repair drone - buyers remorse!

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

palenaka
x3tc

repair drone - buyers remorse!

Post by palenaka » Tue, 22. Jun 21, 05:06

I bought repair drones on my destroyer (no reason for it)

during an attack on a station, i have a chain of them deploying and doing God knows what, but i can hardly move and travel drive keeps being interrupted

how can i ditch these pests?

RodentofDoom
x4

Re: repair drone - buyers remorse!

Post by RodentofDoom » Tue, 22. Jun 21, 09:47

Equipment dock or shipyard is the easiest

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Tue, 22. Jun 21, 11:03

I don't think repair drones can interrupt travel drive if you're driving it manually.
Are you getting shot? Because it sounds like it.

KextV8
x4

Post by KextV8 » Tue, 22. Jun 21, 13:41

Raptor34 wrote:
Tue, 22. Jun 21, 11:03
I don't think repair drones can interrupt travel drive if you're driving it manually.
They absolutely can. Theyll bang against your hull and count as a collision which drops you out of travel. Happens to me all the time and its annoying as hell.

palenaka
x3tc

Post by palenaka » Tue, 22. Jun 21, 15:25

ok thanks, i'll unload them at EQ dock :)

strask412
x4

Post by strask412 » Tue, 22. Jun 21, 15:50

palenaka wrote:
Tue, 22. Jun 21, 15:25
ok thanks, i'll unload them at EQ dock :)
You'll be sad when your engines get shot and you have none on board. Maybe. If that ever happens. ;)
"If I were a shadowy nemesis that wanted to strike the Protectorate where it's weakest, Pioneers space is where I'd begin."
- Delilah Shiratori

SunGod1
x4

Post by SunGod1 » Tue, 22. Jun 21, 18:26

I put at least 2 repair drones in any ship that can have them.
Travel Drive Charge Time is absolutely @player_frustration +1

Seon
x4

Post by Seon » Wed, 23. Jun 21, 07:11

KextV8 wrote:
Tue, 22. Jun 21, 13:41
Raptor34 wrote:
Tue, 22. Jun 21, 11:03
They absolutely can. Theyll bang against your hull and count as a collision which drops you out of travel. Happens to me all the time and its annoying as hell.
This is the exact reason why I wish they'd let us disable repair drones.

Because yes, I can confirm, they'll knock you out of travel drive. I lost count of how many times I've gone into a Xenon sector and blown stuff up, then tried to retreat before a bigger force came in... Only to have my repair drones stop me because they decided to boop me, leaving me at the mercy of that large Xenon fleet coming at me.

Or when they launch in the middle of battle, and fly right in front of my own turrets and get blown up.

Repair drones are nice to have... They're just highly frustrating when it comes to them doing things when you don't actually want them to, or they like to do something when it's highly inconvenient for them to do so.

Panos
x4

Post by Panos » Wed, 23. Jun 21, 08:08

palenaka wrote:
Tue, 22. Jun 21, 05:06

during an attack on a station, i have a chain of them deploying and doing God knows what, but i can hardly move and travel drive keeps being interrupted

You do realise that you will lose destroyers if you do not have repair drones yes?

It doesn't take much to destroy the engines and be a sitting duck.

mediacenter
x4

Post by mediacenter » Wed, 23. Jun 21, 16:30

Panos wrote:
Wed, 23. Jun 21, 08:08
palenaka wrote:
Tue, 22. Jun 21, 05:06

You do realise that you will lose destroyers if you do not have repair drones yes?

It doesn't take much to destroy the engines and be a sitting duck.
mmh it depends

i basically always fight in this game and i never feel the necessity to have repair drone
dont get me wrong they are usefull but, i think, we need to be able to disable them from time to time, just like the cargo drone

when you are fighting someone that do not require much power but for some reason the enemy shut down one of your turret, they pop up and start doing theyr thing, the problem is that they probably die in few second becouse of "reason" like being shot or suicide on friendly fire
if you need to travel drive away sometimes they prevent you to becouse they splatter on your windshield, i died once or twice for this reason in xenon sector
plus, if your engine gets destroied, there more chance than not that you are on direct fire of your enemy, meaning the drones have very short lifespan anyway

so there plenty of reason to have them but some serious drowback imho

CaptainPete
x4

Post by CaptainPete » Wed, 23. Jun 21, 16:34

pesky torpedoes. you need repair drones AND some fighters if you plan on holding off any significant enemy response

and a better battle plan too

adeine
x4

Post by adeine » Wed, 30. Jun 21, 23:14

Yeah, in 9/10 cases repair drones hurt more than they help.

