Why does F3 angle not correspond to player perspective ?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Submarine
x3tc

Why does F3 angle not correspond to player perspective ?

Post by Submarine » Mon, 21. Jun 21, 18:31

Just wanted to observe that F3 view is pretty essential for finding feasible subcomponent targets when attacking large objects like a Xenon I.

Yet the presentation is unergonomic in the disorienting way the F3 view is encountered when entering camera mode by pressing F3 twice.

The angle an object is seen at when switching to F3 appears to be random, I would have expected it to match the POV of the player ship to the object. That way it would be easier to orient and choose an appropriate target instead of having to iterate F3 F1 or trawl through a long list of subcomponents in pause to find the right one whcih your ship can attack from its current vantage point.

Hope that makes sense and I am not the only one who finds targeting sub components a bit of a battle with the interface at the moment.
bloop

Raptor34
x4

Re: Why does F3 angle not correspond to player perspective ?

Post by Raptor34 » Mon, 21. Jun 21, 19:45

Probably better if we get a dedicated subsystem targeting UI.
I think the game is already capable of showing if a specific sub is exposed to your guns.

dark7np
x4

Post by dark7np » Mon, 21. Jun 21, 20:04

My observation after trying to kill at least the L turrets of some Xenon stations in an Argon Behemoth: There seems to be some logic, but it often fails. There's also no good order to the subsystem list that I found... It jumps from turret group to turret group. Having F3 correspond to player perspective would help some for Is and Ks I think... probably wouldn't work for stations as they are too big. You're not zoomed in enough to see subsystems...

Submarine
x3tc

Post by Submarine » Mon, 21. Jun 21, 22:08

Raptor34 wrote:
Mon, 21. Jun 21, 19:45
Probably better if we get a dedicated subsystem targeting UI.
I think the game is already capable of showing if a specific sub is exposed to your guns.
Well, it depends on your point of view, quite literally!

In "External Target View" default F3-F3, the highlight effect is relative to the POV not the player ship location / guns. So the player sees highlights relative to the angle they are looking from and it changes as you swing around the target.

There is no way to know if you can fire on a subcomponent except viewing from the same bearing the guns have. Practically speaking this means you have to do mental gymnastics to remember which side of the ship you + guns are facing then navigate to the same spot in F3.

This is hard because entering F3 ought to be the same angle and orientation as the player perspective but isn't, after some testing the first keypress opens at an arbitrary orientation often not even centered on the target and the second keypress is always map-south and unrelated to the player's position (testing in Family Zhin).

Consequently opening "External Target View" on ships also jumps significantly between the first and the second keypress, which is even more disorienting and this jump is not consistent between different player locations/bearings.

Interestingly it does not jump about between keypresses when viewing stations and is south both times. Which suggests the code is getting its axese mixed up on moving objects.

Opening the camera on RND# * RAD followed by map-south is not helpful if the player is flying a ship.
bloop

SunGod1
x4

Post by SunGod1 » Mon, 21. Jun 21, 23:54

Yea the Cams could use a pass to tightern them up a bit... IMHO.
Travel Drive Charge Time is absolutely @player_frustration +1

Return to “X4: Foundations”