I don't understand sector ownership benefits

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

strask412
x4

I don't understand sector ownership benefits

Post by strask412 » Sun, 20. Jun 21, 01:37

I have a hefty number of hours in x4 and still don't understand why I should bother claiming sectors. So mostly I haven't been. Is this a mistake? Aside from the occasional fee paid to a faction for a station plot (easily less than I would pay for the admin center & combat operations to claim the sector) I don't feel like I'm losing anything by never owning any places.

My understanding is that I would be allowed to police my territory, which I guess one could make all cargo illegal for lols or something but that's not how I play. Is there any other benefit besides a green sector boundary and police authority? Tangible things?
"If I were a shadowy nemesis that wanted to strike the Protectorate where it's weakest, Pioneers space is where I'd begin."
- Delilah Shiratori

Falcrack
x4

Re: I don't understand sector ownership benefits

Post by Falcrack » Sun, 20. Jun 21, 02:00

strask412 wrote:
Sun, 20. Jun 21, 01:37
I have a hefty number of hours in x4 and still don't understand why I should bother claiming sectors. So mostly I haven't been. Is this a mistake? Aside from the occasional fee paid to a faction for a station plot (easily less than I would pay for the admin center & combat operations to claim the sector) I don't feel like I'm losing anything by never owning any places.

My understanding is that I would be allowed to police my territory, which I guess one could make all cargo illegal for lols or something but that's not how I play. Is there any other benefit besides a green sector boundary and police authority? Tangible things?
Yes, it is a mistake. Egosoft simply forgot to add any meaningful benefits to owning sectors.

strask412
x4

Post by strask412 » Sun, 20. Jun 21, 03:24

Falcrack wrote:
Sun, 20. Jun 21, 02:00
Yes, it is a mistake. Egosoft simply forgot to add any meaningful benefits to owning sectors.
Ok, good to know I'm not missing anything obvious.

In another thread that I can't find now, someone mentioned that NPC faction fleet size is controlled partly by the number of sectors they own. And that got me to wondering if there are any other hidden / obscure reasons that I might want to own them myself.
"If I were a shadowy nemesis that wanted to strike the Protectorate where it's weakest, Pioneers space is where I'd begin."
- Delilah Shiratori

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Sun, 20. Jun 21, 04:08

strask412 wrote:
Sun, 20. Jun 21, 03:24
Falcrack wrote:
Ok, good to know I'm not missing anything obvious.

In another thread that I can't find now, someone mentioned that NPC faction fleet size is controlled partly by the number of sectors they own. And that got me to wondering if there are any other hidden / obscure reasons that I might want to own them myself.
NPCs might be limited in fleet size, but there is nothing aside from time and your CPU power from you camping out in one tiny section of the galaxy and making a fleet that can curbstomp all the other factions combined.

BelatedHero
x4

Post by BelatedHero » Sun, 20. Jun 21, 06:50

There is one effect I have found that has a substantial impact. Factions will not invade another faction (even to attack Xenon) if they don't border their enemy. Though the Terran Intervention Core ships seem to be an exception.

So if you want to stop factions from invading each other, you can claim a sector and it will be like a DMZ buffer. I've done this twice. Once to stop the Xenon from getting wiped out entirely, and a second to protect ZYA from a very powerful ARG in my world.

Also, I have seen factions disassemble their existing stations after I claim a sector (though it takes a really really long time, like dozens of hours). So you can have them reduce their station count peacefully, other than that part where you destroy the defense stations.

KextV8
x4

Post by KextV8 » Sun, 20. Jun 21, 17:59

There are a few. Mostly choosing what goods are and aren't legal. As well as creating buffers between factions, and being able to rename sectors however you want.

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Sun, 20. Jun 21, 19:57

KextV8 wrote:
Sun, 20. Jun 21, 17:59
There are a few. Mostly choosing what goods are and aren't legal. As well as creating buffers between factions, and being able to rename sectors however you want.
You can essentially use your sector as a Pirate Region if you want a Pirate Playthrough?

Claim the Sector and make everything illegal and let the Fighters go around robbing.. I mean.. Seizing illegal goods. :)
Falcrack wrote:
strask412 wrote:
Sun, 20. Jun 21, 01:37

Not if you are playing a Conquerors build?
But I agree when it comes to lack of content it would be nice to have more content around owning a Sector? Special Missions that are Unlocked or events that happen that require decision making?
Ragna-Tech.. Forging a Better Tomorrow!

My most annoying Bugs list 6.0 Beta 4 + [All DLC]
--------------------------------
Nvidium Worshop Animation Enlarge Broken :(
Building Modules causes low frame rate :o
Massive Framerate drops freezing game! :doh:
Save Corrupted Fixed the Crash! :-D

Alm888
x4

Post by Alm888 » Sun, 20. Jun 21, 20:22

And who that trade ship you are about to board will call for help if it is YOU, who owns the sector?

Yeah, my little Teladi friend, be my guest, try to call a sector security, mwha-ha-ha-ha! :twisted:

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Sun, 20. Jun 21, 20:28

Alm888 wrote:
Sun, 20. Jun 21, 20:22
And who that trade ship you are about to board will call for help if it is YOU, who owns the sector?

Yeah, my little Teladi friend, be my guest, try to call a sector security, mwha-ha-ha-ha! :twisted:
"Your call is very important to us..." :lol:
Ragna-Tech.. Forging a Better Tomorrow!

