What about Collision damage?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

NiAypa
x4

What about Collision damage?

Post by NiAypa » Wed, 16. Jun 21, 22:38

Hi,

I wonder when collision damage will be (re-) introduced into the game.

I think that since its release, X4 has matured in many ways. Yet, for me the absence of collision damage makes it feel very different from past X games. It just seems to be far less of a dangerous universe.
Collision damage is not all that causes that for me, boosting/travel drive also add to this, just because you can most of the time just run away from an engagement, even if you are already damaged (just need a few seconds to travel away).
I like the fact that you introduced explosion damage in the current beta (even more so when it will be balanced).

So why not reintroduce collision damage? It just is not very immersive when you collide with an asteroid at full speed, and instead of dying you glitch into the asteroid :D

Are there any plans to do this anytime soon? I mean, it has worked in other X games, and yes I know X4 is more complex than those (in terms of programming), so why not give it a try? For me it seems it would be a good time now, as the game is overall very enjoyable already, so why not put down things that make it still feel a little bit like a beta^^ I just wanted to bring that up because not much is talked about this. What do you think?

Finally I would like to thank the people at egosoft for making this amazing game ;)

tagelicht

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: What about Collision damage?

Post by Imperial Good » Wed, 16. Jun 21, 23:11

Collision damage still exists, just collision hull damage is disabled. How much shield damage you take would be a good indicator as to what would happen to your hull. It was removed due to the tendency for the auto pilot to wipe you out by entering gates sidewards at high speed, as well as wiping yourself out going through jump gates because there was a L or XL ship in front of you. Another case was that bouncing off an object into another surface of that object would count as separate impacts each bounce so could quickly melt away ships even at lowish speeds.

If it were to be added back, I would recommend a 10th to 25th reduction in hull damage taken and that collision hull damage can only be taken once every few seconds rather than every impact. This way massive impacts will damage your hull but are unlikely to out right kill you from full hull even at very high speeds.

KextV8
x4

Post by KextV8 » Wed, 16. Jun 21, 23:36

Because all the npcs would die when player was in sector. The autopilot crashes more often than windows me.

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Wed, 16. Jun 21, 23:54

The game still has to mature a lot for collision damage to be viable. The AI pathfinding still can't calculate geometry/asteroids properly. And let's not talk about ships exiting jumpgates/superhighways at mach 999 speeds.

V1.0 had collision damage enabled. If you weren't careful enough, a ship exiting a superhighway easily mowed you down like fine grass.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Thu, 17. Jun 21, 00:38

How about reintroducing collision damage, but only for times when the player is in direct control of the ship? If the player is controlling the ship and collides with another ship or station, then both the player ship and the object the player collides with receive some collision damage. Any other collisions that occur as a result of autopilot or from an NPC colliding with some other object would not result in collision damage.

NiAypa
x4

Post by NiAypa » Thu, 17. Jun 21, 01:17

I like that idea :) It would be a creative way of overcoming the problems mentioned^^

Berserk Knight
x4

Post by Berserk Knight » Thu, 17. Jun 21, 03:33

I turned full collision damage on in my game, and when an Arawn I ported (with about 20 launch tubes filling the front "gap") launchs a ton of fighters and drones, I always see a couple explosions amidst the wall of engine trails.
That, and I've accidentally killed mass traffic ships with collision damage more times than I can count.

BelatedHero
x4

Post by BelatedHero » Fri, 18. Jun 21, 05:25

I prefer collision damage off. The threat of collisions in X3 was one of the biggest sources of stress and it was felt every time you fly through a gate. It was very off putting.

Losing your shields is already a penalty in combat situations. Fly your fighter into that K or I and you need to hurry to a safe spot to recharge.

NightmareNight91
x4

Post by NightmareNight91 » Fri, 18. Jun 21, 06:06

I would want it back on, makes you have to actually learn to fly.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Fri, 18. Jun 21, 06:19

NightmareNight91 wrote:
Fri, 18. Jun 21, 06:06
Have it on for just the player, I doubt the AI will ever learn to fly.

NightmareNight91
x4

Post by NightmareNight91 » Fri, 18. Jun 21, 13:27

Falcrack wrote:
Fri, 18. Jun 21, 06:19
NightmareNight91 wrote:
Fri, 18. Jun 21, 06:06
Have it on for just the player, I doubt the AI will ever learn to fly.
No they wont, id be fine with it being just on for the player. Maybe make it optional in settings for people that like bouncing off stuff like a plastic toy...

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Fri, 18. Jun 21, 13:33

I look at the FL forums recently and I'm glad the devs have the foresight to remove collision damage.

Raevyan
x4

Post by Raevyan » Fri, 18. Jun 21, 18:41

Unless Egosoft is able to get someone sorting out pathing ai, collision Hull damage is not going to happen.

garffield
x4

Post by garffield » Wed, 23. Jun 21, 08:08

So well, I hope Egosoft will never sort it out as I would not want collsion damage to be introduced

mediacenter
x4

Post by mediacenter » Wed, 23. Jun 21, 16:46

please no collision damage

i mean, i like collision damage, ramming your enemy its pretty fun and all, but i dont like the idea of wait 5 minutes reloading a save becouse i clip into another ship just parked outside the gate
or die hugging an asteroid with autopilot on, or ping pong trhoug tunnel and stuff with my spacesuit

Casishur
x4

Post by Casishur » Wed, 23. Jun 21, 17:51

From time to time you collide with the event horizon of the gates.
As often as I would have been game over at the gate passage, if the collision damage would be there again.
CPU Typ Ryzen 9 3900x
Grafikkarte Radeon RX 6600 XT 8GB
Arbeitsspeicher: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4 3200MHz
Motherboard Name/Typ MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Win 10 64 bit

Betty : Autopilot.... hat.... total Versagt.

Twitch https://www.twitch.tv/Casishur

Return to “X4: Foundations”