How about Research that expand/change HQ?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mr.WHO
x4

How about Research that expand/change HQ?

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 23. Jun 21, 18:21

How about more customization to HQ via Research menu projects?

For example:
- removal of the big rock in the middle.
- (after removing the big rock) putting something in the empty space in the middle - like expanded Terran Landing pad with much more landing spaces (both S and M pads).
- repaiting the HQ hull (with player colors and/or paint mods).
- Painting huge player logo.
- possibly a project to make a gate module which we could connect to any inacctive gate in the universe, similar to old Xenon HUB.

Nort The Fragrent
x4

Re: How about Research that expand/change HQ?

Post by Nort The Fragrent » Wed, 23. Jun 21, 20:36

After over two years of game in the X4, I still haven't built the HQ. Is it worth all the bother?
After reading all the grumbles about it, I am still not convinced it is a worth it.
I find the insipid voice of the boron to be so annoying, and as there are no Boron in the game, having one seems silly. And the way you have to go do what I consider, lame stuff. Leaves me wondering as to the intelligence of the whole operation.

That aside !

player logo on your own stations is a must. A priority, paramount, no question.

mediacenter
x4

Post by mediacenter » Wed, 23. Jun 21, 21:28

Nort The Fragrent wrote:
Wed, 23. Jun 21, 20:36
After over two years of game in the X4, I still haven't built the HQ. Is it worth all the bother?
After reading all the grumbles about it, I am still not convinced it is a worth it.
I find the insipid voice of the boron to be so annoying, and as there are no Boron in the game, having one seems silly. And the way you have to go do what I consider, lame stuff. Leaves me wondering as to the intelligence of the whole operation.

That aside !

it was worth only for teleport research if you ask me

and depending on what you want to do politically in your game, you can consider to start plot mission

after countless restart, i only develop first stage of teleport (1 sector range) and then forget about it completely
im not interested in terraforming nor do i want to replay plot mission, especially the paranid one

Baddieus
x4

Post by Baddieus » Wed, 23. Jun 21, 23:33

I still haven't built the HQ. Is it worth all the bother?
I think it's worth it ..

Being able to get blueprints via station scanning has saved me millions early game to be able to start station building earlier. But I am a trader & builder first, and not really into the combat at this time. That being said, the available ship enhancements, even at the basic level, are well worth it for my combat ships. Putting a honeycomb mod on my Peregrine lightens the whole ship so it strafe's and turns quicker, plus other mods that make it faster on the top end with combat engines, and the pulse cannons which no longer heat up so quickly, or cool-down faster (not sure which way but I like it just the same). All of the previous is equally beneficial to my Phoenix when I feel the need to intervene on behalf of my characters fellow Teladi due to the Khaak nuisance or the Xenon trying to put defense stations where my traders fly. It also gives purpose to all those ship-mod-parts-drops and rewards from quests which include them.

Finally, there's a private storage near the Boron which allows you to offload the illegal cargo temporarily in order to fly through & work for hostile sectors until you gain enough rep to offset being caught with said wares.

To the OP .. I like the idea of losing the rock and having build options in the middle of the HQ.

=Baddieus=

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Thu, 24. Jun 21, 00:41

Nort The Fragrent wrote:
I still haven't built the HQ. Is it worth all the bother?
What bother? The quests are pretty easy and quick... and the PHQ is the only real way to open up the storylines that let you drastically change the universe.

It might take an hour or three to fully unlock the phq potential... i remember it being easy the few times ive done it.

I guess if you don't want to have any signifcant effect on the universe aside from maybe just wiping factions out(which is easy), or teleport, or mods, or terraforming.... then no, it isn't worth "the bother"...

Ormac
x4

Post by Ormac » Thu, 24. Jun 21, 00:56

mr.WHO wrote:
Wed, 23. Jun 21, 18:21
How about more customization to HQ via Research menu projects?

For example:
- removal of the big rock in the middle.
- (after removing the big rock) putting something in the empty space in the middle - like expanded Terran Landing pad with much more landing spaces (both S and M pads).
- repaiting the HQ hull (with player colors and/or paint mods).
- Painting huge player logo.
- possibly a project to make a gate module which we could connect to any inacctive gate in the universe, similar to old Xenon HUB.
Well back in 2018 they felt that painting the player logo on the big rock was a bug rather than a feature.

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Thu, 24. Jun 21, 03:56

Nort The Fragrent wrote:
Only for the late-game plots (if you're into that) and the research. In addition to teleportation, it allows you to unlock access to the various "ship mods". It all depends if that talks to you or not. I rather like to tinker with my personal ship with mods, but I guess it depends on you.
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

Lazerius
x4

Post by Lazerius » Thu, 24. Jun 21, 16:02

I love the idea of the HQ, but the model itself looks terrible. I'd love a line of research to improve the model for my next time playing through.

I say next time because in my current game, I've spent billions to build thousands of additional modules around the station to completely hide the terrible look. I never spent any time around the station until Terraforming came in, but for now I've made it my goal to complete these missions located near systems like the void, where there's no telling how many ships I'll lose to the hazard damage just trying to get the required resources back to the station.
All your Hyperion Vanguards are belong to us.