It'd be so much better if we could enable/disable them, or at least the physics and collision system worked better for large ships.

strask412
x4

Post by strask412 » Thu, 1. Jul 21, 07:09

mediacenter wrote:
Wed, 23. Jun 21, 16:30
dont get me wrong they are usefull but, i think, we need to be able to disable them from time to time, just like the cargo drone

Definite agree, on this bit. I want an enable/disable button for the repair drones, for sure.
"If I were a shadowy nemesis that wanted to strike the Protectorate where it's weakest, Pioneers space is where I'd begin."
- Delilah Shiratori

Botschafter Von Den Glück
x4

Post by Botschafter Von Den Glück » Thu, 1. Jul 21, 11:38

i know of more things, that talk about helping you, but in fact hurt more than help...
its a sign of time, and very important waky waky in 2021.

its in fact impossible to solve this feature... its important like thaa main story, it would break the game

//
well no of course.
in my opinion, repair drones, 10 on a destroyer in numbers is much too low. should be 100. because they re just slow, you cannot really go in a fight, get your drives destroyed, or your main batteries, and hope to get out again, once the damage is done.

the collision bug is present in current version only, 4.10, but not in 3.3 legacy is still playable if you change version backwards...
we have to wait for devs are bringing them 'healthy' into the game.
out of all the repair drones need repairs from the doctor...

maybe its a trojan horse from xenon technology derailed AI everywhere...
we must free egosoft from the xenon in the next part of X4 i promise :D
Botschafter von den Glücksplaneten: Zu 100% Doktor. Die vertrauen mir!

Jawms
x4

Post by Jawms » Sat, 3. Jul 21, 02:22

You can arm/disarm cargo drones.. Is it too much to ask for the same button for all drones?

LandogarX4
x4

Post by LandogarX4 » Sat, 3. Jul 21, 03:12

Jawms wrote:
Sat, 3. Jul 21, 02:22
You can arm/disarm cargo drones.. Is it too much to ask for the same button for all drones?
I would also appreciate this feature. Repair drones preventing use of travel drive seems to be a particularly big issue with Terran ships, at least I had not noticed anything prior to CoH.

gorgofdoom
x4

Post by gorgofdoom » Sat, 3. Jul 21, 08:24

So... i heard from a redditor that It's possible to make repair drones dock by ordering your ship to resupply/repair (selling the drones.) the ship will start moving toward the dock and the drones will be put away in the process. Then you can cancel the order, and the drones _should_ stay docked.

I haven't had time to confirm that this works personally.

P.s. Don't go thru a gate with the drones deployed (if the player is present, anyway). They will vanish.

adeine
x4

Post by adeine » Mon, 5. Jul 21, 03:24

Jawms wrote:
To be fair, cargo drones don't really work either. They're so slow that at the range they're deployed, the wares usually despawn before they're picked up, and frequently get their host ship stuck waiting indefinitely (either by glitching out via sector transition or IS/OOS shenanigans).

They're only really good for direct trade with stations.

strask412
x4

Post by strask412 » Mon, 5. Jul 21, 14:12

adeine wrote:
Mon, 5. Jul 21, 03:24
Jawms wrote:
To be fair, cargo drones don't really work either. They're so slow that at the range they're deployed, the wares usually despawn before they're picked up, and frequently get their host ship stuck waiting indefinitely (either by glitching out via sector transition or IS/OOS shenanigans).

They're only really good for direct trade with stations.
Actually, my standard build for a Syn (10 drones) is 9 repair, 1 cargo. If all the repair drones get blown away, they can use the singular cargo drone to obtain spare repair drones from another Syn, perhaps obviating the need to seek a repair yard.
- Delilah Shiratori

Return to “X4: Foundations”