[Suggestion] - Station Scanning

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Bravari
x4

[Suggestion] - Station Scanning

Post by Bravari » Sat, 26. Jun 21, 15:13

Very tedious. Advanced Satellites should be able to scan all stations cargo in its radius. Purpose of scanning is to know what wares the station has for trading, not to scan leaks. I am sure this has been suggested before, but probably 99% of players use mods to skip this tedious task.

Baddieus
x4

Re: [Suggestion] - Station Scanning

Post by Baddieus » Sat, 26. Jun 21, 17:24

I think of satellites as radar + communications. They see the ships in their range and communicate with the stations in range to report broadcasted trades.
Scanning stations for leaks is to pickup a 'secret signal' that is either a person needing hush-hush assistance or a broken mechanic for the players benefit.
As for knowing all their internal cargo, that would require a close up scan with a ships sensors and or making friends enough they just share the data.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Sun, 27. Jun 21, 02:40

And I think you only need to scan a station to 50% to get access what it has in it's storage.

Also, i think trade subscriptions give you that information as well automatically.

Bravari
x4

Post by Bravari » Sat, 31. Jul 21, 15:33

Getting a trade subscription does not reveal station information. This is still very time confusing and annoying. At least a custom gamestart should have an option to skip manually scanning 500 stations....

oddible
x4

Post by oddible » Tue, 10. Aug 21, 03:42

Bravari wrote:
Sat, 31. Jul 21, 15:33
Getting a trade subscription does not reveal station information. This is still very time confusing and annoying. At least a custom gamestart should have an option to skip manually scanning 500 stations....
Sorry what do you have to scan the stations for? I have satellites at all stations and my traders get along fine. What am I missing?

Ormac
x4

Post by Ormac » Tue, 10. Aug 21, 06:54

About all I consider genaral Station scanning (Not Data Leak) useful for is production module identification in the encyclopedia.

You have a ship do a fly-by (30km should be fine) to refresh trade network information if you haven't placed a satellite within range or a trade ship isn't interacting with it soon.

I'm not sure how often a scan station to n% occurs but they don't usually require most of the station scanned.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Tue, 10. Aug 21, 11:24

oddible wrote:
Tue, 10. Aug 21, 03:42
Bravari wrote:
Sat, 31. Jul 21, 15:33
Sorry what do you have to scan the stations for? I have satellites at all stations and my traders get along fine. What am I missing?
Do stations covered by satellites give inventory/stock level info? I know if you scan a station to 50%, you can see how much of each item they have.

I only use satellites on gates, so scanning to 50% is useful for me if i want to see what a station has on hand, especially if you are trying to set up some manual trade runs.

oddible
x4

Post by oddible » Tue, 10. Aug 21, 17:39

grapedog wrote:
Tue, 10. Aug 21, 11:24
Do stations covered by satellites give inventory/stock level info? I know if you scan a station to 50%, you can see how much of each item they have.

I only use satellites on gates, so scanning to 50% is useful for me if i want to see what a station has on hand, especially if you are trying to set up some manual trade runs.
Not sure but it does reveal trade info so if you don't put sats at stations your traders will only see trade data from recent fly-bys.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Thu, 12. Aug 21, 07:31

oddible wrote:
Tue, 10. Aug 21, 17:39
grapedog wrote:
Tue, 10. Aug 21, 11:24

Not sure but it does reveal trade info so if you don't put sats at stations your traders will only see trade data from recent fly-bys.
At the start of the game, I just use a couple fast S ships to keep prices updated, and then I always buy the trade subscriptions, or get trade subs via emp'ing for blueprints.

I did the satellites at every station route twice, and it's just a huge pain in the ass time wise, plus it's just so cluttered. And I like a little bit of mystery as to what is happening. I can catch notifications at gates, for alerts I have set, and to find construction ships before I get my own.... but satellites everywhere is just not a game play style i'm into at all anymore. But to each their own...

Return to “X4: Foundations”