I don't understand sector ownership benefits

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Ezarkal
x4

Re: I don't understand sector ownership benefits

Post by Ezarkal » Mon, 21. Jun 21, 20:25

I just realized that using owned sectors as a buffer might be a good way to save the Xenons... :D
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

BelatedHero
x4

Post by BelatedHero » Tue, 22. Jun 21, 06:49

Ezarkal wrote:
Mon, 21. Jun 21, 20:25
I just realized that using owned sectors as a buffer might be a good way to save the Xenons... :D
It works very well. But remember that the terrans have their Intervention fleets that will still fly through your sector to attack the xenon. I set an alert for when a Terran XL ship enters the sector. I then kill the Asgard or Tokyo in Xenon space. Usually that is enough to allow the xenon to kill the rest, or cause the Terrans to retreat. It causes a small loss in rep, but one kill every few hours is not bad.

Nort The Fragrent
x4

Post by Nort The Fragrent » Tue, 22. Jun 21, 19:25

My last long game had 22 greened sectors, cool one might think!
You gain nothing from going green, You lose heaps putting in Admin modules.
And the map begins to look rather boring with everything green.

For the moment, and in my current game I am not bother to even try to go green.

There is no point to it.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Zloth2
x4

Post by Zloth2 » Wed, 23. Jun 21, 03:35

You could make that part of an end goal. Destroy the Xenon, take sectors that act as borders between warring factions (or just take over the warring factions), and establish peace. Make one last save called Pax Romana, burn it to a CD, and put it on a shelf somewhere.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home
and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here! It's wondrous, with
treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross, but it's not for the
timid." ---- Q

Diroc
x4

Post by Diroc » Thu, 24. Jun 21, 22:20

1) Boarding ships in your space only causes the ship you board and the fleet to which it's attached to become aggressive. (As well as their consumeables like defense drones and laser towers)
1b) No faction hits for attacking ships in your space. (Destruction of stations, ships and ship equipment, Consumeables does carry a faction hit)
This may seem like splitting hairs but there is a difference. Most notably, as sector security, you are empowered to sway the outcomes of battles in your space signifigantly (Without a faction hit from either side if you are careful not to destroy anything).

2) You control which goods are illegal in your space.

3) Station plots are free in your sectors.

4) Traffic through the sector is based on your standing with the appropriate factions. (Trade ships are less likely to pass through a warring faction's sectors)

Zloth2
x4

Post by Zloth2 » Sat, 26. Jun 21, 04:21

1 and 3 are true in neutral sectors, too. But taking a sector insures that it will stay that way.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home
and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here! It's wondrous, with
treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross, but it's not for the
timid." ---- Q

strask412
x4

Post by strask412 » Tue, 29. Jun 21, 11:29

Diroc wrote:
Thu, 24. Jun 21, 22:20
1) Boarding ships in your space only causes the ship you board and the fleet to which it's attached to become aggressive. (As well as their consumeables like defense drones and laser towers)
1b) No faction hits for attacking ships in your space. (Destruction of stations, ships and ship equipment, Consumeables does carry a faction hit)
This may seem like splitting hairs but there is a difference. Most notably, as sector security, you are empowered to sway the outcomes of battles in your space signifigantly (Without a faction hit from either side if you are careful not to destroy anything).

4) Traffic through the sector is based on your standing with the appropriate factions. (Trade ships are less likely to pass through a warring faction's sectors)
#1 is pretty much true anywhere, as long as you only launch boarding pods and not anything more destructive.
#1b is noteworthy, thanks.
#2 I wish I cared about, but the things I'd want to make illegal aren't on the list. I want to outlaw mines, tracker mines, and space fly eggs.
#3 is trivial, but yes.
#4 is ... interesting. I wonder why MIN task forces keep visiting my only owned sector in Tharka's Fall. Hmph. They probably have other reasons.

Thanks to all for the interesting discussion so far. :)
"If I were a shadowy nemesis that wanted to strike the Protectorate where it's weakest, Pioneers space is where I'd begin."
- Delilah Shiratori

Diroc
x4

Post by Diroc » Mon, 12. Jul 21, 09:32

strask412 wrote:
Tue, 29. Jun 21, 11:29
Diroc wrote:
Thu, 24. Jun 21, 22:20

#1 is pretty much true anywhere, as long as you only launch boarding pods and not anything more destructive.
#1b is noteworthy, thanks.
#2 I wish I cared about, but the things I'd want to make illegal aren't on the list. I want to outlaw mines, tracker mines, and space fly eggs.
#3 is trivial, but yes.
#4 is ... interesting. I wonder why MIN task forces keep visiting my only owned sector in Tharka's Fall. Hmph. They probably have other reasons.

Thanks to all for the interesting discussion so far. :)
With regards to 1, I capture lots of capital ships (With a Dragon Raider) by dropping their hull below 75% and hammering their shields till most of the crew bail. If there are no marines left you win with a minimal number of marines. (No losses) if you can land the pod. Even works on Asgards if you can spare 5-8 hours for a lesser crewed Asgard. (4 Ion2, 2 Tau2, 2 Plasma turrets and very careful heat management) As mentioned in 1b, don't target equipment or drones. Xenon space, Unclaimed or Owned sectors and sectors not explicitly friendly to the target capital are your only option in this situation. Blind spots For the win :wink:

MatthewK
x4

Post by MatthewK » Mon, 12. Jul 21, 12:58

Also, #2 seems to be broken at the moment, or at the very least it's not really anymore beneficial than straight up going violent, as you still get rep loss if you try to enforce your rights regarding illegal goods. See my other thread for details:

viewtopic.php?f=146&t=440564

oddible
x4

Post by oddible » Tue, 10. Aug 21, 18:58

Mistle wrote:
Mon, 21. Jun 21, 09:35
make an embargo on my sector, no trade/mining allowed, if npc dont give a duck, i am allowed to shoot them down without rep loss
npc have to ask my permission to build in my space and i can remove that permission at any given time (maybe paying some kind of compensation to do that, like the cost of every module x 10)
Agree, my sector = my rules. Removing permission to build, taxes for mining and flying through sector.
Failure to comply with the rules will be punished by confiscation of ships and so on :D
Wait, is this true? If you mark everything illegal you don't suffer rep loss if you pop an AI ship in a player owned sector?

Return to “X4: Foundations”