Good ideas that failed...

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

grapedog
x4

Good ideas that failed...

Post by grapedog » Sat, 12. Jun 21, 11:47

Just a spot, if anyone else is interested, in posting stories about how things didn't work out the way you wanted them to....

I'll start off with a story about how another one of my attemps to crap all over the hated, sleazy, dirty, yellow-bellied, lying Terrans, didn't work out so well....

In this save, I sided with the Yaki, so they're my buddies now, and I can build them ships. I thought a beautiful idea would be to build a Yaki only wharf deep inside Terran space, in this case Venus... just a stones throw from good ol earth. This would allow the Yaki to just stroll around deep in Terran territory and plunder, pirate, and generally torment Terran ships and stations...while also avoiding most of the nasty defense stations and big defense forces guarding gates. Now, wanting a torrent, not a trickle... I shut the wharf down for everyone, while it builds up stock. I also built a second station, a trading post in Getsu Fune, that only trades in shipbuilding wares... the idea is that Getsu Fune can drag parts in from the commonwealth, and then my shipyard in Venus can grab parts from the trading station in Getsu Fune. It works ok... not the best, but not bad. Takes a little while to stock up. Every 2 or 3 hours, I then open up shop on the wharf... within a few seconds, I'll be building 20+ kuraokamis, plus some moreyas. So far, everything seems to be working quite well....

The yaki ships get built! A mighty swarm of Yaki launch from my shipyard, ready to terrorize the Terrans! And then they.... leave.... they just head straight the hell out of the Terran systems as fast as their newly built engines can take em. It seems they've got a great great desire to go all the way to Savage Spur, to the shipyard I built for the Yaki there and then handed over to them. A few do get otherwise caught up along the way in various shenanigans... but by and large... the experiment is a failure. The Yaki don't torment the Terrans, and I spent a decent amount of cash building two stations, supplied all the needed ships and cash, to not see the job get done. They kill a few terran ships sometimes... but I've opened the wharfs floodgates 4 or 5 times, and most of the time, they just take the hell off, never to be seen again... certainly not in Terran space anyhow.

This one stings a little bit... i thought it was a great idea. And it totally backfired on me.... time to break it all down, move it, and do something else with it.... Ughh

Raptor34
x4

Re: Good ideas that failed...

Post by Raptor34 » Sat, 12. Jun 21, 12:13

Try with FAF ships next.
Last time I did it before the patch which actually activated them, on patch I had like a dozen Rattlesnakes hanging outside my Nopelios' shipyard killing anything that moves.

Nort The Fragrent
x4

Post by Nort The Fragrent » Sat, 12. Jun 21, 20:31

Good to read an admission to failure !
The up side is what you have learnt !
Just a thought ! What if you black list a Band on the Map, so to stop the ships escaping !
Not sure if that can be done !
So to keep your terrorists engaged !
:twisted:

KextV8
x4

Post by KextV8 » Sat, 12. Jun 21, 20:51

Even the Yaki aren't dumb enough to mess with the best faction in the game. :lol:

BelatedHero
x4

Post by BelatedHero » Sat, 12. Jun 21, 22:22

So many version ago I was playing a game where ANT was having a bit of a hard time with the Xenon. (I know right? not really possible in 4.0). Anyway, they had already lost frontier edge and there was a near constant and steady stream of Xenon N's and M's coming into the void. It was clear if I didn't intervene, the Void would fall. So I spent millions on several fully decked nemiseses. I spent nearly all my money at the time and represented hours of gameplay as I wasn't as experienced at the game yet, nor very far along.

I put them to protect the gate entrance area to the Void. It started to work. They were shooting down the Xenon fighters. Feeling proud of myself I go about my business. About 30 minutes later, I get a flood of red on my log. All of them died. I look at the map. Two K's are sitting there amongst the floating graveyard of my "mighty fleet".

