How do I apply mods to L and XL ships?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

ZaphodBeeblebrox
x4

How do I apply mods to L and XL ships?

Post by ZaphodBeeblebrox » Sun, 20. Jun 21, 12:01

I am sure I have done this previously at the end of a build. I tried this at the shipyard but my carrier left and it never appeared in the drop down lists.
It was a woman who drove me to drink... you know I never went back and thanked her.

Don't try to outweird me, three-eyes. I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: How do I apply mods to L and XL ships?

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 20. Jun 21, 12:18

Adter a build or upgrade the capital ships will automatically undock to make room at the cradle for the next job. Ships have to be docked and not under construction work to apply in-game mods. There may be a window of opportunity just after a build completes, but you may have to be quick or lucky to commit to the mod to catch it. You can always task the ship to dock again.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

jkflipflop98
x4

Post by jkflipflop98 » Sun, 20. Jun 21, 16:23

I have L/XL docks on my shipyards and when my cap ships dock there I can mod them. Then they aren't getting kicked out to make room for a new ship construction.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Sun, 20. Jun 21, 17:30

Under default order you need to allow the L and XL ships to remain docked. Then order the ships to dock at a shipyard. Once docked, you can modify them as expected.

L and XL ships default to automatically undock, so as to not clog up the limited L and XL piers of stations. Only docked ships can be modified. It is also not possible to modify any ship at Equipment Docks last time I checked (bug?!) since the workbench to do so is missing.

ZaphodBeeblebrox
x4

Post by ZaphodBeeblebrox » Sun, 20. Jun 21, 19:08

Got it sorted guys. Ordered the carrier to dock and wait. It goes to one of the piers and not the build cradle. I can then mod the ship.
A bit odd, I thought from a previous run they had to be either just built or in for upgrade / repair for this to work.

Hey Ho. All sorted now.
It was a woman who drove me to drink... you know I never went back and thanked her.

Don't try to outweird me, three-eyes. I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

strask412
x4

Post by strask412 » Sun, 20. Jun 21, 19:25

Imperial Good wrote:
Sun, 20. Jun 21, 17:30
It is also not possible to modify any ship at Equipment Docks last time I checked (bug?!) since the workbench to do so is missing.
It's still missing in the current build of 4.10beta I'm playing today. It would be nice to know if this was a bug or WAI.
"If I were a shadowy nemesis that wanted to strike the Protectorate where it's weakest, Pioneers space is where I'd begin."
- Delilah Shiratori

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Mon, 21. Jun 21, 05:38

They need to add that workbench to EQ docks. Made that suggestion about 2 weeks ago.

Return to “X4: Foundations”