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Thu, 24. Jun 21, 16:30

Allot of the Game and missions can revolve around the HQ.
You can't Unite or continue the civil war with the Paranid, or help the Curb or the Split Patriarchy without the HQ.

Research/research missions and Terraforming/Missions linked to Terraforming can't be done without the HQ.

So what about those whose playthrough isn't based around the HQ?

Don't get me wrong, I love the HQ, but I agree with both parties here saying there needs to be better customization for the HQ? And yeah I agree, sick of looking at that huge rock. Needs to be a mission where you can alter the look of the HQ without effecting the overall shape of the HQ/module sockets etc.? Getting rid of that asteroid and allowing you to replace it with 1 of several customizable structures would be a good start?

And also, non-HQ Playthroughs need some serious love.
It screams against the "Player Freedom" aspect of the Egosoft Mantra if we're 'pushed' in that direction because all the features you get to enjoy are tied to the HQ.. It doesn't leave you with many options.. Makes you feel left out in the cold because you don't have your HQ.
Ragna-Tech.. Forging a Better Tomorrow!

My most annoying Bugs list 6.0 Beta 4 + [All DLC]
--------------------------------
Nvidium Worshop Animation Enlarge Broken :(
Building Modules causes low frame rate :o
Massive Framerate drops freezing game! :doh:
Save Corrupted Fixed the Crash! :-D

PowerPC603
xr

Post by PowerPC603 » Sat, 26. Jun 21, 04:02

I'd say the HQ is totally worth it. I currently only have a dock and an L version of container, liquid and solid storage, that's it.
This is just to be able to store the materials in it for research.

I did the hacking stuff first so while my autominers were gathering materials and selling them, I was getting blueprints from stations and save millions instead of earning money to just spend it all on those blueprint when you buy em from the faction representative.
After that, I did the teleport research.
If your rep with a faction is at 27+ or so, you can also teleport to any or their stations without haviong to have a ship docked there.

This is handy if you wanna teleport to a station where a faction representative is located so you don't have to waste time flying there.
Or teleport to a ship in trouble and help out by taking over the ship.
Or teleport to a collector ship which collects drops near Xenon gates after deploying a defense station there with 15 disc platforms and a collection of L plasma turrets and M flak turrets.
GamePC: 64bit Quad-core i5-3450 @ 3.1GHz, 12GB RAM, nVidia GeForce RTX2070 8GB, 22" LG Full-HD LED-monitor, Windows 7 Home 64bit

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 23. Jul 21, 10:12

I'd like to point out to this mod as an example for HQ model customization:
https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/fil ... 2142068604

No asteroid and the ring is finished.

The whole model looks much better and I'd love to have HQ model customization via research - that freaking asteroid bothers me much.

KextV8
x4

Post by KextV8 » Fri, 23. Jul 21, 14:35

Nort The Fragrent wrote:
Yes. Many of the quests and features of the game, like ship modification and terraforming etc., are locked behind you obtaining the player HQ.

These things aren't strictly necessary to enjoy the game, but they do add some things people might like.

-=SiR KiLLaLoT=-
x4

Post by -=SiR KiLLaLoT=- » Fri, 23. Jul 21, 15:03

Regarding the additions of research to the HQ I very much agree.
It would be nice to be able to remove the rock and then be able to complete the basic structure!
Nort The Fragrent wrote:
Without headquarters, you lose a lot of things.
Spoiler
Show
There is a choice of Paranid mission which allows you to create a new pirate faction.
It can also be transformed into a self-sufficient mobile shipyard, which means that depending on where you teleport it you could sell ships to one faction rather than another and cause their attack forces to increase,
creating wars and an infinite demand for ships. Without HQ I think you lose half the beauty of the game :wink:
HW Spec:
CPU: Core i9 9900k @ 5.0Ghz - MOBO: MSI Z390-A PRO - RAM: 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix MAX DDR4 4400Mhz CL19 - GPU: nVidia RTX 3070 FE - M.2: Samsung 980 512GB - SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB - Sandisk Plus 240GB – HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB – WD Caviar Blue 1TB – WD Caviar Black 2TB - PSU: Enermax Liberty 82+ PRO 620w - CASE: iTek Iron Soldier - MONITOR: 27” Acer ED270UP - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit - KEYBOARD: Logitech G11 – MOUSE: Red Dragon Perdition
My X4 Steam screenshots.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Fri, 23. Jul 21, 15:32

Nort The Fragrent wrote:

That aside !

Nort you are one strange duck...

rubahax4
x4

Post by rubahax4 » Sat, 24. Jul 21, 11:18

HQ is good, but after starting a new game six times, you realize it's monotonous. Why is everything available only through headquarters? Can you develop something in your city, in your house, in your "HQ"? I can only fry eggs.
In my opinion, the headquarters is something that is not finalized, cut down in the game as a whole.
I.e.
All these improvements could be created through different factions, alliances, pirates, finally.
Of course, this requires even more effort, but it will become more interesting to play.

P.S. I tried to play without HQ, it's a slightly different experience, more immersion in the universe.

Return to “X4: Foundations”