Looking back on it today, it really wasn't such a big loss. But to a new player, who thought the Nemesis was one of the strongest forces regularly available to the player (after all, who would ever be rich enough to afford more than two or three destroyers?), this was a devastating blow.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Sun, 13. Jun 21, 00:50

Raptor34 wrote:
Sat, 12. Jun 21, 12:13
Try with FAF ships next.
Last time I did it before the patch which actually activated them, on patch I had like a dozen Rattlesnakes hanging outside my Nopelios' shipyard killing anything that moves.
the FAF and I are not on the best of terms... to the point that I'm camping the shipyards the rattlesnakes get produced at so I can stomp them out of existence before they run all over the place. If there was a meaningful way to adjust FAF rep, that would be a consideration in the future.
Nort The Fragrent wrote:
Sat, 12. Jun 21, 20:31
Good to read an admission to failure !
The up side is what you have learnt !
Just a thought ! What if you black list a Band on the Map, so to stop the ships escaping !
Not sure if that can be done !
So to keep your terrorists engaged !
:twisted:
Because they're not my ships, they're Yaki ships, i have no control over where they go sadly. They just up and leave...
KextV8 wrote:
Sat, 12. Jun 21, 20:51
Even the Yaki aren't dumb enough to mess with the best faction in the game. :lol:
Certainly the most coddled faction in the game. Certainly get the best starting setup in the game, in a BIG way... Certainly given way too many warships, not enough threats, and not enough enemies... Certainly the easiest economy to work with...

But the best faction? eh.... we'll have to agree to incredibly strongly disagree... i hate the terrans.
Last edited by grapedog on Sun, 13. Jun 21, 00:54, edited 2 times in total.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Sun, 13. Jun 21, 00:53

BelatedHero wrote:
Sat, 12. Jun 21, 22:22
So many version ago I was playing a game where ANT was having a bit of a hard time with the Xenon. (I know right? not really possible in 4.0). Anyway, they had already lost frontier edge and there was a near constant and steady stream of Xenon N's and M's coming into the void. It was clear if I didn't intervene, the Void would fall. So I spent millions on several fully decked nemiseses. I spent nearly all my money at the time and represented hours of gameplay as I wasn't as experienced at the game yet, nor very far along.

I put them to protect the gate entrance area to the Void. It started to work. They were shooting down the Xenon fighters. Feeling proud of myself I go about my business. About 30 minutes later, I get a flood of red on my log. All of them died. I look at the map. Two K's are sitting there amongst the floating graveyard of my "mighty fleet".

Looking back on it today, it really wasn't such a big loss. But to a new player, who thought the Nemesis was one of the strongest forces regularly available to the player (after all, who would ever be rich enough to afford more than two or three destroyers?), this was a devastating blow.
I imagine everyone learns this lesson, lol. I know I did when I had I think a single destroyer with like 10-15 fighters guarding I think... the Hatikvah's Choice I gate into from Tharkas Cascade space. Those poor lads... they didn't last long in much the same way yours didn't. But that was where I built my first defense station... learned a lot pretty darn quickly.

Ragnos28
x4

Post by Ragnos28 » Sun, 13. Jun 21, 01:11

BelatedHero wrote:
Sat, 12. Jun 21, 22:22

I used to just leave the Xenon little gifts, like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLGzoanFueU&t=2s
Cost: 50 kk

BelatedHero
x4

Post by BelatedHero » Sun, 13. Jun 21, 06:20

Ragnos28 wrote:
Sun, 13. Jun 21, 01:11
I used to just leave the Xenon little gifts, like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLGzoanFueU&t=2s
Cost: 50 kk
Nice design. I like how the docking piers look like massive guns jutting out from a shielded core. Like in real life how artillery guns sticking out from a bunker that protects the person firing. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longues-s ... _gun_2.jpg

Diroc
x4

Post by Diroc » Wed, 16. Jun 21, 09:29

After the early mess the Xenon made when I was first learning to play, I started over and made the mistake of a rush early offensive. I also supported Paranid unification. I ended up with a hug it out universe. It's great "In theory" It got old quick. I'm not sorry I did it. I enjoyed the storyline. Some people prefer that outcome to the alternative. This is not a discussion of the storylines, which may or may not be better for you. For me, the biggest failure was not in the choices but in being too clingy to my invested time. I started over much later than I should have. I'm having more fun without my mega-factoy shipyards. Not because I don't have them yet, but because I choose not to have them yet. Being an opportunist (for me) is much more fun than having the means to sidestep any effort with a few clicks at an everything available shipyard. I'm not in a hurry to micromanage billions of credits of fun just yet. :!:

Return to “X4: Foundations”