assumption is that police behavior should allow some local authority enforcement without rep loss. Otherwise, why even have it if it's no different to declaring war and setting patrols?

Personally I wish sanity checks were in place for results of setting some goods illegal. IMHO, If the goods you made illegal are basic goods and not illegal anywhere in the galaxy at all, setting them illegal and destroying ships should absolutely entail a rep loss. If they were widely seen as illegal goods then the faction shouldn't really care.

To your second point, I believe any rep loss from policing is only temporary towards that individual target, until you actually destroy something. Then it hits your rep with the faction.

Additionally, as you've seen, an illegal good produced by a station will also trigger a police response when they scan it. So, the way you took over the sector and left their stations in tact means trouble for you if you set their basic economic goods illegal and actually care about Terran rep.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Tue, 6. Jul 21, 00:10

KextV8 wrote:
Mon, 5. Jul 21, 18:04
MatthewK wrote:
Mon, 5. Jul 21, 13:15
hi all.

Personally I wish sanity checks were in place for results of setting some goods illegal. IMHO, If the goods you made illegal are basic goods and not illegal anywhere in the galaxy at all, setting them illegal and destroying ships should absolutely entail a rep loss. If they were widely seen as illegal goods then the faction shouldn't really care.

To your second point, I believe any rep loss from policing is only temporary towards that individual target, until you actually destroy something. Then it hits your rep with the faction.

Additionally, as you've seen, an illegal good produced by a station will also trigger a police response when they scan it. So, the way you took over the sector and left their stations in tact means trouble for you if you set their basic economic goods illegal and actually care about Terran rep.
I agree with this.... setting basic wares as illegal should cause the person setting them illegal to have issues. If the game allowed it, id say the npc factions just stops doing all business with a player when they do silly things like this.

And also violently blockade any of those illegal wares from coming into their NPC sectors.

Mistle

Post by Mistle » Tue, 6. Jul 21, 10:08

But this game is a kind of sandbox to allow player to do many silly things.
Destroy all race like Paranids or Splits is allowed. Is it silly thing , ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, who knows ? Many calls that not other say yes.
My sector = my rules. If gathering ore or silicon is prohibited than rules are clear and set. You can follow the rules or not it is your decision. But if you won't obey the rules you are criminal.
Who makes the decision that for example spaceweed is illegal or not ? In this game is set per race . For Teladi it is basic ware for Terran not, who have right, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, I don't know.
Matthewk set rules, others should respect it. It is his game and his rules.

KextV8
x4

Post by KextV8 » Tue, 6. Jul 21, 13:22

Mistle wrote:
Tue, 6. Jul 21, 10:08
Matthewk set rules, others should respect it. It is his game and his rules.
Hmm, should he be able to? Yes. Should there be consequences? Also yes. Its the kind of thing that gets you overthrown, sanctioned, embargoed or invaded IRL :lol:

TheDeliveryMan
x4

Post by TheDeliveryMan » Tue, 6. Jul 21, 18:34

Mistle wrote:
Tue, 6. Jul 21, 10:08
My sector = my rules. If gathering ore or silicon is prohibited than rules are clear and set. You can follow the rules or not it is your decision. But if you won't obey the rules you are criminal.
When the factory was built its products and resources were perfectly legal. So from terran point of view the OP is shooting innocent terran citizens. Of course they are not amused...

flywlyx
x4

Post by flywlyx » Wed, 21. Jul 21, 05:50

It is kind of common sense to me, like If some country claims "speaking English is illegal and will be sentenced death immediately" it should hurt its relation with english speaking countries really bad.

vr01
x4

Post by vr01 » Wed, 21. Jul 21, 15:09

mainly to stop the resource drain from Oort cloud and make TER more dependant on my own supply
Variation of old :x2: strategy can potentially help you here.

Look at what TER are selling at.
Sell your stuff to TER at a lower price.
TER stations will fill up sending their price down.
Get your traders to buy all stock from TER at your price + 1.

You get the TER demand and then hopefully your traders will be faster to buy from TER forcing TER to come to you. Profitsssssssss. If you start low you should be able to create a big impact then you can slowly increase price over time to increase profit.

Also don't forget to hack the production of TER stations. Can be somewhat tedious but another tool to enable you to dominate production.

Return to “X4: Foundations”