Removed from 4.10 progress thread

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Lazerius
x4

Removed from 4.10 progress thread

Post by Lazerius » Thu, 10. Jun 21, 22:22

grapedog wrote:
Tue, 8. Jun 21, 23:19
Lazerius wrote:
Tue, 8. Jun 21, 16:21
When the multiverse changes go live, will the old way of doing ventures also be an option?

Ventures have always been my primary way of getting the necessary Mod parts to trick out ships I want to use. I'm beginning to run low on some of them, and I'm not going to grind missions just at a CHANCE of finding a mission to give me a single Exceptional Shield Generator Coil, especially when tricking out a single Asgard takes 13 of them.

With how this game tends to weigh Mod RNG rolls towards the very low end, changing to requiring players to waste hours to acquire the necessary parts, I'll just consider Ship Modding to be a write off for me in my Vanilla game.

Unless they're constantly monitored and setup for overkill, Ships are intended to be disposable in this game. Mod parts should NOT be so tedious to acquire as they currently are without ventures.
You use exceptionals on sub components? I don't trick out the sub shields at all...
That's nice. Quite Irrelevant to my point, though...
grapedog wrote:
Tue, 8. Jun 21, 23:19
you don't have to do random missions, you just pick thr missions that offer what you are looking for. Also, do the missions for reward L miners, they come with an exceptional and blue mod.
What exactly does that have to do with losing the most reliable way of acquiring those parts that's been around practically since launch?

As I already stated, if they don't bring that back, I'm writing off mods as part of my Vanilla game, and from the sounds of things, their new mode isn't something I'll have any interest in playing.
All your Hyperion Vanguards are belong to us.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Re: Update 4.10 - Overview of progress and plans

Post by GCU Grey Area » Thu, 10. Jun 21, 23:49

Lazerius wrote:
Thu, 10. Jun 21, 22:22
What exactly does that have to do with losing the most reliable way of acquiring those parts that's been around practically since launch?
Reliable? Strange word to use for a random process with absolutely no guarantee of which type of mod you were going to get several hours later.

Very much prefer to get them from missions. I can get far more of them in the same amount of time as it took for a Venture ship to return, I can run multiple missions simultaneously (& delegate most of the actual tasks to other ships), & I know before starting each mission precisely which type of mod I'm going to get at the end of it. That seems a lot more reliable to me.

Only things I really miss from the Ventures are the paint mods. Can get a few of those from missions (particularly like Vindicator), but I've got nowhere near the variety or quantity I was previously getting from Ventures.

Lazerius
x4

Post by Lazerius » Fri, 11. Jun 21, 18:30

GCU Grey Area wrote:
Thu, 10. Jun 21, 23:49
Lazerius wrote:
Thu, 10. Jun 21, 22:22
Reliable? Strange word to use for a random process with absolutely no guarantee of which type of mod you were going to get several hours later.

Very much prefer to get them from missions. I can get far more of them in the same amount of time as it took for a Venture ship to return, I can run multiple missions simultaneously (& delegate most of the actual tasks to other ships), & I know before starting each mission precisely which type of mod I'm going to get at the end of it. That seems a lot more reliable to me.

Only things I really miss from the Ventures are the paint mods. Can get a few of those from missions (particularly like Vindicator), but I've got nowhere near the variety or quantity I was previously getting from Ventures.
Reliable, yes, that's what I said. Because I only mod a ship once in a blue moon, and it's a ship I plan to use for my personal fleet or for fun, instead of being fodder in one of the hundreds of other fleets I have. Prior to COH, I had over 100 of each stockpiled solely from Ventures. After playing with a couple of the Terran ships, I'm now completely out of high end weapon mods, and nearly out of high end shields.

Make sense?

I have Many thousands of ships and Hundreds of stations with billions upon billions of credits, so frankly running missions solely for mod components is beneath me at this point. It made far more sense when I could send one of my peons into the vastness of space for a few days and return with something useful. Now, without a replacement method that allows me to appropriately utilize one of my resources to take care of the busy work of gathering them for me, I won't be able to mod ships out at all.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Fri, 11. Jun 21, 19:36

Lazerius wrote:
Fri, 11. Jun 21, 18:30
Make sense?
Oh, I understand you, I'm just still not convinced that reliable's how I'd describe Ventures. Frequent source of disappointment was more my experience, mostly along the lines of "oh great, it's another bloody hull (or engine) mod. Got a ton of those already, only need one per ship. Why can't my damn Venture ship get me more weapon mods? It's been days since the last one". At least with missions if they're offering me a weapon mod to steal a ship for SCA, or blow up a station for one of the other factions, I know the reward is guaranteed to be a weapon mod. Really quite enjoy doing that sort of stuff anyway, so it's hardly an imposition. For the rest of the mods it's mostly just a matter opening the map & ordering one of my ships to deploy sats, laser towers, mines, etc - couple of mouse clicks & the job's done as far as I'm concerned, though it might take a few more minutes for that ship to complete the task for me.

