Find Ore (0.54 / km3) Are these missions a joke?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

ZaphodBeeblebrox
x4

Find Ore (0.54 / km3) Are these missions a joke?

Post by ZaphodBeeblebrox » Fri, 18. Jun 21, 11:30

I have tried several of these missions recently and have aborted them due to:

a) I can't find a density matching that requirement, after a couple of dozen probe placements.
b) the probe readings I have found are way short of the requested value.
c) Watching paint dry is a more interesting hobby.
d) I suspect the requested value is actually not achieveable.

Has anybody found a good way of finding the required density?
It was a woman who drove me to drink... you know I never went back and thanked her.

Don't try to outweird me, three-eyes. I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Find Ore (0.54 / km3) Are these missions a joke?

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 18. Jun 21, 11:38

Well there are many similar reports (one example) and perhaps some reason to hope for the future - see Bernd's penultimate paragraph in this post and it has been hinted by another dev that the LR scanner might be involved in the improvement to high level resource-finding.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

ZaphodBeeblebrox
x4

Post by ZaphodBeeblebrox » Fri, 18. Jun 21, 11:44

Thanks Alan. We like having hopes for the future.

[Edit] I have just noticed that the density as reported by my probes changes over time due to mining activity.

So it might well be that the target will only be achieved if the resource has not been mined at that location for some time.
It was a woman who drove me to drink... you know I never went back and thanked her.

Don't try to outweird me, three-eyes. I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Kajar
x4

Post by Kajar » Fri, 18. Jun 21, 14:21

I think that is the requirement for the total amount found. If you place multiple probes with the mission active, they all count towards the requested yield.
At least to me it feels like that, as i have so far completed every mission of this type simply by placing a few more probes in the sector, while none of them alone reached the requested value.

dark7np
x4

Post by dark7np » Fri, 18. Jun 21, 14:44

I've had this mission in Hatikvah's Choice III, and as you said I did not really enjoy it. I solved it by flying around in scanning mode (Shift 2) and SINZA, using the "press shift 2 and 4 fast enough to activate both" glitch in parts. This way I tried to find regions where I saw a number of resource asteroids which I then checked with resource probes. After some tries I succeeded, but it was not really a directed search. Lots of trial and error included. I am also pretty sure that you need 0.54 current yield, not max yield. Currently my winning probe shows "Ore: 0.11 / km³ (1.4 / km³)" and would not suffice. I'm not actually sure that mission is doable in all cases for regions that are close being mined out.

kmunoz
x4

Post by kmunoz » Fri, 18. Jun 21, 16:33

aversin wrote:
Fri, 18. Jun 21, 14:21
I think that is the requirement for the total amount found. If you place multiple probes with the mission active, they all count towards the requested yield.
At least to me it feels like that, as i have so far completed every mission of this type simply by placing a few more probes in the sector, while none of them alone reached the requested value.
I'm nearly 100% certain that's incorrect. If you place a probe that is 0.1 short of the requirement, and then another that is also 0.1 short of the requirement, the mission does not complete.
Let's Play Poorly! - Suboptimal X4 Playthroughs

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Fri, 18. Jun 21, 16:49

aversin wrote:
That's how I personally would like it to work, with 1 probe per unique resource field counting towards the total. But it is not how it works.

These missions can either be the easiest, or the most impossible missions in the game, so I usually avoid long mission chains if they contain them.

Aegir86
x4

Post by Aegir86 » Fri, 18. Jun 21, 17:13

Easily one of the worst mission sets ever, and there is an abundance of them collectively across the common wealth. I try to avoid them as best as I can but they are even apart of the multi stage missions that yield rewards I need for mods and seminars.

Initially I tried to justify grinding through them because it allowed me to collect information about potential mining sites, but then again seeing that I've never seen my miners use the probes correctly yet another moot point.

2 big Egosoft thumbs up.

Stingads_Gsöchts
x4

Post by Stingads_Gsöchts » Fri, 18. Jun 21, 21:59

Wait until you get a mission to Scan Xenon ships for water. That's fun. Never seen a single Xenon carrying water...
Cockpits!

Gregorovitch
x4

Post by Gregorovitch » Fri, 18. Jun 21, 23:10

kmunoz wrote:
Fri, 18. Jun 21, 16:33
aversin wrote:
I'm nearly 100% certain that's incorrect. If you place a probe that is 0.1 short of the requirement, and then another that is also 0.1 short of the requirement, the mission does not complete.
I'm also more or less 100% sure that's incorrect. You have to drop a probe that has => the specified yield.

@OP: these missions are really useful for farming pilot seminars. They are also (mostly) very easy if you prepare for them in advance by fully probing up the sectors the relevant trade guild covers. And it's also easy to fully probe them up - you just fill a scout with probes and carpet drop them over a sector with chained commands. Then when you get a mission the chances are there's aleady a probe with the required yield so you just fly up to it and drop another next to it. There are some that are a bit more difficult but they often give higher level pilot seminars too so it's worth putting a little more effort if necessary because most likely it'll be repeated giving you quite a lot of good seminars.

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Sat, 19. Jun 21, 02:14

Since the mining changes in 4.00, I slowly set up a network of probes in most mining sectors of my game, keeping only the probes with the best yields and collecting back the others for further exploration. The end-result is I have 1-3 probes in most mining sectors, usually in good spots.
Now these missions are a cake walk.

It takes a while to set up, but it's the kind of thing where you start small and local, and eventually you get with a good network. The trick is to have most of the dropping and collecting done by your subordinates. 3-4 ships with queued drop orders will map a sector in no time. You queue up the useless probe's collection the same way. Don't do it in a single go either, you'll get bored by the grind. Just do 1-2 sectors here and there when you have a downtime.
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

ZaphodBeeblebrox
x4

Post by ZaphodBeeblebrox » Sat, 19. Jun 21, 08:14

I finally finished the find resources. As I said the field was slowly recovering, after a period of an hour or so the yield was back up.
I had never noticed before, that the probes where indicating changes as mining happened.

@Ezarkal you must have a lot more patience that I have. What I now want, is to be able to load up a scout ship, and send it off prospecting.

@Gregorovitch I use them for the exact same reason. Farming seminars for pilots and managers.

Return to “X4: Foundations”