My most annoying Bugs list 6.0 Beta 4 + [All DLC]
--------------------------------
Nvidium Worshop Animation Enlarge Broken :(
Building Modules causes low frame rate :o
Massive Framerate drops freezing game! :doh:
Save Corrupted Fixed the Crash! :-D

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Sun, 20. Jun 21, 22:08

What ego could add is if you own a sector and npc stations are in it operating then they must pay to be able to trade in your space also that fee goes into sector policing upkeep fund really imo as ur gona be patrolling for pirates xenon and khaak attacks. It could be automated by if 1 station is in ur space then u get every ingame 24hrs a x amount and be scaled.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

sh1pman
x4

Post by sh1pman » Mon, 21. Jun 21, 02:48

Other factions won’t build in your sector, so you get more space for your own stations. Their police won’t harass your freighters constantly. Buying new station plots will be free. But I guess all of that applies to neutral sectors as well.

mediacenter
x4

Post by mediacenter » Mon, 21. Jun 21, 03:37

sh1pman wrote:
Mon, 21. Jun 21, 02:48
Other factions won’t build in your sector, so you get more space for your own stations. Their police won’t harass your freighters constantly. Buying new station plots will be free. But I guess all of that applies to neutral sectors as well.
thats not true

i own every hop space now and ant keep building in true sight
im mad right now becouse

1 i really want my space to be clear of every npc station but i need to go to war to do that
2 my sector are flooded by miners ant/arg/par/tel and i can do shit about that without again go to war with every race

i will be happy if ego add the possibility to

make an embargo on my sector, no trade/mining allowed, if npc dont give a duck, i am allowed to shoot them down without rep loss
npc have to ask my permission to build in my space and i can remove that permission at any given time (maybe paying some kind of compensation to do that, like the cost of every module x 10)

Mistle

Post by Mistle » Mon, 21. Jun 21, 09:35

make an embargo on my sector, no trade/mining allowed, if npc dont give a duck, i am allowed to shoot them down without rep loss
npc have to ask my permission to build in my space and i can remove that permission at any given time (maybe paying some kind of compensation to do that, like the cost of every module x 10)
Agree, my sector = my rules. Removing permission to build, taxes for mining and flying through sector.
Failure to comply with the rules will be punished by confiscation of ships and so on :D
Last edited by Alan Phipps on Mon, 21. Jun 21, 10:44, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Sorted quote

Lazerius
x4

Post by Lazerius » Mon, 21. Jun 21, 18:19

I'm hoping Egosoft will let us Terraform planets in systems we own, rather than just as part of missions.

With that, I'm hoping they make some of the buildings/features you can do while terraforming actually have an impact on the zone. With the flavor text of a few of the things, they make me think they could eventually impact things like starting Pilot skills of new pilots at Shipyards in that zone. If that's the eventual plan, you could improve things like this only in the zones you own so the NPC factions wouldn't also get that bonus.
All your Hyperion Vanguards are belong to us.

dark7np
x4

Post by dark7np » Mon, 21. Jun 21, 20:06

Oy, that would be amazing... Have crew on wharfs / shipyards in sectors where there's an aerial maze / martial arts academy be of higher skill... :o

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Mon, 21. Jun 21, 20:25

I just realized that using owned sectors as a buffer might be a good way to save the Xenons... :D
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

BelatedHero
x4

Post by BelatedHero » Tue, 22. Jun 21, 06:49

Ezarkal wrote:
Mon, 21. Jun 21, 20:25
I just realized that using owned sectors as a buffer might be a good way to save the Xenons... :D
It works very well. But remember that the terrans have their Intervention fleets that will still fly through your sector to attack the xenon. I set an alert for when a Terran XL ship enters the sector. I then kill the Asgard or Tokyo in Xenon space. Usually that is enough to allow the xenon to kill the rest, or cause the Terrans to retreat. It causes a small loss in rep, but one kill every few hours is not bad.

Nort The Fragrent
x4

Post by Nort The Fragrent » Tue, 22. Jun 21, 19:25

My last long game had 22 greened sectors, cool one might think!
You gain nothing from going green, You lose heaps putting in Admin modules.
And the map begins to look rather boring with everything green.

For the moment, and in my current game I am not bother to even try to go green.

There is no point to it.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Zloth2
x4

Post by Zloth2 » Wed, 23. Jun 21, 03:35

You could make that part of an end goal. Destroy the Xenon, take sectors that act as borders between warring factions (or just take over the warring factions), and establish peace. Make one last save called Pax Romana, burn it to a CD, and put it on a shelf somewhere.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home
and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here! It's wondrous, with
treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross, but it's not for the
timid." ---- Q

Diroc
x4

Post by Diroc » Thu, 24. Jun 21, 22:20

1) Boarding ships in your space only causes the ship you board and the fleet to which it's attached to become aggressive. (As well as their consumeables like defense drones and laser towers)
1b) No faction hits for attacking ships in your space. (Destruction of stations, ships and ship equipment, Consumeables does carry a faction hit)
This may seem like splitting hairs but there is a difference. Most notably, as sector security, you are empowered to sway the outcomes of battles in your space signifigantly (Without a faction hit from either side if you are careful not to destroy anything).

2) You control which goods are illegal in your space.

3) Station plots are free in your sectors.

4) Traffic through the sector is based on your standing with the appropriate factions. (Trade ships are less likely to pass through a warring faction's sectors)

Return to “X4: Foundations”