Lazerius
x4

Post by Lazerius » Mon, 14. Jun 21, 19:59

GCU Grey Area wrote:
Fri, 11. Jun 21, 19:36
Lazerius wrote:
Fri, 11. Jun 21, 18:30
Make sense?
Oh, I understand you, I'm just still not convinced that reliable's how I'd describe Ventures. Frequent source of disappointment was more my experience, mostly along the lines of "oh great, it's another bloody hull (or engine) mod. Got a ton of those already, only need one per ship. Why can't my damn Venture ship get me more weapon mods? It's been days since the last one". At least with missions if they're offering me a weapon mod to steal a ship for SCA, or blow up a station for one of the other factions, I know the reward is guaranteed to be a weapon mod. Really quite enjoy doing that sort of stuff anyway, so it's hardly an imposition. For the rest of the mods it's mostly just a matter opening the map & ordering one of my ships to deploy sats, laser towers, mines, etc - couple of mouse clicks & the job's done as far as I'm concerned, though it might take a few more minutes for that ship to complete the task for me.
I don't care if you find it reliable. It's worked great for me since the feature went in game.

You clearly Mod more than I do, so go ahead, do your missions.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Mon, 14. Jun 21, 21:28

Lazerius wrote:
Mon, 14. Jun 21, 19:59
I don't care if you find it reliable. It's worked great for me since the feature went in game.
The point is that if something is called "reliable", then reader gets an expectation. Similarly, calling a feature "utterly useless" would create an expectation. Neither is probably close to "agreeable truth".

Are there features that all agree to be "reliably useless"?
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Lazerius
x4

Post by Lazerius » Mon, 14. Jun 21, 22:21

jlehtone wrote:
Mon, 14. Jun 21, 21:28
Lazerius wrote:
Mon, 14. Jun 21, 19:59
The point is that if something is called "reliable", then reader gets an expectation. Similarly, calling a feature "utterly useless" would create an expectation. Neither is probably close to "agreeable truth".

Are there features that all agree to be "reliably useless"?
What the reader inteprets "reliable" to mean doesn't really matter. It's their own fault for not understanding the difference between reliability and efficiency.

Never once did I say relying solely on ventures was efficient. The simple fact is mod pieces have the same drop rate for each high end piece from ventures. Therefore if I don't mod for a long time, but do ventures every time it comes around, over time I received around the same amount of all of the primary mod pieces. Just because I don't get to choose the mod piece I need, doesn't mean it isn't a reliable source of mod pieces in general.

If you can explain to me how that's not reliable, I'm all ears.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Mon, 14. Jun 21, 22:51

Lazerius wrote:
Mon, 14. Jun 21, 22:21
It's their own fault for not understanding the difference between reliability and efficiency.
Now you're just being rude - I understand the meaning of those words perfectly well. Ventures have never been either a reliable or an efficient means of obtaining mods. Results are random & majority of the time did not provide what I wanted (hence not reliable). They also took many hours to provide a tiny number of mods (hence not efficient). End result was that, in earlier versions when I was relying on Ventures, I was often waiting several days to acquire enough mods to equip a new capital ship. In contrast, in the current version I can accomplish the same goal in a matter of hours by doing a few missions.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: Removed from 4.10 progress thread

Post by CBJ » Tue, 15. Jun 21, 01:54

I've removed this from the 4.10 plans thread, to which this is only tangentially related. Keep the discussion polite and friendly, or it will be locked.

Lazerius
x4

Post by Lazerius » Tue, 15. Jun 21, 02:08

CBJ wrote:
Tue, 15. Jun 21, 01:54
I've removed this from the 4.10 plans thread, to which this is only tangentially related. Keep the discussion polite and friendly, or it will be locked.
Feel free to lock it.

It’s just some snowflake unintelligibly arguing the semantics of the English language with me, and getting offended by proper usage of words. :lol:

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 15. Jun 21, 09:28

I will indeed lock it, and now you get a formal warning under rule 1 for your trouble.

Return to “X4: Foundations”