May we please get axis markers in the station builder?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

strask412
x4

May we please get axis markers in the station builder?

Post by strask412 » Fri, 18. Jun 21, 22:53

When beginning to build a new station on a new plot, it is very difficult to discern in the station builder the direction the pier modules will point on the actual map once built. The workaround is to begin a build with one module, save it, then exit the station builder and zoom in on the map to see the outline of the planned module and figure out what that means in terms of the plot's orientation on the map.

It would be SO much easier if the station builder included those +/- x, y, and z markers like the map does.

Thanks devs for any consideration of this.
"If I were a shadowy nemesis that wanted to strike the Protectorate where it's weakest, Pioneers space is where I'd begin."
- Delilah Shiratori

Ezarkal
x4

Re: May we please get axis markers in the station builder?

Post by Ezarkal » Sat, 19. Jun 21, 02:20

I fully agree with this.

I used to do your trick, but for me this one is even simpler: When you set-up the building plot, you don't rotate it. Then when you enter the building mode, you're looking at a top view of the station with the axis being aligned with the map's direction (top of the screen = "north" of the map). Place a module for directional marker and you're good to rotate your camera.
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Sat, 19. Jun 21, 03:34

I'm fully on board with this.

I normally place an ECell module first, just to see which direction my plot is facing, and how I want to orient my station. Would love to not have to do that.
-----------------------

Not trying to hijack, but I'm going to add one small request as it is very similar...

Also, I'm going to request orientation markers for editing defense modules.

This is a very common defense station build for me when I'm playing as Split, but I tend to do similar builds as any faction.

This piece, unless I'm missing something, gives me no idea which way it is facing. This is a problem for pretty much every defense module...

For this station, it doesn't really need turrets on the inward facing side. Or if I put turrets on the inward facing side, it might use beams instead of flak or pulse. Often times I have to fly out to my defense station, after the station and turrets are all built, and then adjust them inside the build plan after looking at each piece individually. It would be awesome if there was a way, maybe an indicator that showed which sides have attachments to other modules... that way I could see how it is attaching, and how I want to setup my turrets. It would save me a lot of time and heartache... and it isn't just SPL modules either, pretty much every defense module has this same issue... of i have no idea where it is faced... so if I want to install or not install turrets, or i want certain turrets in a certain area... i just have to go out to the module personally and see how it's built.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 19. Jun 21, 12:34

I fully support grapedog on this request. With argon defence modules such as disks, you can clearly see which is top or bottom, but have no idea on that top or bottom which of the pairs of turrets are outermost and thus need the longer-range/anti-capital weapons and which are inboard and might be better with shorter range/anti-fighter weapons.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Zloth2
x4

Post by Zloth2 » Sat, 19. Jun 21, 13:48

X/Y/Z is still a bit confusing (it's always strange to me that X games use Y as up/down) but they would certainly help. An arrow outside the build box pointing toward the nearest gate/highway would help me more. Maybe show two arrows if two sector entrances are roughly the same distance? (Three in Nop's Fortune 4!)

For module build-out, it would be doubly hard to use X/Y/Z. I'm sure it would be harder to code, but a nearly-transparent drawing of the rest of the station would help a lot. (X/Y/Z would still be needed for isolated parts.)
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home
and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here! It's wondrous, with
treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross, but it's not for the
timid." ---- Q

strask412
x4

Post by strask412 » Sun, 20. Jun 21, 01:43

Zloth2 wrote:
Sat, 19. Jun 21, 13:48
X/Y/Z is still a bit confusing (it's always strange to me that X games use Y as up/down) but they would certainly help. An arrow outside the build box pointing toward the nearest gate/highway would help me more. Maybe show two arrows if two sector entrances are roughly the same distance? (Three in Nop's Fortune 4!)

For module build-out, it would be doubly hard to use X/Y/Z. I'm sure it would be harder to code, but a nearly-transparent drawing of the rest of the station would help a lot. (X/Y/Z would still be needed for isolated parts.)
Thanks for pointing this out; I am no game designer and while the x/y/z axis markers were the first idea that entered my mind, other visual aids to help us orient the station within the sector, and the modules within the station, and the guns on the modules, would be amazing. :) Fully agree with all above posters.
"If I were a shadowy nemesis that wanted to strike the Protectorate where it's weakest, Pioneers space is where I'd begin."
- Delilah Shiratori

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Sun, 20. Jun 21, 03:59

At least for my request, something simple like this would solve most of the problems with defensive pieces. It shows me how it is connected, and from there I can figure out the rest pretty easily.

Though we still need to have an indicator showing up which way the plot is oriented.... maybe something super simple like a knot on one side of the box, something i can visually see and spin the plot to point it the right way... but then also see it when i start construction. Maybe like this?

edjc
x4

Post by edjc » Mon, 21. Jun 21, 18:03

I think one line that orients to the placed box is all you need as long as it shows in the build box too. This way you orient the line to where you want your pier to point and use that for alignment the build mode. This will also help with sizing your box in the right orientation to fit those E style piers so they fit. Showing a full axis may still make it more confusing to align.

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Mon, 21. Jun 21, 21:21

grapedog wrote:
Sat, 19. Jun 21, 03:34
This is a very common defense station build for me when I'm playing as Split, but I tend to do similar builds as any faction.
I love it. Very cool design.

Zloth2 wrote:
Sat, 19. Jun 21, 13:48
it's always strange to me that X games use Y as up/down
I think it's convention for 3D drawing.

Problem is many other systems will use Cartesian coordinates, where the Z axis is for elevation. I think people are more used to that logic.
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

Zloth2
x4

Post by Zloth2 » Tue, 22. Jun 21, 02:50

Ezarkal wrote:
Mon, 21. Jun 21, 21:21
Problem is many other systems will use Cartesian coordinates, where the Z axis is for elevation.
Star Trek says it's up and down: https://youtu.be/RbTUTNenvCY?t=10

There is no higher source. ;)
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home
and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here! It's wondrous, with
treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross, but it's not for the
timid." ---- Q

Nort The Fragrent
x4

Post by Nort The Fragrent » Tue, 22. Jun 21, 04:10

A build orientation marker was requested not long after the X4 game was first released.
!
Still waiting. :rofl:

I position my ship in the direction I want the cube to face,
Rotate the plot to line up with the ship
place one single pier, then rotate the pier 180.
This allows any new pier to enter the plot in its default direction and not be stopped by the first pier.
so, only 1 pier, then exit the build, and see where the faint pier is placed.
This is a pain,
I would also like a light direction arrow from the local sun, so to get the EC panel orientated correctly.
Nothing worse than a EC panel facing away from the sun.
:(

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Tue, 22. Jun 21, 05:03

Nort The Fragrent wrote:
Tue, 22. Jun 21, 04:10

I would also like a light direction arrow from the local sun, so to get the EC panel orientated correctly.
Nothing worse than a EC panel facing away from the sun.
:(
I do this too for my stations, but i just teleport onto a ship in that sector, and see whete the sun is.

Return to “X4: Foundations”